Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Balloon Cutter Build
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc. THANK YOU! That's one of the reason's this is the best modelling website on the internet, I really appreciate this. I'll give it a try, thanks again, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi everyone. If you're still interested, you can go to my gallery and see the progress of the build. I attached the clear parts, the fit is O.K. here. I'll try to post some photos later this week. Sorry you had to see them this way. I feel like a real clutz not being able to post to the build log, I'm sure it's something on my end, anyway, thanks for looking, Wingman out.

Hi Mike

Rest assured, you're not the only one having problems with the new gallery system. I added an illustrated Step-By-Step Guide that I hope might help.

All the best Thanks Rowan. That should help me out, I really appreciate it. I love that engine in that one photo, very nice, Wingman out.

Rowan

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 07:25 PM UTC
I am never using the system here at Kitmaker for photos - except when I have to post for campaigns. I always use photobucket.com and it has never failed so far for my 1000+ photos. I can really recommend it - easy to use and for free.
Removed by original poster on 03/23/08 - 02:20:52 (GMT).
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
Lookin' good so far wingman.

BTW, the Wolfpack is already here!

IAN
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 02:47 PM UTC
I filled and sanded the seams with gap filling superglue on the fuselage and used Mr. Surfacer 500 for the bad fit at the wing root and tailplanes. I decided to glue the clear parts on first, this is a first for me, before painting started. I used ModelMaster RLM 76 mixed with flat white on the underside of the plane. I used Floquil's British Dark Earth[Military Colors] for some streaking along with some Tamiya Smoke mixed with a little flat black. I think I'll use a Raw Umber wash to further weather the underside. There should be four hard points under the wing for the bombs, THAT'S MY STUPID MISTAKE. The landing gear parts received a brushed on coat of Future followed with a very light wash of Future and Raw Umber. The tires were pianted using ModelMaster Antracitgrau[RAL 7016]. The wheels were washed with Future mixed with Yellow Ochre and Raw Sienna paint. I wanted to give the wheels that dusty look being that the groundwork for this dio will be an all dirt base. I decided to leave the photo-etch balloon cutter off until all masking and painting have been completed. I'll keep you guys posted now that I know how to bring photos over to the post. THANKS MERLIN FOR THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hi Michael!

Very nice update! The wash on the wheels and tires looks great!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:43 PM UTC
Coming on great Michael, I do like the wash on the wheels, I will have to try that

Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I'll start masking the underside and start applying the camo to the topside. I'm going to use the kit decals for this build as they look pretty thin and in good register. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hello. It's been awhile. Camo has been applied with a wash of Raw Umber oil paint that followed on top and bottom. Exhaust stains were applied with very thin black with the exhaust shrouds going on next.I'm going to leave the removable canopy off, you can see the detail in the cockpit better. The fit of the clear parts could be a little better. The kit decals went on well. The swatstikas are from an Aeromaster sheet. They are not provided with the kit. Engine fronts fit well as did the viewing ports on the side of the engines. According to my reference, the outside ports were covered. A few more touch ups and it's on the balloon cutter itself, THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME. Thanks for looking everyone, Wingman out.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 01:21 PM UTC
Looks really good, Wingman. A nice faded and weathered look to the top surfaces.
Looking forward to see it finished with the whole balloon cutter arrangement attached.
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
I'm so glad to see this build back. It looks really good Wingman.

I have started using the ink wash technique I asked about earlier in the thread and it's working brilliantly. Thank you so much for your advice.

Once again I look forward to more updates.

H
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks really good, Wingman. A nice faded and weathered look to the top surfaces.
Looking forward to see it finished with the whole balloon cutter arrangement attached.

Thanks Jesper. I'm not going to start the balloon cutter itself 'til everything is done on the plane so as not to damage the frail photo-etch. thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm so glad to see this build back. It looks really good Wingman.

I have started using the ink wash technique I asked about earlier in the thread and it's working brilliantly. Thank you so much for your advice.

Once again I look forward to more updates.

H

Thanks for the kind words Howard. I love that wash too. You have to give credit to the modeller on Hyperscale, that's where I got it from. He did a very nice T-Bolt. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi guys. Just a short build update. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, they were taken with a point and shoot. I started assembly on the photo-etch balloon cutter. It wasn't too bad. It looks like it will line up O.K. The supports that come out from the sides of the nose of the plane look like they will be strong enough to hold up all that photo-etch. I decided to paint the cutter when it's attached to the plane. I'll just have to do some careful masking. As for the jackstands, I don't know what a German jackstand looks like. For the flat base I used a section cut out from the sideskirts from a German tank. I then took the fins from a bomb, drilled out a hole at the base of the fins to allow the steel shaft to slide into it. The handle to 'jack' up the jack is from a pitot tube. All these parts are from the spares box. Sorry for the delay in updates. Some wedding photography came up. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:57 AM UTC
Thats such an impressive bit of kit!! I really want to get mine started after seeing that

Not far off now wingman, I look forward to the finished article.

H
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
Thanks Howard. I just installed the rams into the jacks and scuffed the paint on the grab handles. I made sure the rams were nice and straight and then applied liberal amounts of superglue so when I set the plane on top of the jacks, the rams won't move. I have to dullcoat the jacks and the crate. I also attached the first of the two supports that come off the front of the nose. I'm going to let these dry awhile to make sure that they won't collapse when the rest of the balloon cutter is installed. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi everyone. Just a quick update. I started to attach the 'cutter' to the plane. I attached the supports that come off the front of the fuselage first and then used that as a starting point to attach the cutter. I tried to line up the cutter as best as I could without prying up the already glued down photo-etch and then marring the paint.Being that the photo-etch is so thin, it tends to bend in a way that throws the allignment off, so I stuck with what I thought would look the best as far as being lined up, it could look better. I attached the antenna mast and the connection point for the antenna to the tail. I'm going to let the cutter dry for a day before I start on the underside connection points. I was planting some grasses outback and I'll use that dirt for the groundwork for the diorama. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 05:39 AM UTC
Hi Wingman,

Looks really good, I especially like the upper surface camo. Which paints did you use?

Steve
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC
Thanks Steve. I used ModelMaster enamels inside and out. I then gave the entire plane a wash of Raw Umber artist oil paint, wiping it away in the direction of the airflow[front to back]. I'm going to finish attaching the cutter tonight and then dry brush it lightly with ModelMaster Chrome Silver toned down with Raw Umber oil paint. I'm going to start sifting the dirt for the groundwork Tuesday. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi Michael!

Great job on the PE cutter!

The rest of the model is looking great too...

Jean-Luc
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi. Thanks Jean-Luc. I have another update. Attachment of the cutter is complete. Although I think it could look better. I drybrushed the cutter with ModelMaster Chrome Silver. The antenna wire has been attached and tightened and touch ups made. I fitted the gun to the inside of the gondola door and attached the hinge to the door.That will be the last thing to go on before completion. Drops of white glue are being applied to the wing tips for the lights. The crates and barrels are resin items form Custom Dioramics. The table with the tools and tool box and the wood lid with the tarp and tools are resin items from Verlinden. The base for the dio is cut to shape and the edges sanded smooth. Dirt from the backyard was sifted, I might do a little more sifting. Thanks for following this build, Wingman out.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hello. I did a preliminary layout of where I would like everything to go. I applied a thin white glue/water mixture to the base and then applied the sifted dirt. I think I will go with this layout here. The cover for the direction finder has to be pushed back down, it's just layin' in there for now. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hello. I did a preliminary layout of where I would like everything to go. I applied a thin white glue/water mixture to the base and then applied the sifted dirt. I think I will go with this layout here. The cover for the direction finder has to be pushed back down, it's just layin' in there for now. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Wingman

very nice model and equipment !!!!

... though I think the hydraulic equipment was just used in an workshop environment. I would say than some concrete tiles are better suited as base. For lifting crash landed a/c cranes or air bags were used ... just my two € cent

best wishes

Steffen