_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
filling gap between canopy and fuselage
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
At the moment I'm building an old 1/32 Revell AH-1G cobra attack helicopter. The canopy isn't the best fit and there are gaps what would be the best adhesive to fix it in place? I know normal poly glue will mist up the clear plastic so can anyone recommend something that will stick the canopy and fill any gaps? In some places the gap is almost a couple of millimeters.
Cheers
David
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hello there. One thing you can try is regular Elmers white glue. Another, which might be a little bit better is a product produced by Micro Sol, called Krystal Clear. It will fill the said gaps and dry clear so as to look like part of the canopy. You should be able to find Krystal Clear in most well stocked hobby shops. Hope this helps. Russell.
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Russell,
I have ordered some Kristal Clear and will give it a go.
Cheers
David
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 07:11 PM UTC
A couple of millimeters? I wouldn't necessarily go filling such gaps with PVA-type glues. Heavier doses of those tend to bow down as they dry. Larger gaps would likely require multiple applications, and due to their elasticity, they're tricky to sand and shape after drying.

I'd use thin styrene sheet to plug such gaps. When working near clear parts with hobby knives, sandpaper and such, it's good to protect the clear stuff with masking tape in addition to being careful.

Also, for gluing and filling, the clarity of krystal klear isn't necessary IMO (of course, for clear-to-clear joints it really hits the spot). Or are the seams between clear sections of the parts?

Normal styrene cement won't mist parts, at least like superglue, where the fumes can produce white residue. Naturally, the results of getting cement on clear portions messses them up.

dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the information Eetu,
I've been reading HawkweyeV's posts on filling seams since posting this question and I will try and give it a go, so fingers crossed!
Cheers
David
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
Similar to Kristal Klear is Humbrol ClearFix if it is still available. I have used this on all my recent builds except my last one when I tried something else. Doh! I'm back to ClearFix until the bottle runs dry
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hobby Town carries a brand of superglue ( Ted Smith? ) that has a canopy non-fog superglue. I used it a couple of times and it worked as advertised.
 _GOTOTOP