_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
USAF on wings or not?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
Some of you may have seen my twin mustang that I have recently posted here on Aeroscale. I built it with the Mike Machat painting in mind, High Noon at Kimpo. In it I see no USAF on the wing of the aircraft as was often the case in this period of time. I was curious if this was correct? I have seen some other photos of F-82's with just codes on the wing, no USAF. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I go back and retro decal my aircraft? Thanks, Russell.
prbesch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi Siderius,
I saw your model on the previous posting. Nice F-82. You would not be incorrect to update your model with USAF on the upper starboard and lowerport wings. Unless you have specific proof otherwise it was the Air Forces policy to mark most aircraft this way. I have two older Microscale decal sheets no.'s 72-183 and 72-446, and while by no means where Microscale considered the last word in referance material they included the USAF markings on each sheet for all five aircraft. Those aircraft where FQ-414, FQ-485, FQ-433, FQ-403, and FQ-354. I have quite a few books, mostly Squadron/Signal, showing F-82's but don't include many high or low shots. One exception is the older "Air War Over Korea" by Larry Davis # 6035. Page 45 shows an F-82G #46-392 "Our Lil'Lass" Whose picture is being taken by another F-82 in flight. The photo clearly shows the other aircraft's upper starboard wing with the USAF in red.

I hope this was of some help, happy modelling,
Pete
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC
Thank you for the kind words about my F-82. After milling it over awhile, and looking at more reference materials, I went back and put the USAF on the top right wing, and bottom left wing. I think this is right, at least the probablity of being right is greater. Again thanks for the reply. Russell
 _GOTOTOP