_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Me 109G-10/R2 for Paparazzi campaign
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi fellow Aeroscale hobbyists

This is the build tread for my Me 109G-10/R2 for the Paparazzi campaign. Normally I use the campaign treads for updates on my campaign builds. However, this build also involves some research and maybe some requests for assisstance, so I thought I would make an individual tread to avoid "hijacking" the campaign tread.

I am using the Revell kit of the Me 109G-10 and then I am going to scratchbuild a camera for the fuselage. So far as I can determine the camera is the only external difference between a standard G-10 and the G-10/R2.

I have so far identified two "sets" of pictures of Me 109G-10/R2s. In addition I also have a scale drawing of the camera and placement in the fuselage of the Me 109G-10/R2.

I have not yet decided if I want to make a "generic" Me 109 or I want to base it on a specific aircraft. Suggestions and additional info is greatly appreciated Especially if somebody has some colour profiles or colour pictures. I have found one below, but the aircraft is so dirty it is hard to determine the camouflage.

Enough writing - here are the photos.

Captured Me 109G-10/R2 "5F + black 12" from 2./NAG 14.

Two Me 109G-10/R2s at Neubiberg. One is "11" - probably in black. The other I cannot see the fuselage number.

Me 109G-10/R2 drawing

The kit I am going to use
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

I already made a comment in the campaign thread regarding literature. I will not repeat it here.

The "Black 11" is camouflaged in a standard fighter pattern (74/75) with large blotches forgot wich factory, WNF or maybe Erla (Leipzig). The top b/w picture seems to be similar /see below canopy). OTOH the contrast on the wing in the b/w pix is much stronger than on the colour photo .. hard to tell if maybe 74 was replace by one of the RLM 80ies.

I would go with a standard 74/75/76 first and then have another look at the model

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 08:18 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, Steffen.

I have started on the build. This bird is going to fly together. The fit is excellent. It seems like it is not even necessary to use glue between the fuselage and the wing section. In the pictures below it is only a dry fit - no glue yet.

The cockpit is pretty basic and leaves plenty of room for improvement, but considering the limited visibility of the cockpit when finished it is adequate for me.

One of the tail sections has the Revell-Monogram marking molded on in raised letters. Interesting detail However, it is very easy to just scrape it of with a hoby knife and sand it down.

More to follow....

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 08:44 PM UTC
I have now moved on a bit with the G-10/R2. Great kit although the cockpit is a little basic. The overall fit is excellent.

The camera in the bottom of the fuselage has been scratchbuild from a drop tank mounting that was filed into shape and sanded thinner. After painting a lens will be added.

I have found some panzer turret numbers that might work as fuselage numbers on the G-10/R2. One of the reference photos I have found show black numbers, although it is very tempting to go for the blue numbers instead as they are more colourful. However, I am not sure they would be correct for a recon machine.

Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:53 AM UTC
Nice Gustav! I always liked those late war Butcher Birds.

Very good work on that camera! Respect!!

Anymore pics yet?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC
Now I have finally picked up this project again.

The camouflage basic was finished yesterday, but there are still a few places to touch up. I also tried to do some "sawtooth" camouflage on the wing leading edges, but I might remove it again. I am not sure I am really satisfied with it.

I am not making any specific aircraft, but I am being inspired by the pictures earlier in this tread.

More to follow soon.....

MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
Nice work with the airbrush.

Cheers
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:10 AM UTC
Thanks, Jan. It worked out pretty well, despite being freehand. I used the photo of an Me 109G-10 R2 below as a reference/inspiration.

I have some templates for the mottling, but I have only tested them on old kits so far.

Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:37 PM UTC
Jesper:
Looking good. I love the scatch built camera. For free hand the camo turned really well. Looking forward to seing this one done.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:02 PM UTC
Thanks, Taylor

More to follow this week as work progresses.....
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:41 PM UTC
Here is an update on my build. The basic paint job is now in place and a semi gloss coat has been applied. Next is the decals and then weathering. I will use the kit decals combined with some red tactical numbers outlined in white.

The cockpit is a terrible fit leaving large gaps on one side, so I guess I will leave the cockpit open.

More to follow....

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 08:41 PM UTC
I have now applied the decals. I used this kit to experiment with different kinds of varnish to settle the decals. Especially the outline crosses are a problem for me as they often end up with a light center. So far it seems like Vallejo gloss varnish helps to settle the decals well onto the surface.

Next is an overall semi mat coat and then weathering.

Comments welcome.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

very nice!!

but didn't you want to replicate this machine:

solid black number and you did

just curious because you have black numbers on your decal sheet (shown above)

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Thanks for the comment. I am also pretty satisfied so far. Especially on the paint job.

Normally I would go for a specific machine, but not this time, as I did not have a specific machine that I wanted to do.
Instead I let myself be inspired by "5F + black 12" and "+ black 11". However, I wanted to use two camouflage colours RLM 75 and RLM 82 with higher contrast so I went with an imaginary machine. In addition I wanted to try my skills at the spotted camouflage on the fuselage sides and on the white spiral on the spinner.

The white spinner and spotted camouflage was 'taken' from "black 11" and the yellow tail and nose from "black 12". I also left the wheel covers on as on "black 11".

Another issue was the the problem of recreating the werk. nr. and the small "5F" in decal form on "black 12". Although this could probably have been overcome by sorting through the decal spares box.

More to follow
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC
Wow, that“s an excellent job you are doing. It“s getting very nice. I“ll wait for more
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 04:31 PM UTC
Jesper:
Another great build. I can't wait to see the weathering completed
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it.

More to follow soon.
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:29 PM UTC
This is truelly a perfect looking Gustav with a camera on it's belly - typical tourist!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thanks, Arseny. I am also pretty satisfied with it.

I have now finished my Me 109G-10/R2. I might still add some exhaust stains on the fuselage, but I am very satisfied with the paint work, so I am not sure I want to hide it with exhaust stains.
Finally it seems like I have found the best way to add the decals with the right combination of decal solutions, varnishes etc.
Sorry the pictures are not the best. I might get better pictures in the weekend in daylight.

Comments welcome

Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:44 PM UTC
Jesper:

Congratulations. The final product looks great I agree, why hide all that paint work with exhaust stains
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks for the comment, Taylor. I really appreciate it.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

I agree, great build!! I prefer real planes but there is nothing wrong with your approach.

One nitpick that I just became aware looking at your pictures. The red and white colours have a significant offset seen at the number and red cross. Maybe you also consider some rework on the wing "Balkenkreuz" it looks as if there is some silvering between the chevrons .....

please forgive me .. seems I just cannot keep

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hi Jesper,

Very nice! I would add some exhaust stains though...

Jean-Luc
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Steffen, you should not be Comments and looking at other peoples work is what has enabled me to improve since starting on aircraft kits two years ago. Aeroscale was actually my inspiration to start as I have almost entirely build tanks before signing up for the kitmaker network.

It is true that there is a slight offset in the numbers, but it is very slight. Basically only on the curve of the "2". The red cross is actually terrible. I do not know how I missed that.

You have very sharp eyes There is actually quite some silvering on the wing crosses - more than can be seen in the photos. A big problem for me that has followed me, especially for Luftwaffe builds due to the large amount of clear decal film on the late war wing crosses. I have tested a number of different approaches on this build and I think I have found the right solution now. My next luftwaffe build will show.

I might go for your suggestion, Jean-Luc. Although so far I have resisted adding exhaust stains. Maybe just some modest stains.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
It turned out really nice. Congratulations.
Shows that you don't always need the newest kit to make a good-looking model.

I've had some trouble with decal silvering over mottled schemes as well. They're such pain in the rear to touch up. (by brush the touch-ups stick out like a sore thumb, with an airbrush the masking is difficult over the decals) On future models, I'll be spraying another gloss coat before decaling on mottled surfaces to be 100% sure I won't get any silvering.

Regarding the exhaus stains, I would add some. Doesn't have to be heavy, just to show the aircraft is not factory-fresh (unless that's what you want to depict).

Any plans on adding seatbelts?

_GOTOTOP