_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Naval Aviation Campaign
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:59 AM UTC
A few weeks ago, in a dicussion about a group build for F-14's, this idea came about. Some of it was discussed and some simple rules were laid out and some I think are going to away. Some of the guys I speak to in the MSN chatroom are already getting kits to build for this and we don't even have anything set in stone. So here is what i propose for this campaign.
1. Start date sometime at the end of summer like August. Most likely the 1ST of September. Give people time to get there stuff together.
2. End date around Christmas. Lets say Dec. 15th. Let people spend time with their Families.
3. This is open to aircraft produced and used between 1950 and now, from any country. though some have said to make the 60's, but face it there were some there were some cool jets in the '50s
4. The catagories:
1 Fighters- anything that's sole purpose in life was to shoot down enemy aircraft and defend the fleet.
2 Bombers- anything that was designed to put the ordance on the ground or on other ships.
3 Multi-role- combination of the above.
4 All others- this is plain enough anything to move parts and people to where they need to be. AWACS or early warning, basically anything other than the first three catagories.

Just a final note, I have No issue if people wan't to build more than one aircraft for this campaign, but I do request that things are done in a timely manner and are done and the pics posted by the end date. A base is optional, Dio's are welcome, and the winner gets a round of applause from the guys here at armorama. We can have the guys out there create a cool ribbon for the the participants, but the most important thing I'd like to see Armorama get the best Airwing in the world. So please post if you are interested in the campaign, we need about 10 guys before we can this thing official and on the campaigns page. thanks for listening Stug
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
I'm in!! Dunno what I'm gonna build yet, but I'm in.
Jay
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
I'm in for my first campaign! The timing is just about right, as I should be pretty well settled in a new residence by then, and should have ample room to work in the new place. I may have to bow out if something I'm waiting on final word on falls through, but barring that I'm a go.

I have a Fujimi Cutlass that has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years, I think it has potential for this campaign.
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC

I'm in , Tomcats waiting for their Showtime!!!!
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
I will do a Panther Ausf G , and maybe a Panzerjager Marder III ausf.....Wait..... oops sorry.

I am in, I think I will do at least a F-14 Ausf A, and if I got the time an A-1 Ausf H. (++)
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
Things are a bit up in the air at work for the next couple of months but assuming everything settles down I would love to have a bash at this. Count me in.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
I'm in ! I'll be building a Rafale M !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
:-) Mmmmm, may or may not be in this, I build almost exclusively WWII. Can this era not be included? I would then build my String-bag :-)
Mal
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 02:09 PM UTC
oh I'm definitely in :-) I have quite a few kits for this, but I think the 1/48 Intruder will get the knod for this
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 05:55 PM UTC
Sounds like fun, with plenty of time given. Count me in. Just one quick question though. Would the roto wing be eligable??
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC
OK one thing i forgot in the first post was the 5th catagory so here it goes:
5: other, other (helicopters)- sory to those guys who like you rotar wing aircraft. this catagory will include all navy and marine helicopters serving the fleet from 1950 to now. On a side note I'll let anyone wanting to build and Apache or Kiowa Warrior do so, but just to make it challenge you have to find out the Squadrons they flew with. Yes in GF1 Kiowas and Apaches flew from FFG's and DDG's operating in the Persian Gulf. So do your research army guys.
Next is a couple of suggestions for some of our friends on Armorama that build WW2 aircraft. here's a short list off the top of my head.
1. F4 Corsair Argentina Navy
2. A-26 Invader Patrol aircraft for the Mexican Navy
3. Dehavaland Sea Hornet
4. Dehavaland??? Sea Vampire
5. ????? Sea Wyvern
Hope that helps some of our Modlers with some choices of WW2 aircraft that had longer life span than expected. I know the last 2 listed did not fight in WW2, but their contracts and development occured during the war. So there you can see where a little web searching can take you. Now lets do some naval aircraft. stug
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
What the hech.Im better at a/c models than anything else I build.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 01:02 PM UTC
Count me in.....already have a couple of ideas....would lover to do a Bombcat....and I just received a 1:35 Academy AH-1W....really nice kit...would be a great entrant!!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:01 AM UTC
Well there are the 10(11) needed to get this thing rolling. Mal if those suggestions won't work The String Bag might be doalbe. stug
GIBeregovoy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:08 PM UTC
COUNT ME IN! :-) Naval aviation - just the right "thrust" to make me do airplane models again (my modelling roots - started with planes where I failed miserably, converted to tanks, tried 4 ships but failed there, returned to armor, trying out planes again). I'm in with Revell's F/A-18E Super Hornet (actually, I already started it, but less than 1/4 done) and perhaps a Fujimi F-14 - both in 1/72 (unless I get the 1/48 F-14D resin cockpit now at the shop and get a 1/48 F-14D).

Jason, nice to see you joining a campaign! :-) Hope Jacques will join, too.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 01:02 PM UTC
I wasn't able to complete my Skyray last year for a Campaign - so I'd like to get into this one and bring it home! I haven't gotten much of anything done on it except some cleanup of sprue attachment points.

Gunnie
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
Gunnie nice to have you onboard. I asked you for help in the other thread about campaigns, I'd like to get this on the campaign page soon so we can get some more guys enlisted
stug
REMF11M
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
I wish I could be in but I haven't found a model shop in Iraq yet.

One suggestion, instead of a ribbion how a set of naval wings
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 06:40 PM UTC
That's not a bad idea, i think i might get a scan for jim and put it in the requset for this to the campaign page. stug
REMF11M
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
I was thining of something along this line.

GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's not a bad idea, i think i might get a scan for jim and put it in the requset for this to the campaign page. stug

You've got it Steve. I'm going to create a "sticky" thread that will serve as a Campaign Board in the General Modeling Forum. As Campaign ideas get finalized, I'll just edit the post for all to see. I think this low-tech solution might work out nicely.

Gunnie
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC
:-) I'm in, forgot I had a Skyraider and it needs building :-)
Mal
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
stugiiif - I went and updated the Campaign Docket to reflect the Helicopters category and your suggestions for WWII aircraft that could be included in the Campaign. I also went and added the current list of participants in the proposed Campaign. There's more than enough to make this Campaign "official" already

I liked the "Wings of Gold" idea in place of the Ribbon too. It would be a nice touch if you decide to use it as the Campaign Award. Next step will be for me to have Big Jim take a look at all that's been setup and approve the creation of a Campaign Folder for you guys.

Gunnie
Jay
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 10:56 AM UTC
I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw from this campaign. I just found out that my National Guard unit is being activated for one year, and I'll be unable to spare the time to work on my entry into this campaign.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 12:02 PM UTC
Sorry to hear that, Jay Hopefully you'll be able to get into one in the future.

Couple of questions about the campaign and a plea for help. Are all Naval aircraft Carrier capable? If no, is this campaign for Carrier capable craft only? (I know we mentioned that before but can't remember what we came up with)

Next a plea for help. I want to build something outside my general interest area for this campaign. I have a few subjects in mind already, but I'm coming up blank on one of them. I am usually pretty good with aircraft, I may not know much about some but I generally know what they are called. For the life of me I can't remember this one though. It's a prop driven aircraft, one under each wing. I am remembering it being very similar to an S-3 Viking only prop driven. For some reason 'Orion' is in my head, but when I looked up the P-3 that is not what I see in my head. I could just be mixing the S-3 and P-3 together in my head (wouldn't be the first time I made up my own plane). It's not the Osprey either. Anybody know what on earth I could thinking of? I tried looking on the Navy News site, but there is just too many pictures to do a blind search over there. Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope.
 _GOTOTOP