_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Roden GB 2008 Fok. F. I - Brad
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
Looking really good . your attention to detail is truly inspirational
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:38 AM UTC
Brad,
Looks really good! You might try a swipe with a wide brush loaded with thinner to vary the regularity of the lighter colors. The nice thing about oils is that you have a longer amount of time to work with the final finish! You are awesome as always!
RAGIII
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 05:18 PM UTC
Hey there folks, with only a couple of weeks before I move house, she is finished (mistakes and all). The majority of the major construction went relatively smoothly. I decided to keep the weathing moderate by using some oversprays, some dabs of silver on the metal parts and the odd dab of CDL to replicate minor deterioration of the poor quality fokker dope. I also used some oil washes to bring out the details and to replicate some castor oil staining under the fuselage. I only used the Roden decals for the serial numbers as the decals seemed to chip when I went to cut the crosses from the white backgrounds (If Roden is listening, it may be nice to include separate crosses in future?). As such, all of the national markings are from the spares box. Over all, even though I don't usually work in this scale, it was a fun build.

Anyways, here are some pics.

Let me hear your thoughts (Hugh, I am rather keen to see your interpretation of this kite!)

Thanks!

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 05:51 PM UTC
Greetings Brad! Excellent build! You have combined several techniques to come up with a very impressive build. It will look very sharp next to your fine Alb. D.III!
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hey Brad!

Excellent result! Congratulations.

If you don't mind me saying though, for one of your builds, this one appears... Understated.

But you did say that you wanted to finish it fairly factory fresh. And this you have succeeded in admirably.

Watch for updates on my thread soon.

Cheers,

Hugh
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 08:42 PM UTC
Thanks guys

Hugh, thanks for the feedback - as I tend to be a habitual modelling "over-stater" (especially with my shading, some like it, some don't), I am glad that she looks a little more subtle this time around! I guess it means I am closer to striking what I consider a nice balance. I look forward to seeing some updates on your F.I too!

BC
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
Excellent build Brad........

Since I'm new to the Early forum I've only recently stumbled upon this thread.....I'll have to keep my eye out for you now, excellent work. I've spent more time anaylizing the internal parts of the build and am amazed.

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 02:32 AM UTC
Execellent build Brad . I really enjoyed following this . look forward on your next one !
Cheers
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 03:56 PM UTC
Brad, I just found out that you had finished! Really nice looking model. Well done as usual!
RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 02:16 PM UTC
Brad, it looks great. The chipping is very appropriate, not overdone at all. The streaking looks good. The bracing looks quite to scale. Overall appeal is outstanding.
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hello Brad,

Really great machine. Where in the world did you get the cowling fasteners?

Regards
Steve
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hey steve - the fasteners on the front of the cowling are provided in the PART photoetched set.

Cheers!

BC
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:24 PM UTC
Thanks Brad,

They didn't include any for my SE5a project, guess I'll have to find substitutes or make some simple ones.

Regards
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
Even though Brad's build is finished I want to take a bit of time to thank him for his voluntary participation and help on this subject.

So for your precise knowlege and dedication to the subject at hand, for your fearless and forthright dedication to historical facts and fundamentals, for your clear as crystal methods of communications and benevolent offerings to the forum, you have been conferred upon, the high exalted order of eplurius unum, post hoc - ergo proctor hoc, ven venuti vetalum, illigitimus non carborundum, 1st class admiration of your peers. With all the rights and priviledges therof.
 _GOTOTOP