_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
1:48 seat harnesses
Hightower
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Hi all, I am working on several 1:48 scale aircraft and helicopters. Is there a tutorial or link on how to fashion these from tape, paper strips, or how would you take the decal type of harness (which I have) and apply it to make it look 3d ?
thanks and cheers eh ?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all, I am working on several 1:48 scale aircraft and helicopters. Is there a tutorial or link on how to fashion these from tape, paper strips, or how would you take the decal type of harness (which I have) and apply it to make it look 3d ?
thanks and cheers eh ?

Hi.
Ive never scratchbuilt and detailed seatbelts in 1:48 but there are plenty of people on here who do that and Im sure you'll get an answer very quickly.
As for making decal harnesses look 3D, very carefully cut around the decal, leaving it on the paper backing and attach it to the seat like that.
Nige
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
The lead foil from wine bottles (or my favourite - Single Malt Whiskey) makes for good harnesses, or as Nige said, use the decal still on it's backing paper.

HTH

Andy
Razorback51
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 01:37 PM UTC
iv been making 1/48 scale for some time now and found that a simple strip of masking tape folded on its self makes a good representation for a harness strap it is pretty much the right color and has a good texture to it. You can also make a wider strip and cut it to shape so the straps don't look to straight for the waist straps i tend to cut with a slight S shape to them to add realism

Also you can use the links from a small chain or an old necklaces for buckles...... ( but ask the wife first hehe )

Hope this helps

happy modeling
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi, here's a link to my work bench builds, the Spitfire Mk 1 has a little snippet on making seat belts. You can substitute the foil for paper or electricions tape with the adhesive removed. on the work bench

here's another link to my latest build, the seat belts are made in a similar way to the Spitfire harness, but this is in 1/32 Fw 190D-9

Mal
 _GOTOTOP