_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
wrecked airplane dio
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi all,

at Benelux we'll start soon a 'Fire down below' campaign concentrating on anti-aircraft measures. Fueled by what I read and saw on the Aeroscale-forums, I've got the idea to make a dio of a wrecked ww1-era airplane.

However, I've some issues to deal with at thought...

First, what is a good kit to make such a dio? Which kits are suitable to make a wrecked version of?

I would like to use the Part PE aircraft frames and make a breach somewhere in the fuselage and show part of the wrecked frame. However, these PE-frames are packed within the plastic body of the kit, which would be too thick to represent torn linen or other material (wood, iron??) the fuselage was constructed of. Is there any technique to give a good representation of torn linen at the site where the fuselage was wrecked??

I hope my ideas are not too ambitious or unrealistic and I hope I can get some hints and tips.

Many thanx in advance.

Jelger
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
Greetings it depends on what you are going for. Here are a few examples.

First the Alabatros D. types

Albatros D.Va 5253/17 was flown by Ltn. Hans Sakowsky of Jasta 14. He was brought down and made a POW on 13 Nov.1917 in this machine by anti-aircraft fire. In the ensuing landing he wiped off its landing gear in a "pancake landing." It was given the British capture number G.90 it was repaired & displayed with other captured aircraft in the 'Agricultural Hall' in Islington. All of which had half of their coverings removed to display internal structures to public view for the price of 1 penny. Proceeds went to RAF hospital Fund.

Alb. D.V 2042/17 was a assigned to training duties at Lübeck-Travemunde and is known to have been destroyed in a landing in July 1918. Its pilot Ltn. Wegener is listed as KIC. This diorama took a first place at the IPMS USA Nationals in 2003.

Alb. D.III (OAW) 1650/17 as flown by a home defense flight in Armee A sector about Nov. 1917. Here the pride of the German Air Service, Ltn. Rumplemeier is helped from his plane (Albatros D.III, OAW built) after a daring landing. Strictly for humour folks.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:09 PM UTC
Next the Fokker Dr.I types.

w/n 1856, Fokker Dr.I 144/17 flown by Ltn Eberhardt Stapenhorst of Jasta 11 when he was brought down by Anti-aircraft fire and captured on 13 Jan. 1918. It was given the British capture number G.125 It was later displayed with other captured aircraft in the “Agriculture Hall” in Islington. All of which had half of their coverings removed to display internal structures to the public for the price of 1 penny. Proceeds went to the RAF Hospital Fund. This is an Aerobase & DML / Dragon kit crash.

w/n 2089, Fok. Dr.I 463/17 was flown during July 1918 by various various pilots at Jastachule II. This is a “hypothetical scheme and any public images of this machine are unknown. Its is based on the idea that some Dr.I types found their way into Jastaschules after frontline service. This is a DML kit with decals from the spares box.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:14 PM UTC
Fokker D.VII types

My version of Capt. Rickenbacker's 22nd victory on Oct. 23, 1918. The victim was a Vzfw. Klaudat. Of Jasta 15. It is based on a painting of one of Capt. Eddie's victories, titled Gotcha! I call mine "Gotcha II." The figure is a modified Jaguar item. The personal decals are from Americal / Gryphon series on JG II. The "water" is common 20 minute two part epoxy. Add some smears of Testors Model Masters "Field Drab" between layers. This gives one the feeling of depth and belies the base depth to the viewer. In other words the bottom of the water looks deeper than the actual base. I drilled some holes in the bottom of the fuselage to allow the resin to seep in and sink the fuselage. Then I drilled a sheet metal screw up through the bottom of the "river bed" through the juncture of the lower wing and fuselage then began the series of poured layers. I cut off a lower wing tip and detail the break with broken spar ends and part of the wing tip is seen at the bottom of the "river bed". Pouring in layers allows you to tip the resin in various directions as it sets and give you that river current surface. The figure is a modified Jaguar item. The Woodland Scenics tall grass was inserted in the last three layers of the pour.

This build represents Fokker D.VII 368 /18 an early Schwerin production type flown by Ltn. Hans Schultz of Jasta 18 when he was brought down and made a POW on 6 June 1918 by Lt. C. H. R. Lagesse of 29 sqdn RAF. Given the British capture number G/Br2/14. It was displayed with other captured aircraft in the agriculture hall in Islington. All of which had half or more of their coverings removed to display internal structures to public view for the price of 1 penny. Proceeds went to the RAF Hospital Fund. Eventually after its addition to the display all of the fuselage fabric was taken off this aircraft.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:20 PM UTC
The kit that has both wings and fuselage as brass etch skeletal structures is the Aerobase of Japan 1/48 scale Fokker Dr.I. To buy direct is about 80 .00 USD. I have built two stripped down versions and enjoyed both. These are link for CD's on How to build them and kit crash various components.

Dr.I here.

F.I here.

The company "Part" of Poland has a series of PE fuselage details that can be built up nicely see my Fokker D.VII 368/18 above. All but one ( the Alb. D.III OAW) is based on a true historical airframe.

Here is another thread on crashed or derelict aircraft models.
 _GOTOTOP