Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dornier Do 335 B-2
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
Like just about everybody else, I have one of these in my stash. I wonder if anybody ever built one. Thanks for the informative build.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hi guys. Thank you so much for the kind comments.
Rowan. I don't know if I'll be applying the decal strips to each build from now on. I did it on this one because tha canopy is pretty big. I'll try to get a "how to" on masking canopies with BMF on the next build. This bird will be sitting by itself on a base with real dirt for the groundwork, by the way Rowan, I'll be checking out your Eduard 109 build. I LOVE the artwork on the lid of that box, it's gorgeous. I started to save my boxtops awhile back because the artwork is so nice on them.

Hermon. I used the less paint in the center of the panels and more on the edges method without covering up the black on the panel lines. After I masked for the dark green, I did go back and apply more black to the panel lines that were going to be covered with the dark green. I was afraid that with two coats of paint, the black on the panel lines would disappear.

Carl. I was able to get this kit for about $10.00 from Hyperscale awhile ago. Ishould of picked up a bunch of them, but then again, I have too many already.This is one of the smoothest builds I've encountered yet. IT"S A TAMIYA!

Thanks you guys for looking, the nice comments keep us motivated to keep building. Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll try to get a "how to" on masking canopies with BMF on the next build. ..

Hi again Mike

That would be great! We could also run that section as a short Feature - it'd be helpful to a lot of people.

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hello. I decided not to go with the kit decals, they looked too thick to me, so I scavenged some from the decal binder and found some from Aeromaster. I applied a raw umber wash to the entire plane making sure to wipe away in the direction of the airflow, I didn't want to over do it, you can't see it all that well in the photos. It might show up better in later photos. The masking was removed from the light in the leading edge of the wing and the windscreen was attached. The landing gear, gear doors and actuators were all attached. I had to scrape a little bit of plastic to get the landing gear to fit, but it was no big deal, everything lines up very well. Since this aircraft is so big for a single seat aircraft, I decided to add a pilot figure to show a sense of scale. I am using the WONDERFULLY sculpted1/48 scale pilot figure from Jaguar. I think it was sculpted by Mike Good. The photo doesn't do it justice. Now I'm not a figure painter, so we'll see how it goes. I'll keep you updated,thanks for looking, Wingman out.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:54 AM UTC
It sure is looking good. I kinda get the impression that figure is a bomber guy. I don't base this on any hard evidence regarding the uniform though.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hi Carl, he's from Jaguar's Fighter crew, it does look like a bomber uniform but it was hard to resist. I'm still waiting on the Ultracast exhaust. When they're installed she'll be done. I'll post some final photos when it's done, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hello. The Ultracast exhausts were painted and installed and the exhaust staining applied. The canopy was attached and the props too.The antenna is fine copper wire bent around a paint brush handle and painted gunmetal. The figure was painted, although I think I need to apply some more dullcoat to his flight suit. That's it shes done, thanks to everyone for following along and commenting. I started Tamiya's 1/48 scale Wildcat for the next build, Wingman out.

_GOTOTOP