_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 by Italeri
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
This is my Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 by Italeri. Thought I would post a few picks to get some feedback. I think I did the underside weathering a bit OTT. It was one of the first models I have made a serious attempt at for quite some time and also with the airbrush.

pentlandexile
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:01 PM UTC
It's nice, the top surfaces are great but you're right about the underside. Nice work with the canopy and torpedo as well. Impressive looking machine, hint of Junkers tri-motor about it.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:23 AM UTC
Hi Tim.

Nice triple you got there. Topside is great, but the bottom is a bit too sharp perhaps. I'm not sure which method you have used, but if it's preshading, like I prefer, you should only get a few layers more of the blue. You could also go the other way, and use a lighter grey, just a tad darker than the primer, as preshading. That way you don't have to use as much blue paint either.

On darker surfaces, like the green top you have, I usually preshade with the same colour as the finished surface, only a bit "thicker".

You can check my Bf 109 blog to see what I mean.

Keep them coming Tim, cause the airbrush grows closer to your hand for every model you make.
Tony
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi

Thanks for the advice- I had tried several attempts at pre shading. I found that I often ended up covering up most of the pre shading and it could not been seen once the paint had dried, I then had to start over. I looked at your 109 and am aiming for a similar result. I will take the advice onboard and hoping to put it into practice the tips on the next one.

Cheers
Tim
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 08:20 AM UTC
Good luck with it Tim. I'm only glad to help. And this is only my 5:th (or so) airbrushed aircraft, so trust me when I say you'll get the hang of it quick!

Tony
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 02:01 PM UTC
Just wanted to say great job on the SM 79. You did fine. What kind of airbrush are you using? I like the Aztek. I would like to build one of these kits to add to my stash on display around the home. If you have questions about weathering there is a thread running about that you can take a look at. My opinion up there as well. Take care. Russell.
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 05:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback. I used an old Paasche VSR90#1 Gravity Feed, Double Action Airbrush. I used a small needle and head assembly instead of the medium one, if I’m honest I wish I had stuck with the single action. I’ve currently swapped to me Badger single action for the time being.
I’m used to building Tamiya kits and found the Italeri kit to be quite a bit of work. They do a 1/48 scale one which I’m told is better.
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP