JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:41 PM UTC
Great looking and well thoughtout, unique build! ;-) :-)

Your cockpit is awesome. You've got to tutor me on painting the canopy--when I built mine, the masking so frustrated me that I hand-painted it!

Quoted Text

May I ask how you do the future wash? Is it a case of mixing the paint with the future(Klear) stuff and washing it on as per the normal oil wash?

Hi Howard,

Here's a step-by-step: Wash Techniques
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hi Steffen. That sounds right. My thoughts went right to jackstands when I was "thinking' about how to go about this dio. It wasn't going to be a dio at all in the beginning. Thanks for the kind comment, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi Fred. Thank you for the nice comment. As far as masking and painting canopies, I use BareMetal Foil. It's very thin, so you can see the canopy braces well and it sticks well to the plastic. When I have the piece of foil where I want it, I cut it a little larger than what I need, I smooth it out with a Q-Tip and then I take a rounded off toothpick and burnish it along the raised canopy braces. I use a brand new #11 blade, very good lighting and a magnifying hat to help me with these old eyes. The trick is to really take your time and hold the blade at a 45 degree angle. When I'm all done with painting, I remove the masking with a toothpick as it won't damages the clear plastic. I then use baby oil to remove the residue from the glue. By the way, the clear parts are dipped in Future before all this happens. Since I use Future, I can use small amounts of superglue to attach the clear parts to the model itself. The Future prevents the glue from frosting up the part. Hope this helps, The wash feature in this comment box is very nice by the way. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi. Finally done. First of all, thanks to everyone that follwed the build. I really welcomed all your kind comments. For those of you that followed the build you'll know why the landing gear and wheels were removed. The build went fairly well. The fit could of been a bit better around the cockpit and the fuselage/wingroot areas. Some of the panel lines just vanish into thin air. The detail you get for the cockpit is wonderful. I think I should have removed the "strap" between the shoulder harness. The footprints were made by pressing the lower torso of a Verlinden resin figure into the still somewhat wet groundwork. I think I'll be moving on to a 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane MkIIc in an all white scheme with SuperScale Decals. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

[imghttp://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/Abandon_010.JPG[/img]

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 09:24 PM UTC
Just magic. I esp like your ability to improvise when things go wrong. turning it into an abandoned repair yard is so much more than it would have been otherwise. I can almost hear those tanks rumbling over the perimeter.
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 09:27 PM UTC
Absolutely love that Wingman. Enjoyed the build and the result is brilliant.

Thank you so much for posting this thread.

H
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hi JP and Howard. Thank you so much for the very kind words. Like I said before, maybe it was me that should have looked at the directions closer or they should have made it more clear about installing the landing gear before assembling the wing halves. Oh well, I pretty much enjoyed the build. I'm looking forward to starting the Hurricane, something small and not as complex. Once again, THANKS to everyone that followed along. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP