_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
F14 group build anyone?
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi I am just about to start on the Hasegawa Tomcat, I wonder if anyone is interested in an F14 groupie?
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
I think I could pull that off.But not a Hasegawa kit.Please not that.I had enough problems with thier 1/32 P-51 and after reading many,many reviews on their Tomcats I decided never to buy one.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
Sorry Dave, Just to many WWII kits to do. What scale? I have done one in 1/72.
Mal
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
I'd build one if it didn't interfere with other ongoing group builds. As long as we could do any F-14 in any scale.
Recon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 11:20 AM UTC
I would like to do one in 1/32 scale. I would do the new Tamiya kit.
Recon
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hi guys thanks for the interests. I don't think we need to limit ourselves to certain manufacturer or certain scale, or any specific AUSF. I will probably be doing either the F14 Ausf A or F14 Ausf Bombcat.

Good friend of mine Warlock suggested to either do the group build in September which is when first F14 unit reaches the Navy, or Dec. 21, when the test flight took place. Which are all fine by me. They seems to be good dates, and also are not really interefere with any existing group build/campaign. :-) (++)
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:34 PM UTC
Well shoot, if you are talking that far down the line, I'll be in. I've got some decals for the "Splinter" camo aggressor I've been dying to use.
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
A Neon Green Tomcat in Day Glo Orange splinter camo. This I gotta see #:-)

Count me in if it's that far away Dave! I'm itchin' to do another Tomcat. 1/72 for me.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
In this case, should we make it a campaign or just a casual groupie? anyone wanna be the administrator for this thingy and make up rules?
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:08 PM UTC
Yeah if its that far down the road....I am in.....any F-14...any scale.....cool count me in....been dying to do a tomcat with some ground pounder equipment on board.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:32 PM UTC
Sure, if it's sometime in Sep-Dec, count me in!

Have an old Monogram F-14A Tomcat which I got last year....BTW, does anybody have the VP book/Lock On book or the Squadron/Signal publication for the Tomcat?

Cheers,
BP.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 05:08 PM UTC
I just like the way groupie sounds.Lets do that lol. #:-)

I think I'll prolly whip out my 1/32 Tamyia kit of my new 1/72 Revell Tomcat.
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:20 PM UTC
count me in as well. I was going to start my 1/32 Tamiya Tomcat once I finished the Hornet, but I'll put it off til the group build starts. Gives me more time to find a replacment for the decal cockpit :-)
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:52 PM UTC

Dave - Tomcat14 reports for Duty - I have many Tomcat's to do so we can start Our GroupBuild "Anytime Baby !!!!" .

Best Regardus
Absolute Tomcat , 299 % Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thank you for all your interest. Maybe if we have enough people, we can make it a campaign thingy, and get us some of them shiny ribbons.... This is gonna be fun. I think I am going to do either the Ausf A or the Ausf Bombcat (Pardon my reference of Ausf, as you all know I am an exclusive German Armor Builder)

We need a dude to be the campaign coordinator who has extensive knowledge of F14, and I have only one suggestion to rules. FOR CRY OUT LOUD, PLEASE NO PINK TOMCAT!!!!!! #:-) (++) (++) (++)
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:59 PM UTC
Well since I was mentioned as in a starting date I guess I better step up and report a thumbs up for the build. Since it will be starting in Sept or Oct it will give me time to find a kit. Chances are it would be a 1/48 scale (since the eyes are not what they used to be).
As for a moderator. How bout you SS. It was originally your idea. The only suggestions I would have is any scale would do and maybe we should put a reference somewhere on the bird for the Site (Armorama.com) for a tribute for all Jim's hard work.
Sort of a dedication of an F-14 Squadron...
Just suggestions though.. Sounds kinda corny now as I read it, but what do ya all think??
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hey guys, After talking to SS-74 in the MSN chat, I'm going to suggest the group build be a "Modern" Naval (including Marines) Aviation group build. this would include all post WW2 Navy and Marine aircraft in all scales. I volunteer to run the campaign if no one more qualified takes the job. I my self have several aircraft in different scales that fit the rules, so i'm definitly in especially for the F-14A part as i have one waiting for a back date and custom decals. so let me know your thought and we'll go from there stug
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:41 AM UTC
I am in for the modern Naval build, may I suggest, it covers plane from Vietnam to present. Stug can sure be the moderator for this campaign.

If this is the deal, then I prolly will do an additional A-1 Ausf H.

Fixed wing right?
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC
Should it be modern US naval planes only, or any country ?
I'm asking because i've got that Rafale M waiting on the shelf...
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 03:22 AM UTC
PenPen, for now I'm just going to limit it too carrier based aircraft from 1960 to now. if that fits your intetion then that works for me. STUG
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 03:35 AM UTC
***** Edit **** This was being typed while Stug was adding his comment so most of it is irrelevant at this point, but I'm going to leave it in it's original form. ***** Edit*****

It seems to me that the best campaigns are fairly restrictive in nature, i.e. the BoB campaign, or have a particular requirement, i.e. Splash. I would sugget some kinds of restrictions on it otherwise it will turn into people just building whatever aircraft they want under a deadline.

Some possible suggestions I have off the top of my head for restrictions/theming are:
carrier based aircraft only (this one may eliminate the F-14 I want to do because it's not a carrier based Tomcat, but we'll see)
multi-jet powered aircraft only
variable geometry wings only
2 seaters only
In use from X date to Y date (I think Vietnam forward is too broad unless other restrictions are added)
planes from X Squadron (maybe too narrow)
in use in a particular theatre

Just suggestions. The Navy/Marines idea is good, but you may need to restrict it further.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PenPen, for now I'm just going to limit it too carrier based aircraft from 1960 to now. if that fits your intetion then that works for me. STUG

Okay that elimanates my aggressor F-14, since it's land based. Since I have a feeling Jolly Rogers *coughcoughstugcough* will be represented I'll find a different squadron, maybe Tophatters.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
How about this, we make the F14 build to be a groupie. Just any F14, land or carrier based, this way, people whom wanna to do aggressor can do them.

And actually cook up a real campaign for Marine/Naval Aviation build?

Thoughts guys?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
I was reading about restricting the build even more and running the era from the 60's to today. Sounds ok to me, but if you include a Marine Aircraft as eligable it opens the restriction wider. Seeing as the the two branches used mostly the same aircraft until the mid 80's to the low 90' then when the corps split and went to the Harrier.
Making a restiction of Carrier based aircraft resticts it but would that mean that the Marine A/C are ineligable due to the fact that they would not be Carrier based but they are Carrier Capable, plus if you woud include The Corps A/C would that mean the Helos are eligable?
As they are Carrier Capable too.
Not trying to cause problems cause I am all for this Campaign. If the decision is made to restrict it. Then I would suggest to make it Carrier Based A/C and (as much as this hurts to say) Omit the Marine A/C due to the fact they are not Carrier Based but Carrier Capable.
I hope this helps and not hinders. I will live with whatever you can come up with..
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
Well actually I thought that some Marine squadrens were based on carriers, some of their F/A-18 birds are...or so I thought.....could and very possible wrong on that account!!!

In any case...I am in for whatever you guys decide for the campaign...whether it be only F-14s, or whether its Navy/Marine Carrier born AC from '60s to today.....either way I think I will still be doing a ground pounder Tomcat!!
 _GOTOTOP