_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Phantom Weathered and with Missles attached
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
I had done the weathering for the Phantom. WIth first enemal wash, then thinly sprayed black. I am trying to duplicate a very dirty Marine Phantom here, as Phantoms operated off Carriers usually get rather dirty. SInce it's the first time I do a modern Jet, so I really don't have much idea on how to weather them further so any comment is welcome.

I had attached missles, 4 Sparrows, 4 Sidewinders, I am waiting for some additional bombs from my good friend Stug for "BomB the plane up"

FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
My god!!!! That thing is Ugly :-) :-) :-) :-)

I wish I could say that one time but alas this is another fine example of your extreme craftmanship with plastic and paints and definietely to much time on your hands in your Fluvian Modelbuilding plant :-) :-)
I think it`s time that the men in black are dropping by to see how you do this all

Great job and I bow to your cockpit canope how you manage to keep it that clean because that`s the main reason I`m doing armor hehehehe

Congrats on this bird though I rather see an old warbird but this looks ok to me

Eagle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC
Dave,

you where right yesterday on MSN Chat..... it's a good thing that the site let's me in again, so I am back in time to be able see this excellent bird !!

Quality modeling !!

Danny
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Very nice weathering - I think you did a great job on the weathering. The nose looks a bit clean ? Don't know if its just the lighting or wheat. Still looks good as is.
I know when I did mine there were LOTS of bomb load options - I definitely had to do some research on what to hang on it. I'm sure you've done your homework there, can't wait to see what else this bird is packing.

Great job.
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
Dave, my Brother and Friend:

P-han-tastic (hehe)
H-oly smokes this looks great
A-wesome decal job
N-ice weathering
T-errific weapons load
O-utstanding paint job
M-an (as in you "Da Man"!!)

Another great set of pics Dave, thanks.

Steve aka WeWillHold
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hi Dave..... You really have out done youself on this one...... :-) It's a beauty !!!!!!!
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 06:42 AM UTC
This is a really awesome plane man... damn I have a lot of practice ahead of me...
BroAbrams
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 07:06 AM UTC
Dave, you may be right about doing planes better than armor, it is looking pretty incredible for your second real effort. Did you do the streaks with an airbrush?

Rob
dioman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 07:14 AM UTC
Dave....what can I say man? I am in awe of you modelling talent and how you can bounce from a tank to a boat to a plane...but most of all...how you can bounce from doing all those losers to finally doing 1 on the winning side!!! #:-)
All kidding aside.....when I was on a tour of a US flattop a few years ago....i too noticed how dirty those planes really were...and the guy who was guiding us told us that they had all been cleaned before the tour.......glad my Mom wasn't with us.....she would have done the white glove test and grounded all those involved in the "cleaning" and made them do it all over again!!!!
Very VERY nice job!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC
:-) Dave another wonderful job, certainly looks the part, has a certain presence about it. The decalling is excellant. How long did that take? I know Phantoms have hundreds of stencils :-)
Mal
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hey Dave excellent job as usual ...I still haven't finish one kit this year and you just keep throwing them out there ...amazing job...I had the chance to get up close and personal with a german Phantom a few years back at a show...The thing that really amazed me was how black and sooty the jet was aft of the engines ...and these were at an airshow ...I accually ran my finger through it ...it felt very oily and was thick ...it even cover part of the tail ...
So what's next ...?

Rick
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC
Dave, excellent job. I expect a full-length write-up detailing how you built this great bird.

I've got to get me one of these.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC
Lordette Dave speaks!!:

Good job Dave!! ( one who built wingy thingy #:-) ) I waish mine looked like that!!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 03:03 PM UTC
Dave:
Your weathering hit the nail on the head. Not only did the carrier based Phantoms get dirty but the land based ones did as well.
One characteristic of this beautiful flying machine was it leaked like a sieve idling on the deck, but once in the air, she would tighten up like a drum.
We used to ahve on old saying with The Phantom. " If it ain't leaking, it is empty.
Once again great job and are you sure that you only build armor?? :-)
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 06:19 PM UTC
David

that is beautiful work man... I think you might have found your second calling..

great work david really great work
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
Dave, that bird looks ready to fly!!

I am absolutely in awe of your talent, sir. I don't want to gush, but the work you produce is just astounding in its consistant quality. You are amazing.

Mike

Oberst
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 03:18 AM UTC
Not being an airplane modeller, i can only comment on aestetic quailtiy. IT LOOKS GREAT :-)

Very nice weathering and painting Dave.
Take care,

Andrew

TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 06:31 AM UTC
Very nice job on the weathering.Remember,the armament can be clean,but the vehicle would be dirty.Fight the urge and keep the weapons clean(fresh out of the box) .
.I doubt any carrier pilot would risk a landing with any unused stores still mounted.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:23 PM UTC
Tank is half right. The ordnance would be the cleanest thing on the bird, but not out of the box clean. If these birds came back with any stores still loaded the would be dirty from the flight and previous flight they were on. Ordnance was never really cleaned so the dirt would come from the loading and unloading of the bird.
Depending on what was hanging from the wings at the time of landing. Sometimes they would dump the bombs if the weight was to high for the arresting gear. Missles if not used were always brought back and used on other hops. Napalm always had a one way ticket. That stuff would never come back.
avukich
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 12:36 AM UTC
Great Job Dave! You certainly are an inspiration. Is there anything you can't build?
mongo_mel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:31 AM UTC
Excellent job Dave! I'm impressed that you can build such different subjects and do them all so well. So let's see some figures now! :-)
RichSharpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
That's looking amazing!

Don't overload your plane so much that you it exceeds the takeoff weight though
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
Dave:
That's awsome!!!
What's on TV?

Nate
Wisc. USA
merkava8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:02 AM UTC
Quite nice Dave! But when are you going to do ARMOUR again!!! #:-) #:-) #:-)
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:12 AM UTC
You do us Dave's proud. You have a new fan now. I can almost smell the Jp4 fuel .. Grat job! You deserve at least a five gun salute
 _GOTOTOP