Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Academy B17F Spotted Cow
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 05:52 PM UTC
After a false start with the kit I had originally bought for this project, its back to the fun and games with the FAR superior Academy kit that arrived yesterday!
Ive been planning this build since the dazzle camel, and for ages Id been thinking how to do the masking,until Mals Miracle Masks came along
Should be dead easy now.
Heres the subject.
B17F 42-3441. The formation ship for the 384BG based at Grafton Underwood, and known as "Spotted Cow".

Assembly starts with the cockpit, and the main parts have been sprayed in an approximate chromate green mixed with Tamiya acrylics.

Nige
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi Nige,

Now I am out of my misery, I was wondering which one you was going to do every since it was posted you was doing a formation plane in your other thread. I have seen several photos of these birds before, but mainly high vis colours on tailfins, wingtips etc but never anything like this. I wonder who came up with that, it must hgave gone something like this:-

Paint shop foreman to his wife

"Hello dead, fancy a cuddle?" wink

Wife

"On your bike, I've got a headache"

THE NEXT MORNING

In the hanger next moring that days tasks are being handed out...

Foreman to newest member of unit

"Go over there and cover 42-3441 in spots. And make sure they are all perfect and the same size. And evenly spaced"

Poor LAC with spraygun in hand

"You're joking sarge, didn't you get any last night?"

Foreman

"By lunchtime if you please"

LAC

" Damn, wish someone had invented Miracle Masks. Oh well only 65 years to wait!!"
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 06:57 PM UTC

Hi Steve.
Well, after the dazzle camel I decided that stripes and straight lines in general were boring and went looking for something a bit different
After this though,,I'll probably never want to see another circle again
Of course, seeing as the Spotted Cow is a progression from the camel,it means that all of this madness is indeed Jean-Lucs fault
And before anybody says,,,yes,,I know how mad I am
Nige
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:03 PM UTC
Nige

Can't wait to see this - i'll lay off the spots in front of the eyes gags

Andy
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:26 PM UTC
Brilliant project Lampie

I will watch this thread with great interest to see your progress.

I look forward to it.

H
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi Nige,

A quick question, what colours is it to be? I assume (probably wrongly) Black spots on NMF, but the photo looks a little 'matt' so could it be black over white?

Steve
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi again Nige!

Curiosity got the better of me......

Overall white with sky bkue polka dots...

Oh my life, thats going to be loud.....

Steve
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again Nige!

Curiosity got the better of me......

Overall white with sky blue polka dots...

Oh my life, thats going to be loud.....

Steve

Thats right Steve. The "P" is white in a black triangle.
Just finishing up my old Airfix Supermarine S6B and I can get stuck into the B17
Nige
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:31 AM UTC
Cool! I'll watch this build closely as I have a close association with the 384th BG.

I also once knew a pilot from this bomb group who had taken this VERY assembly/group hack ship up for a flight.

Good stuff.................
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool! I'll watch this build closely as I have a close association with the 384th BG.

I also once knew a pilot from this bomb group who had taken this VERY assembly/group hack ship up for a flight.

Good stuff.................

Excellent!
I really enjoy doing builds where theres a story attached, especially when its a personal one. Takes our hobby to another level,rather than just "building models".
Id be really interested to hear your stories Propwash.
If you dont want to post them in a public forum Id be happy for you to PM me.
Nige
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Overall white with sky bkue polka dots...

Was it a formation ship or was it really.........

an experimental camo?

I can't wait to see her emerge from the spray booth.

-Matt
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 02:19 AM UTC
Nige, I have about half of your masks cut I will try and finish them by Sunday and hand 'em over at Huddersfield. I think that you said that you didn't but what about the star and bar markings? I think that I can do them in 1/72 for a bomber as they must be about the size of the ones on a 1/48 P-51 fuselage? Not sure that you could handle them though
I haven't been able to trial them my self on a real kit yet so you would be a bit of a guinea pig

Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige, I have about half of your masks cut I will try and finish them by Sunday and hand 'em over at Huddersfield. I think that you said that you didn't but what about the star and bar markings? I think that I can do them in 1/72 for a bomber as they must be about the size of the ones on a 1/48 P-51 fuselage? Not sure that you could handle them though
I haven't been able to trial them my self on a real kit yet so you would be a bit of a guinea pig

Mal

Hi Mal.
It makes sense to give me the masks at Huddersfield and save postage. If you have some star and bar markings ready to go I could trial them for you as well I suppose
What about the serial numbers?,would they be too small? I have decals for these but it would be nice to have a model finished totally without the use of decals.
I'll bring the finished P-47 up to Huddersfield too, it'll be the last chance to see it before it goes to Halesworth.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 - 03:46 AM UTC
Steady progress today.
All the main cockpit parts and bulkheads were glued together and the fusalage halves taped together so they dried at the correct angles. Theyve been sprayed with Klear and after some detail painting I can glue them into place and give the internal areas an oil wash. All thats left to do then is add the windows and I can close the fusalage up and hide that horrible Academy instrument panel decal.
The fit of the parts is up to usual high Academy standard and everything is looking good with test fitting indicating that the use of filler will hopefully be kept to a minimum. I'll be able to fit the clear parts to the two turrets after the model has been painted and thats going to help greatly with masking etc.

After painting the engines with Alclad Steel I couldnt resist spraying the engine cowlings blue and seeing how theyre going to look.

I think that once the fusalage is closed up this is going to be quite a quick straightforward build ............famous last words
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
nigel, you have a habit for creating build threads that I HAVE to follow. Honestly though, thanks! The B-17 (namely the F model Memphis Belle) is my favorite plane of the war. if you get a chance, you should take a trip on over to the US to the USAF Museum to see the ongoing restoration of the Memphis Belle! I'll even provide you free lodging!

All that aside, the build's looking great, and I can't wait to see those polka dots!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the offer Eric!
I was only checking up on the "Belle" restoration a couple of days ago. Bassingbourne isnt that far from me, and I believe the old control tower is now a museum.
Good news is,,I got my Miracle Masks today,,Thanks Mal
Bad news is Im back at work tomorrow so it'll be a while before I get back to the bench.
Going to make a nice change doing circles after all the stripes in the build that is responsible for inspiring me to look for unusual paint schemes.

After this,,a couple of hundred circles using Miracle Masks should be easy
Nige
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:39 AM UTC
Nige
Love the p47 SIG
But do you have a life?????

I'd be facing divorce if I tried this project or some of the others you have done

Chris
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige
Love the p47 SIG
Thanks very much

But do you have a life?????
Yes thanks,,and life is good!

I'd be facing divorce if I tried this project or some of the others you have done

Dont try them then

Chris

Nige
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:28 PM UTC
Nige, those cowls are looking great. That's a matt black you've used, right? So many model instructions seem to advise using a black that looks too shiny/glossy. Your's look spot on to me. (Spot on! Get it.....lol)
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:17 AM UTC
Propwash.
I always use matt black for my prop blades. I saw how youve started sanding down your P38 props. Theres no need to do that, as everything will get a coat of matt varnish at the end of the build.
As for mine looking "spot on",,well,,,Im glad your artwork and model making is better than your jokes
Some progress on the B17.
Wings,horizontal stabilizers, and the fusalage halves are together. These sub assemblies have been dry fitted and taped. Only a small amount of filler is going to be needed. Theres a possible gap on the underside wing roots but a spreader in the fusalage should sort that out.

I'll be passing within 5 miles of Grafton Underwood, where this B17 was based, tomorrow, and I'll take my camera and see whats left there.
Next job is to clean up all the seams before I fit the wings etc.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC
Time to add some historical information to the build.
A couple of photos of the memorial at Grafton Underwood.
Its on the line if the old main runway at the SW end, and the "Spotted Cow" would have passed this very spot many times.

The trees you can see behind the momorial in the first picture are planted along the main runway line, and are named Col Budd J Peaslee Memorial Avenue.
Col Peaslee was the 384BG Commanding Officer, Dec 1942-Sept 1943.
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 02:03 PM UTC
I expect all four engines to look like this nige!

Just hopped over to the museum, and seeing Miss Shoo Shoo Baby made me think of your build.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I expect all four engines to look like this nige!

Of course,,consider it done
Nige
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its on the line if the old main runway at the SW end, and the "Spotted Cow" would have passed this very spot many times.

The trees you can see behind the momorial in the first picture are planted along the main runway line, and are named Col Budd J Peaslee Memorial Avenue.
Nige

The Spotted Cow is looking good so far Nige. Great to see how you're usigng the Tamiya tape I asked you about.

Those photos bring some memories flooding back. I stood in that very place 8 years ago. The old village hall used to have some photos hanging up and some other 384th memorabilia. If you walk through the woods you'll find the old parachute-drying tower.................a haunting and moving place indeed..................

I went to stay with a veteran in the USA who took off on his 3rd and final mission from this base. It was the 13th April, 1944 mission to Schweinfurt!! He was the ball turret gunner. I also met the waist gunner.

Bonne chance with the build.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nige

The Spotted Cow is looking good so far Nige. Great to see how you're usigng the Tamiya tape I asked you about.

Those photos bring some memories flooding back. I stood in that very place 8 years ago. The old village hall used to have some photos hanging up and some other 384th memorabilia. If you walk through the woods you'll find the old parachute-drying tower.................a haunting and moving place indeed..................

I went to stay with a veteran in the USA who took off on his 3rd and final mission from this base. It was the 13th April, 1944 mission to Schweinfurt!! He was the ball turret gunner. I also met the waist gunner.

Bonne chance with the build.

Thanks Alex.
Im hoping to get stuck into the B17 over the next few days,but Im waiting for some canopy masks to be delivered from a company who are not exactky known for their speedy delivery times
Did you mean this parachute drying tower?

Only today I came across probably the most haunting and thought provoking "finds" Ive ever photographed.
This is one of the remaining nissan huts at Thorpe Abbots, home of the "bloody" Hundreth,100BG. It in an area marked on an old map as "barracks". Its a mile or more away from the old hardstandings so would most likely have been occupied by aircrew.

Back to the bench!
Nige
 _GOTOTOP