World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
MDC Arado Ar234B Blitz build
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 06:38 PM UTC
Thanks guys.
The cockpit interior has now been painted RLM 66, now I just have to paint some details and add about 50 decals.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:21 PM UTC
Decals for the cockpit, what have I got myself into .
Andy
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:27 AM UTC
Thats gonna be stunning Andy, and you'll be able to see all the decals though such a large area of glass.

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
Great project, Andy. It is going to look absolutely stunning when finished. Very nice cockpit. Looking forward to see it with paint on.

Thanks for sharing
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC
..bit lost for words here - great work Andy - seems its going together really quickly - eagerly awaiting the next installment

speaking as someone who'll probably never build a kit as big and complex as this one, wouldn't you have been better off painting and decalling that cockpit prior to assembly....dials seem to have raised detail from where I am...
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

speaking as someone who'll probably never build a kit as big and complex as this one, wouldn't you have been better off painting and decalling that cockpit prior to assembly....dials seem to have raised detail from where I am...

Thanks guys.
Painting and decaling it would be near enough impossible with it all glued in so the only thing that was glued was the seat and nose wheel well (which the seat sits on ), the rest of it was dry-fitted for the pic.
The cockpit is now painted and decaled, but my batteries have decided to quit, so an update will have to wait until Sunday night (unless of course you are attending the Cosford model show Sunday, where you can see it in the flesh ).
Andy
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 03:17 PM UTC
Andy:
I am really enjoying this thread. This is going to be a beautiful aircraft. I couldn't even see half of the photo etch you placed on those control surfaces. My carpet monster would of devoured them long before they ever made it on the plastic.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy:
I am really enjoying this thread. This is going to be a beautiful aircraft. I couldn't even see half of the photo etch you placed on those control surfaces. My carpet monster would of devoured them long before they ever made it on the plastic.

Thanks Taylor. This is a very enjoyable experience and I'm glad your enjoying my build as well.
Some of the P.E is quite small and so far I haven't lost any yet, but I have been on my hands and knees on the floor looking for parts that I dropped for what seems like hours sometimes .
As promised, but a bit late, photos of the cockpit. I still need to add some more of the canopy frames, then some more P.E that goes on them. I also need to wire up the instrument panel and various other parts that have wiring coming off it, err there's quite a bit of it actually .
Andy

WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy:

I am in complete agreement with Taylor! And age is not helping my eye sight either.
Beautiful looking cockpit. Makes me want to climb in and mess with the controls they look so good.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 07:03 AM UTC
I saw this wonderful model in the flesh at the model show at RAF Cosford museum on Sunday, I also got to feel the weight of it, 'kin' 'ell, it's heavy. It looks even better in the flesh than it does in Andy's pics. Nice one Andy, I can't wait to see you tackle the Typhoon

Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
It is one heavy beast, I shall make a point of weighing her after she is finished.
I am now wiring the cockpit up and as it has taken me near enough a whole day to do the instrument panel, don't expect any updates for at least a couple of days. Wires, more wires, wires everywhere hahahahaha .
Andy
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Andy
I too am finding this thread facinating.
What a great kit its proving to be, plus all your hard work doing it justice.
It seems to get better every time I 'drop in' for a progress check.
Can't wait to see the camo when you get to it.
Rivetting.

Quoted Text

I can't wait to see you tackle the Typhoon

Oh Mal....
One might say the same about a certain bunch of Fw Ta183s...well one of them at least.

Cheers and thanks.
Peter

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks Peter, glad your enjoying the build. The camo scheme won't be going on for a few more days yet.
A little progress report. the cockpit wiring is done, only took the best part of 3 days . I used 5 amp fuse wire and a couple of wires out of an old set of headphones. According to the few (good) pics i have, there is a lot more wiring in the cockpit but space (none of, and remember this pic is at least 4 times the size of the kit) ,and trying to figure out where they all go to and from is confusing to say the least.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 09:27 AM UTC
Scary thought, I started this cockpit 2 weeks ago and I'm still building and painting it, I could have finished a 1/48th kit by now .
Fingers crossed (which won't help me model any lol ) the cockpit should be finished Sunday night.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:44 AM UTC
I knew things were going too well. Whilst dry-fitting the front canopy I noticed there is a chip out of the side. Now I don't know if I broke it or if it was already broken, but I shall have too replace the part. I shall phone MDC to get a replacement to pick up Sunday at Hinckley model show. Until then I'll have to work on other parts of the kit, so at least I have something to do.
Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:17 AM UTC
Excellent cockpit, Andy! And for once it can be seen when the aircraft is finished due to all the clear parts.
Too bad about the broken cockpit part - hopefully it can be replaced by MDC without any hazzle.

Looking forward to see more
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 04:03 AM UTC
This is truly a heroic build! One of my favorite aircraft, that cockpit is one of the most beautiful designs- just imagine strapping one of these babies on! Yours is looking magnificent- I'll be avidly following along. Cheers!
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:33 AM UTC
Thanks Chuck and Jesper, the cockpit is the best part of this kit and I'm glad its not going to be hidden away.
MDC have not only replaced the broken cockpit part but has given me a whole new set of clear parts.
I have managed to get the camo done. I have used White Ensign Models Luftwaffe Colourcoats range enamels ( a review can be found here ). Underside and sides was painted with RLM 76 Lichblau with RLM 81 Braunviolett and RLM 82 Hellgrun uppers and sides.
The camo needs touching up in some places, then i shall proceed to paint the markings and stencils on using Miracle Paint Masks
, supplied by our own Mal Mayfield (Holdfast).
Andy
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi andy!

Wow! Looks great so far!

I can't wait to see Mal's Miracles on this one...

It's nice you've got some clear replacements parts from MDC. Do you plan to paint the black sealing inside the transparencies?

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:15 AM UTC
I had the pleasure of seeing this in the flesh at the Hinckley model show on Sunday. Vertually everyone who passed the Kitmaker club stand stopped to admire the beast. I think those that didn't were only armour modellers anyway

Nice one Andy.

Andy now has the full set of MDC 1/32 scale beauties as he bought their Ki-61 at the show. He is now on firdt name terms with Bob at MDC

Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC
After buying the full range of kits from MDC Andys probably on his Xmas card list as well
The Arados getting better and better, and it certainly attracted a lot of attention on the Bulldogs stand on Sunday.
Cant wait to see it with the markings on!
Nige
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:09 PM UTC
Oh Yes...
Just lovely. The camo is really nice. Love the softness of it. And that cockpit contrasts so well.

Hmmm...markings...yes please.

Cheers
Peter
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

Quoted Text

Hmmm...markings...yes please.

Cheers
Peter

Your wish is my command .
I have got to say a big thank you to Mal for supplying the masks (even the half circle step marks are masks), they work brilliantly, so Thanks Mal.
All the markings are sprayed on using Tamiya acrylics.
Andy

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi andy!
It's nice you've got some clear replacements parts from MDC. Do you plan to paint the black sealing inside the transparencies?

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc, the black frames are decals. I have thought about trying to paint them and adding rivets, but I have decided not to bugger up the second set of clear parts, so will use the decals.
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:53 PM UTC
Now it really is looking good any thoughts or suggestions about using the masks? Did you use the edge of a piece of backing paper to help position the swastika?

Thinks(Don't mention it to Andy but I reckon that I can advertise the masks with the slogan, "If Andy can, anyone can" yep that'll be good, of to my web site to add that) Thinks

Did you find the masks easy to use?

Mal