Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Roden GB 2008 Albatros D.III OAW
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:17 AM UTC
Thanks Terri. You have been a valuable addition to the Aeroscale club for wayward boys. I understand Stephen and Eyegore will even be putting up some curtains in the hangar. The profile helps in that it shows the two-tone propeller (which I was hoping to avoid). The profile does not show the auxilliary wing.

David, Welcome to Aeroscale. Might you be thinking about the Arizona D.Va? That looks like a great kit. I have been toying around with trying to learn how to RC. When I can reduce crashes, that will be my first build. On the Roden D.III, only an axle is provided. On the Roden D.III (OAW), only an auxilliary wing is provided. So I am thinking the OAW version has the wing as standard. But I really dont know for sure.

I got the fuselage sealed up today. The seams seem to have vanished with a light sanding. Looks like I will be spending a snowy day filling in some gaps in the empenage and tail skid tomorrow. Then I will be fitting the engine deck cover. Lastly, I will be painting the fuselage white-white.

One thing I forgot to say about the wood grain. The long lines ahould be thin and mostly parallel. The curved lines will be thicker. HTH
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 02:31 PM UTC
You are welcome Carl . I do have the blueprints for this aircraft and yes the OAW does have the axle wing . ( ALB ) did not , just the bar .
Yes they are from the Albatros Productions , LTD . Copywrited in 2003 . I would share more , but don't want to get into any trouble . I can send you the info in a e-mail if you guy's want .
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 03:02 PM UTC
Carl,

WOW ....... Most Impressive! Great work to this point. Waiting to see it finished. Must agree with everyone regarding your wood finish as well. I will be borrowing some of your techniques for sure.

Regards, Dwayne
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 08:17 PM UTC
This build is coming on nicely. I just like your pics with all bits painted and done. Just hoping you have dryfitted everything so you don’t need to find any pitfalls. Looking good

Larsa Q
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 06:38 AM UTC
Larsa, I dry-fitted everything but the fuselage to lower wing join. I didn' have the fuselage joined up, so I couldn't try that one out. I did not have to much of a problem there last time so I really wasn't worried. Now that I have the fuselage joined up, I have determined the fit to be outstanding. Unfortunately, I have discovered two mistakes. First, I put the engine shroud on and neglected to attach the gun support bar. When I get all the masking removed, I will try to get that worked into its spot. The second mistake is reall not going to pose a problem at all. The Wheels I painted up don't seem to match up to the wheel covers I painted. I need to figure out if I did the wrong wheels or the wrong wheel covers, and paint the right ones up. I have the fuselage all painted up with a nice coat of white. I think it is safe to say I will be spraying red tomorrow.

This kit is great. The fuselage formers seem to be a little bit off as compared to the D.III. They fit well into place, they just aren't quite as snug as in the previous kit. This is not a problem though. It seems to give a little wiggle room when joining up the fuselage. They look great when everything is sealed up.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
Thats what I like about Carl. He is humble, decent and full of great surprises. I am very impressed with the progress and quality Carl. Model On, Please!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC
I see my on-line personna has you all fooled.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:04 AM UTC
I have painted the fuselage and attached the wings. The first lines of the rigging are in place, but not glued. The red is scarlet in real life. In the photos it looks to have an orange tinge. I gaur-an-tee you, it looks much better in person.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:12 PM UTC
Polking it with a fork here (as if it werer a roast) it looks almost done!
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:18 AM UTC
You are the roadrunner of the modelers !!! Excellent work
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 02:52 AM UTC
Looking really cool Carl , can't believe how fast this is coming together .
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hey
You´re a fast one too,This is looking really good.The bad news is I have to get this kit too. I guess Roden will be happy.
good looking polka

Larsa Q
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC
Well gentle people, I am getting close to finishing this one. It has been a joy to build so far. After doing one earlier this year, this one is almost falling together. It is like a good book that I just can't put down. I did the empenage painting this morning, and rigging while the parts were drying. I am using stretch monofilament and it is working very well. The landing gear is on and rigged also. Painting the propeller is about the only big chore ahead of me.

One thing to be aware of is that the diagram for painting this scheme is not correct. The stripe location on the top view does not exactly correspond with the locations on the side view. I did have to modify the overall scheme a little bit.

Larsa, I went out and got another one of these guys yesterday, since the LHS did not have the SPAD VII yet. I am sure Roden is happy.

Hey Roden, When will we see an Albatros D.V / D.Va?
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC
Got my SUNGLASSES on..........

That is really BRIGHT.....and mighty-fine..........

Regards
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 08:21 AM UTC
Most impressive Carl!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got my SUNGLASSES on..........

That is really BRIGHT.....

Yeah, I got the pixels working overtime.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 09:27 AM UTC
Jeepers Carl,
You haven't mucked about on this one! Are you looking to do another three or four builds before the end of the GB?
Looking sensational by the way. The scheme certainly is eye catching.

Cheers,

Hugh
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 09:55 AM UTC
I will build whatever Roden sends me

What was that movie line? If you build it, they will come.

It is amazing how much I can get done when it is to cold to wack golfballs.

Fore.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 01:19 PM UTC
Greetings Carl;

What did you figure the width of the stripes to be?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 03:44 AM UTC
Tamiya medium (3/8")

Now lets talk about the red stripes. If you look at the profile provided in the instructions, look closely at the second stripe from the tail end. On the side view, that stripe's trailing edge is completely in front of the rudder empenage leading edge. Now look at the top view, The rudded empenage leading edge is almost in the middle of that same stripe.

Now look at the side view again. there is a stripe that goes around the front edge of the cockpit. That stripe is missing from the top view. Also the second stripe from the front on the two views. The side view shows it to be completely in front of the leading edge of the top wing. The side view shows it to be about half way covered up by the leading edge. Matching up the top an side view profiles, you will see 8 stripes on the side view, and only room for 7 on the top view.

The 3/8" stripes gave me 9 red stripes instead of 8. Why?, you may ask.

1. Because math gives me a headache. (I do use the metric system whe scoring in golf)

2. Because I figured nobody would call me out on this one except Stephen.

3. Because the tape is cut to 3/8", and that gives me 9 red stripes.

I do thank Roden for providing this profile in the kit. It looks great. The profile used by them is flawed, but it was published long before Roden decided to use it. My advice is simply to use 3/8" tape to mask it off. I actually did try to use tape cut slightly wider, and that seemed to throw the entire profile off a bit. After pulling off the second attempt to mask it, I just went with the 3/8" tape.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC
I started the decals this morning. They did not want to work very well. I had numerous fractures and tears. I am also a little disapointed with the opacity of both the black and the white. The red stripes show through. Looks like I am going to be doing some more painting.

As for construction, All I have left are the pipes and propeller. I placed the propeller for the photos, but it needs to be glued on. I also need to place the aileron control wires.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with this offering. I have another D.III and D.III (OAW) in my stash. I am looking forward to doing both of them in a wood finish. If you get this kit, consider getting the Eduard PE Set. I t makes rigging much easier. When you rig, pull the wires through the wings, then cover up the ends with the PE Acess Hatches. I also used the stretch monofillament for the first time. It is easy to use, and allows you to put a little tension on to prevent sagging.

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC
Carl, that is a real nice looking build! Stripes are sometimes difficult to pull off but do look nice when done.
Tanks for sharing your techniques,
RAGIII
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:37 AM UTC
Hey Carl,
You pulled off that amazing scheme well and truly!

It is very dazzling!

And so quick to finish?

Cheers,

Hugh
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:49 AM UTC
I credit the kit. Thanks guys.
Hatter50