_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/48 Blue Max Sopwith 7.F-1 "Snipe"
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 01:42 AM UTC
Beautiful. Just beautiful.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Hugh - my recipie for PC-10 in this case was by mixig Tamiya acrylics. I used approximately two parts XF-10 Dark Brown to one part XF-13 JA Green, with a drop or two of black thrown in.

More progress - the top wing is now mounted, after much tribulation (not as easy as I thought it was going to be... aarg! Oh well, thankfully I still have some of my PC10 mix in a bottle for touch ups). Rigging should progress today (while I am watching the cricket on TV no less!)

This should be finished within the next day or so all going well.

BC
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC
Stunning.........

I'm back to the drawing board on mine....

Regards
Steve
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:03 AM UTC
She's now finished! I am very happy that I now finally have added an AFC aircraft to my collection!

Struts were from Aeroclub airfoil shaped plastic stock, as I wasn't too sure the kit plastic would hold up. Rigging is my usual elastic with some of the always nice turnbuckles from Bob's Buckles.

Overall I found this an enjoyable build with the usual aspects associated with limited run kits. Whilst I have not seen the Hi-Tech or CSM offerings in this scale, I heartily recommend this kit to those with a few limited run kits under their belts.

As always, feedback, comments and criticisms welcome.

BC
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC
WOW , very impressive Brad ! It was a joy watching your thread on this build . Looking forward to your next one .
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:08 AM UTC
Brad, awesome build! As always.

2 things I don't get (pardon my poor English): what's "AFC aircraft" and "elastic"?
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
Sensational Brad!

I was always proudest of my Blue Max Snipe, probably the only build that I would ever consider entering in a comp... But this makes mine look very plain.

I really like the scheme you chose.

Cheers,

Hugh
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Brad,

Possibly the best I've ever seen. Excellent craftsmanship combined with an outstanding finish. This MUST be a feature.

Congrats on a most excellent build, Dwayne
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:39 PM UTC
Beautiful model Brad, the best Snipe I have ever seen.
Just a note, don't waste time in the Hi-tech kit....

Best Regards,

Claudio
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:11 PM UTC
Thanks guys, you are too kind

Roxter - to answer your questions, AFC stands for Australian Flying Corps (ie the Australian version of the British Royal Flying Corps), and elastic is basically a thin stretchy thread-like material that I like to use for rigging as it always stays tight and can take rough handling

BC
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi Brad

I love WW1 aircraft but don't have the patience or nimble fingers needed for rigging them! Your Snipe is one of the best examples of this type that I've seen in over 40 years as a modeller.
If I may offer a couple of tips :

If you suspect that an old decal sheet may break up, then a coat of polyurethane gloss varnish will fix them, although of course you will have to cut each item out close to it's edges as the varnish will act as a carrier film over the whole sheet

To reduce the drying time of oil paints, squeeze a small amount onto a sheet of blotting paper or paper towel about an hour before use to absorb some of the oil, and then thin with a small amount of white spirit (mineral spirit in the US) before using. This has been standard practice for figure modellers for many years and reduces the drying time to days instead of weeks!

Again - great work on the Snipe!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

She's now finished! I am very happy that I now finally have added an AFC aircraft to my collection!

Struts were from Aeroclub airfoil shaped plastic stock, as I wasn't too sure the kit plastic would hold up. Rigging is my usual elastic with some of the always nice turnbuckles from Bob's Buckles.

Overall I found this an enjoyable build with the usual aspects associated with limited run kits. Whilst I have not seen the Hi-Tech or CSM offerings in this scale, I heartily recommend this kit to those with a few limited run kits under their belts.

As always, feedback, comments and criticisms welcome.

BC

Magnificent Brad! Another crown jewel.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
This is just another one for the great book. "How to build awesome birds". Thanks for sharing this Brad.I Just love the paintjob. Somehow you "rule",

Larsa Q
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
Excellent build Brad!
 _GOTOTOP