Eduard Bf 110 E 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi all

i spread some pictures of this build through other posts, but I decided it would be better to post them all together.

I cut out the elevators and LE slats, no interior ... it is intensionally done this way! The canvas is magic sculp and freshly painted in the last pix. I shortly thought about covers for the engines and nose weapons too, but I prefer to show some parts of the model. Just ordered the wheels with bad weather covers from mastercasters yesterday.

I have read quite often about fit issues. Honestly, these are well known nowadays and can be avoided with a little provident thinking.

Wing to fuselage: Eduard constructed the wing parts in a way that they build an angle and are not flat towards the fuselage. Brett Green has developed a good method that I used on both my 110s so far. Use your Dremel (or other motor tool) with a grinder and mill a chamfer in the fuselage parts where the wing meets the fuselage .. works like a charm, no filler needed!

Nose: take your time and dryfit often. it is a bit tricky, but I needed only a little filler here

Engine nacelles. clamp the wing and the nacelle so that there is only a minimal (ideally no) step .. I used 2 part epoxy for gluing ..no (!) filler needed

At my working speed there might be still a few moons until this is finished, but so far so good (at least IMO)

as always comments are welcome ...

all the best

Steffen
P.S: I could not find my pix of the early building stages, but that was not much different than these
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
Very nice paint job Steffen ! Question though . What is the green black thing covering the glass ? Never seen it before , some kind of masking ? Okay two questions !
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
Second that, looks really nice. I think I should try airbrushed winter camo someday too.

That green thingy looks like a tarp to me. Did something go wrong with the transparencies, or just something for the sake of change once in a while?

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi Terri and Eetu

wow two replies ... I feel honoured

Many thanks for your kind comments!

1. I wanted the model with that tarp! I built no interior, and yes, it is because of variety. I have one closed Bf 110C this one with tarp (which fits nicely the winter theme) I will build a all open Bf 110 D from the Royal Class and another E as all black nightfighter ...

I searched very loong to find a good shot of that tarp as I was not sure how it would fit over the antenna mast. I found one in John Vasco's excellent new Bf 110 early series book (pg.187) .. it is a 2 part tarp. In this picture the engines and nose weapons are also covered, but I did not want to hide all the nice details of the markings...

2. Also i am on this one .. I started it many. many, many, many moons ago. Then last year I got a copy of the CE engine set and decided to craft it to the model, but I was missing some parts both from the kit and the set.

Yesterday I go the kit parts from Revell (very good service as always!!) and added the 2nd u/c leg. Today I added the hangar48/AeroCast wheels to the model, but as this will be a fully loaded aircraft (WT 151/20, 2 151/ in the nose, WGr.21 and Fuel tanks) the sit was just not right so I cut the oleos ... well, biig mistake, but as I was at it I fixed all broken parts .. which were pretty much all u/c parts. then I hit it with some skull white to have a better view on the model:

During curing time one of the legs "extended" again .. but I will fix that with a diorama idea .. know Bob Ross? ... happy little accidents!

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Very nice collection... of unfinished models!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. More seriously, you didn't told us how you did the tarp. Is it already painted?

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 08:15 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Quoted Text

Very nice collection... of unfinished models!

No need to appologizes, you are perfectly right! .. that is one of my problems .. I start almost every model kit I get, but i finish only a few. I could not build like you, just one model at a time, but i should focus enough to at least finish one a month to keep the stack balanced. you probably have seen this one: HS post

As for the tarp: thought I already had described it: I rolled out Magic Sculp (sandwiched between baking paper) and then cut it to shape and applied it to the model. Finally after it dried for a day I painted it Olive Drab ...

I added some more decals to the Eduard kit yesterday, so there is a chance I finish it this year

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi all

After another Klear coat I added the washing ... maybe i'll add the bulkhead numbers later, but I am not very inspired by that job .... might be I just "forget" about it

all the best

Steffen
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Love the distemper on S9+NN, it looks great.

I look forward to seeing your Revell kit getting paint on.

All the best

Howard
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Looking very good so far! Are you going to simulate a bit of overspay of the temporary white winter paint on the national markings and stencils, or marking a darker outline around them to show where the unit's painters were being careful?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hello Howard and Rowan

many thanks for your kind responses!

@Howard: the Revell kit is just slowly progressing, as i still lack a few parts (especially a nice prop and my reference) and it is no longer a weekend project. I try to focus on the Eduard 110E and the Tamiya Fw 190 F-8 to finally finish something after a loong time.

@Rowan: The crew left out a field for the tally, which i replicated a bit too large (maybe I will try something here in the finishing phase with white pigments) [Picture in Stipdonk Meyer: Die deutsche Luftwaffe: Zerstörer & Nightfighter units vol.2] .. the other thing is the darker exhaust stain i added in the last update.

In winter time the engines were set to a mixture with more oil and thus the exhaust stains are much heavier and dirtier on winter pix. As the rudders are directly in the airflow aft of the engine these were probably very dirty too. this will be worked out more after the flat coat. Added the props yesterday and just glued the u/c legs. Now I have to find the pic in LiF to determine if I need the long tail wheel strut (as a friend of mine built on his kit) ... I wanted to display my model towards the end of the winter with much of the white paint already worn and heavy exhaust stains .. but I like his approach too

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
A trap hey , I have never see that on an aircraft before . I like the idea . It draws peoples attention to the model ! Looking forward to seeing the finished model .

Cheers !
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I wasn't actually looking at the "kills" so much as the overall national / unit markings. With Luftwaffe winter camo, it was common to see a bit of over-spray or an obvious "stay clear!" surround (depending on how strict / careful the unit painters were) to the existing national and unit markings.

At the moment markings look like they're freshly applied over the winter camo - which may, of course, be true for the actual aircraft!

At which point I'd better shut up! - because it's reminded me that I need to get back to a certain Fw 190F (after weeks of no progress!) if I want to finish it by the Campaign deadline!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

you are right ... hint: white pigments.

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 03:45 AM UTC
Here we go again ..

yesterday arrived the Mastercaster Wheels ... sadly these are for the early machines (C/D) .. As I was at it I checked the wheels I have against the "Messerschmitt Bf 110 An illustrated study" by John Vasco.

Excursus: In my opinion (!!!!!) the Master Casters wheels have the correct diameter but the hub/rim is too large. the other wheels i have are of the late late style and from AeroCast. Again the diameter is good, but the rim/hub is a bit too small (all compared agains the drawings and photos in above mentioned book). Mirek of AeroCast (formerly known as Hangar48) also has early style wheels .. will have to check these too ... what did I again say about measuring and rivet counting .... Wish I could craft the MC rims to the AC wheels.

Sadly for my project the Mastercasters covered wheels are also of the early diameter ... short story short: I tried to reproduce the effect of the MC covers on the AC wheels (tissue shaped and glued with Klear and water and fixed with CA). Painted them with Gunze Khaki, but only the drybrushing will bring out the details (sorry for the bad pix). I also lengthened the tail wheel strut .. maybe a bit too much?

as always: comments welcome

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 05:36 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Looks great so far...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

The tarpaulin covers on the wheels look great. Are you going to add retaining straps for the cockpit covers once final painting is complete?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc and Rowan

many thanks for your kind words.

Yes I will add the straps later .. I am not yet sure if I will use flat "fabric" straps or "ropes". What do you think? using sewing thread would probably be the easiest way. I attach them that late because I want to play a little with pigments and these would probably collect around the straps

I will also shorten the tail wheel strut. I checked some more pictures and I think the extended look is only an in flight feature. On the ground it is mostly very much compressed. (I was thinking that they could be locked uncompressed, but it seems I was wrong) and as I also want to add some ordinance ..

drybrushed wheel: a slight wash will follow and the final clear coats will bring everything together

shortened tailwheel strut (about the original size of the part now .. so no need for any change if you build oob)

all the best

Steffen

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not yet sure if I will use flat "fabric" straps or "ropes". What do you think?

Hi Steffen

It looks like both in John Vasco's photo (certainly at the rear) - a short length of rope between the cover and a pale strap running under the fuselage. The attachment diagram for comparable Fw 190 covers in the HT Model Special (Page 110) seems to show straps (they are certainly depicted wider than the tie-down ropes), and the accompanying photo shows short ropes (more like strings, really) coming from a cover.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 11:23 PM UTC
Thanks again Rowan!

probably a measure to avoid the ropes harming the paint. OTOH things wear out and must be replaced

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

probably a measure to avoid the ropes harming the paint. OTOH things wear out and must be replaced

Hi Steffen

My own thought exactly.

Now, do you want the bad news?! In looking for pics of the straps, I just found a couple of photos that make me think the original cover was one-piece (not two-), with a seam on the port side to allow it to fit around the aerial mast:

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, this would be still good timing as this is quite easily corrected (in this stage) .. OTOH yours look like Bf 110G's ..

Anyway, I think I will correct it to a one piece thingie. I only found one half way clear shot of the tarp and this shows the machine from 8 o'clock high with the shadow of the mast forming a perfect addition to the cut on the lhs ... so no way to get the truth from that pic

Many thanks!!!

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I'm glad it's not too late for you. I rather think the one-piece cover might have been standard across all marks - it would more efficient to manufacture and ship, and makes it sense to only have one item in the stores as it avoids one half getting misplaced.

I'm sure I remember a servicing manual drawing with the covers in place - but, of course, I can't find it when it would be useful!

All the best

Rowan
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:28 AM UTC
excellent treatment of the 110 my old man had one built in the sixites and
i always loved it, will have to get round to building one myself.
I was thinking the tarp would be like a boat cover, with a split to allow
the mast in, then cleats and fasteners to zip it up.
If you have a dinghy park near you take a look and you'll see what i mean.
ropes would go from the edge of the tarp under the fuselage.

See the corner of the tarp in rowans first photo. it is pulled back taut
to toward the trailing edge of the wing prob a rope slung under and attached
to the corner on the other side.

Keep at it
JP
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking the tarp would be like a boat cover, with a split to allow the mast in, then cleats and fasteners to zip it up. If you have a dinghy park near you take a look and you'll see what i mean. ropes would go from the edge of the tarp under the fuselage.

See the corner of the tarp in rowans first photo. it is pulled back taut to toward the trailing edge of the wing prob a rope slung under and attached to the corner on the other side.

Hi JP

sorry, maybe I am a bit lame today, but what the heck are you talking about?

As explained above the tarp will get a rope/strip thingie in front of the wing and one aft. These are fixed at the corners of the tarp. It already has straps at the side as can be seen here:

I assumed from the pic in Vasco's book (pg.187) that it was a two part affair, but Rowan convinced me that it was just one that has a slit for the mast.

All this has been written above, and now please explain slowly (you know, I am German) what you want to add to that.

many thanks!

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

It probably is a translation problem - JP's explanation is just what we've discussed; a one-piece cover with a slit at one side to allow for the aerial mast (or boat's mast in his maritime example), pulled tight with retaining ropes or straps.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP