_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Just Tuning In
Killerbe83
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 01:56 PM UTC
First wanted to say Hi! Just joined and just started modeling. Well I have built models before when I was young but never put time into them. Well now I'm 25 and got a kit in my stocking this past Christmas and decided to get elbow deep into detail models. I just finished that model which is a 1/48 Revell P-51D Mustang "Big Beautiful Doll".

I would of attached some pictures of it to this post but i don't know how to do that. I would love to get some criticism good or bad. Since i just started I could use all the advice you can give!

Just bought my next model. I bought the Tamiya 1/48 P-51D. I wanted to see how a different model company tackles the same aircraft and also what a higher quality model company brings to the table.

Bye for now!

Kyle
redcobra04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 02:04 PM UTC
That is the first plane i built when i go t back into modeling.Tamiya is night and day above it, They are great kits.
Killerbe83
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 02:08 PM UTC
Figgured out how to Post pics. Below is my first model build. Please comment.

MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi Kyle,
Got to say you P51D looks pretty fine to me. Maybe a bit of filler on some of the seams but nice work all the same. I'm here to look and learn BTW. Next time you should do a build log so we can all see the work in progress.
Regards, Mark
Killerbe83
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:59 AM UTC
Mark, thanks for the advise.

I do have some pictures of this build. I will on getting some of these pics up this weekend.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
I think you did a great job on this one ! NMF can be hard to do and for your first try it looks great . Where you did sanding of the seems , it will help to polish that area after every thing checks out . Squadron has a polishing stick with three different grids . Start with the course and work your way to fine . The surface will look like glass when done . I always had trouble with this myself until I started using the sanding stick . Oh yeah ! sand in one direction . no circles !

I look forward to seeing more of your work !!!
Killerbe83
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks Terri,

I will definitly spend more time on the body prep on my next model. For the NMF I just used Testors or Model Masters "Silver Metallic" Spray can. I was also told to try Polly Scale acrylic railroad color aluminum, or the Model Master Acryl aluminum.

Thanks again for the advice.

Kyle
Killerbe83
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:55 AM UTC
Here are some of the construction pictures for my build.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
I wanted to add a good job done here on your Mustang. Natural metal finishes can be some of the hardest to do right, and you did just fine. Russell.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
Nice job and I like your weathering, nicely understated. The areas that caught my eye were the matt black rudder and stabiliser tips. these are much better masked and sprayed to give sharp edges, and don't skimp and use cheap masking tape. Took me years to find that out. You should find the Tamiya kit lifts your game, the betterthe kit, the better I want the finished item to be.
Killerbe83
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Thank you all for the advice. I can't wait to do my next build. Oh and I did pick up some Tamiya tape. Going to dive in and work with photo etched parts. You can learn by reading but you can really learn till you start to build with them. Going to take my time and see if this first build wasn't beginners luck.

Thanks again,

Kyle
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 09:28 AM UTC
Good clean build. You got a lot of good advice here. I am listening also because I am starting back also. I learn something every time I look at the posts. Good job.
Matt
 _GOTOTOP