_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
MDC Arado Ar234B Blitz build
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi Andy

It's looking fantastic! I wish I'd been able to get along to one of the recent shows to see it "in the flesh", so to speak. I'll definitely be buying one of these beauties at some point!

I've finally published my promised review of the TIffy, so I'll get my own chance to tackle an MDC kit later in the year.

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now it really is looking good any thoughts or suggestions about using the masks? Did you use the edge of a piece of backing paper to help position the swastika?

Errr nope, I just stuck it on using the Mk 1 eyeball.

Quoted Text

Thinks(Don't mention it to Andy but I reckon that I can advertise the masks with the slogan, "If Andy can, anyone can" yep that'll be good, of to my web site to add that) Thinks

That's a pretty good slogan, and very catchy. Infamy, infamy they all have it infamy .

Quoted Text

Did you find the masks easy to use?

Mal

Very easy to use. The new sticker masks are very err sticky and take a bit of persuading to get off, but worked very well for the small letters and numbers.

Thanks Rowan. The Arado is well worth the money, time and effort and is an absolute joy to build, so go and treat yourself.
I am really looking forward to tackling the Typhoon now.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC
2 x Sc250 and 1 Sc 500 bombs built. The round P.E was pretty easy to bend, I just heated it up on the gas stove and then bent it round an old paintbrush handle (yes the metal was hot, so 2 pairs of tweezers was used).

RATO packs. The frames are a little delicate so care is needed not to break them.

Andy
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Andy
now its really started to talk.

The Mal-masked markings look fantastic.

Everytime I check up on this thread it leaves me wanting the next thrilling episode.

Cheers
Peter
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 04:40 PM UTC
Andy:
I love te cammo scheme. The painted markings look great. Seeing Mal's masks on this and Nigel's B17 are really convincing me to get away from decals. This is really shaping up to be a stunner
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:18 PM UTC
Taylor.

Quoted Text

The painted markings look great. Seeing Mal's masks on this and Nigel's B17 are really convincing me to get away from decals.

It really is the next step, a bit like PE, decals are great for some items, nose art, stencilling etc, but masks for markings really do add a new dimention. Also like decals they just require the understanding of their use and once learn't you will never go back to decals I am out to change the minds of modellers

With a recent little windfall I may now be able to afford one of these, it will depend on whether I have a trade satnd at Telford or not. The trade stand has the vote at the moment, because if it makes enough dosh I could get it anyway So I continue to watch this with not quite the envy as before but still the same level of expectation.
Looking really good Andy, waht show is next?

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With a recent little windfall I may now be able to afford one of these, it will depend on whether I have a trade satnd at Telford or not. The trade stand has the vote at the moment, because if it makes enough dosh I could get it anyway So I continue to watch this with not quite the envy as before but still the same level of expectation.
Looking really good Andy, waht show is next?

Unfortunately the Arado has gone up to £125 due to the high cost of imported raw materials.
Echoing what Mal has said about the masks, they do bring the model to the next level. OK they take a little longer do apply but the end result is a lot better and well worth the effort.
The next show (for me, I think) is Medway.
The Arado is nearly done, just the canopy clear parts and decal frames to apply (if I don't naff it up ).
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:43 PM UTC
Yes I think that Medway will be the next show for me, not only have I got to save up those modelling tokens but I will need to have some for the social aspect

I will have some cards made for Medway, "Finished using Miracle Paint Masks", for this, Nige's "Spotted Cow" and my Fw 190D-9. It's the best advertising I can get when modellers see the results

_GOTOTOP