Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Fieseler Fi 156 Storch
falcon04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 08:12 PM UTC
"Die alte Tante und der Storch" ( J. Piekalkiewicz, Motorbuch, 2006 ) has a much better reproduction of left front quarter pic of "SF + RL" - clear enough to identify Rommel in the back seat - which unfortunately does not really answer the question. I would point out the following:

(1) The black of the codes and national insignia has a high contrast with the darker underlying color. Most contemporary pics show a very low contrast between 70/71 and black. This would argue against 70/71. You can't see the 70/71 breaks, but this is often pretty hard to do even in non-oversprayed aircraft.

(2) The canopy frames appear darker than the fuselage paint, but you can't really tell if they are a solid color.

(3) Other pics of Rommel in an unidentified Fi-156 show a very similar tone and clearly show the vermicelli on the frames. May be the same aircraft, may not be.

(4) A clear pic of a solid sand upper Fi-156 from the same unit show a very very light overall appearance - which our subject does not.

Ortho film would cause the yellow-tan to appear darker and the light blue to appear lighter - leading to the high contrast of the other photo in the HS thread if it were light blue over sand.. No telling what film was used.

"Recon for Rommel" does have some great color pics - but only one of a Storch IIRC, unfortunately. ( Interesting color cover photo shows quite a difference between the Hs-126 and the Caproni re. the "sand" color )

I was initially in the 70/71/65 camp, but I'm really no longer as certain -Tamiya's guess is as good as any of ours.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was initially in the 70/71/65 camp, but I'm really no longer as certain -Tamiya's guess is as good as any of ours.

Hi falcon04!

I think the more I read about Luftwaffe colors the more I realize it is almost impossible to be 100% sure about anything...

Quoted Text

I dont suppose you have any photos of the failed attempts at spraying the camouflage?

Unfortunately no... But I think it's time to tell you how I really did those vermicellis...

I cheated!
When I realized I wasn't able to spray the camouflage freehand, I made myself a set of masks with transparent plastic sheets and a Dremel tool. I placed them randomly over the model and... sprayed. It was a rather long process but I managed to have the result I wanted. The fact that I used acrylics made things easier because of the fast drying time of the paint.

I think I deserve to return amongst the mortals now.

Jean-Luc
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:08 AM UTC
An awesome looking build and spray job, Jean-Luc! ......Tres bon, c'est super (Desole, I'm still teaching myself French! lol)
falcon04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
Now THAT is a great technique !
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I'm not an expert at all so these are only speculations! And please Gabriel, let's be serious, don't call me God again! I wonder what word we could use for the real talented modelers out there!

Jean-Luc

How about "MODELLER EXTRORDINAIRE' " ? Your work is AMAZING!
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 07:56 AM UTC
Very cool looking Jean Luc. She's gonna be a pretty bird when you're done. I actually got to see this kit in person for the first time last night. WOW! It is a work of art. And you, mon ami, are doing it justice!

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:36 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

LOL! I've never seen Frisket film attacked with a motor tool before! Excellent lateral-thinking. Another new technique to remember.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi all!

Just a small update to show that I'm still working on the Storch diorama. I've worked on the Sd.Kfz. 250 Greif...

Ok, it's not a plane but it's nevertheless a nice kit to build and I'm looking forward to glue those tracks together!
I've also assembled some figures from the Storch and Greif kits. The grey ones are from the former and the tan ones from the later...

The Rommel "desert" figure is present in both kits. There are also two seated figures. In total there are 3 Rommels in the Storch kit and one in the Greif: this makes four Rommels!
All the struts and various detail parts have been painted as well...

I'm waiting for Mal's Miracle Masks now. As soon as I get them I'll spray the markings on the plane...

Jean-Luc
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 09:53 PM UTC
Four Rommels, that would have given the Allies something to think about! Given his own way, one might have been enough..

Steve
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc.
Looking good!! Very ingenious method for masking the vermicellis.
Like many things that initially look extremely complicated, once you break it down into the basic components, the solution is surpisingly simple.
Nige
Erlawerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 - 07:58 PM UTC
aaahhhh,
Jean-Luc, I have no words for this fantastic built!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 01:36 AM UTC
Jean-Luc, a stunning build, as ever and very inspirational.

One question Jean-Luc, can I have your permission to produce some masks, similar to yours, for the vermicellis?

Mal
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
FOUR Rommels!?! This reminds me of the hillarious sketch by Monthy Pyton (Live at the Hollywood bowl), with Michelangelo and the pope. For those who need a reminder (or just a really good laugh), see this clip from Youtube.

I think you should build all four of them (kind of Saddam Hussein and his look-alikes) - or at least one fat Rommel and two skinny ones - just to add a some healthy surrealism to your diorama!

Ps. Great inovative work on the squiggles!

Cheers! // PolarBear
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hi all!

Yes, I think that with four Rommels, the germans would have won the war. Fortunately there was only one...

Mal, of course you can do your own vermicelli masks. Mine are not copyrighted... However, I think that if you cut adhesive masks you won't have the slightly blurred effect I've got with my transparent plastic ones...

I received your Miracle Masks set for the Storch today. I've used them right away and here is the result...

I must be honest and say that the german crosses, especially the small ones on the fuselage, are not as easy to apply as japanese Hinomarus. However, with some care, a good result can be achieved. I think it's not 100% perfect, but it's the first time I used them to do german markings. With some minor touch ups it will look perfect I think. The painted on markings look better in real than on the pictures for which I used the macro mode of the digital camera.

Mal, as you can see on the third picture I reduced slightly the thickness of the R's leg. It was to thick on the mask.

Ok, now that the markings are applied, the build can continue...

Jean-Luc
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

FOUR Rommels!?! This reminds me of the hillarious sketch by Monthy Pyton (Live at the Hollywood bowl), with Michelangelo and the pope. For those who need a reminder (or just a really good laugh), see this clip from Youtube.

I think you should build all four of them (kind of Saddam Hussein and his look-alikes) - or at least one fat Rommel and two skinny ones - just to add a some healthy surrealism to your diorama!

Ps. Great inovative work on the squiggles!

Cheers! // PolarBear

EXACTLY! THE FAT ONE WILL BALANCE OUT THE TWO SKINNY ONES!!!!!

Jean Luc you are a Michaelangelo !
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 04:45 PM UTC
Excellent job, Jean-Luc

The details, the vermic...okay... scribbeling camouflage is great. I am happy to see that you are moving into the AFV category as well.

Thanks for sharing - I am looking forward to see more
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

I am happy to see that you are moving into the AFV category as well.

Yes, but the vehicle will always be a "faire valoir" of the aircraft for me...

I didn't do much today. It was my turn to do the baby-sitter. But I managed to find some time to spray the swastikas with Mal's Masks. I think that with such small markings with thin outlines we reach the limits of the masking technique...

Remember that this is a picture taken in macro mode (you can even see the texture of the paint). In real it looks much better.

It's time to write a conclusion about Mal's Miracle Masks for Luftwaffe markings. For late war crosses (only white lines) they will be perfect regardless of the size. They are also great for big black and white crosses as well as fuselage codes and numbers. For smaller crosses in black and white they will work with some care and patience. The black and white swastikas are not easy to do though...
Now I hope that Mal will find a way to do those dotted walkway lines...

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 01:41 AM UTC
Nicely done Jean-Luc, the macro mode shows that the blade on the cutter seems to be trialing and leaving a slight kink at the corners, but on the normal viewing scale they aren't apparent. Yes getting the shevrons back in to mask the white is tricky. I think that I will have to take another look at the swastikas, but they are very difficult to use and I'm tempted not to do them in 1/48 scale, but 1/32 and 1/24 scales are much easier. I'm disapointed with the "R" I did check them against the decal sheet however you seem to have had no problem sorting it out.
Yep you are correct Jean-Luc the crosses with black edges are difficult and do require care to use and maybe only suited to the larger scales, I will have to look harder at that. I am working on the white dotted walkways, I may just have a solution

Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi all!

Just a small update to keep the thread alive. I didn't worked much on the Storch kit since I was focused on the diorama in the past days. The latter takes much more time than the aircraft model...

The model was "Klired" (french for "Futurized" ) to receive the smaller decals. Applying a gloss finish is also necessary prior to do the panel line wash. That's what I will do next...

I think that on these pictures, Mal's Miracle Masks are more to their advantage...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Looking great! And the step-by-step on Miracle masks is a real help. I used them on my Ki 10 and had good results (pics to come eventually, I promise) and Mal's looking at doing some masks for the Hobby Boss Wildcat.

Like me, you've made a start on Rommel's halftrack - make sure you check out my question over on Armorama - it looks like Tamiya may well have got the colour of the interior wrong. My suspicions were raised when I hunted the web for references. Although I'd made a fair amount of progress, I stripped the paint off mine and started again.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

I'm afraid it's too late. I glued the main parts of the Greif this morning...

Well, let's say the Fieldmarchal Rommel wanted his vehicle to be all sand because he didn't liked grey. Oh, I forgot the green patches as well. I must not forget to add them...

Below is a picture which explains why I didn't made much progress on the Storch. I spent almost all my time doing the diorama base...

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture...

Jean-Luc
drizzt73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:32 PM UTC
looks great. I may have to get myself a Storch sometime. Can't wait to see this Dio finished
whittman181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:05 PM UTC
What can I say-WOW, that's going to be some diorama.Cant wait to see it finished.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm afraid it's too late. I glued the main parts of the Greif this morning... Oh, I forgot the green patches as well. I must not forget to add them...

Hi Jean-Luc

Darn it - I always said you build too quickly! LOL! Anyway, Sand or Panzer Grey, it looks great. As regards the Green - I wonder if it was actually patches of the original Grey showing through? That's the route I'm taking.

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 07:20 PM UTC
That is a fantastic diorama you are making, Jean-Luc!! I also doubt that the Sd.Kfz. had green patches. Most probably it would be panzer grey worn of in places.

Anyway, looks great!