_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
AFC Pilot Uniform
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 08:50 PM UTC
Hi.
Could someone please tell me if Australian Flying Corp pilots during WWI wore pilot wings on flying jackets, and if so, were they metal or cloth. I am building a Roden 1/32 SE5a and chose an AFC scheme to complete the model. I have also made a pilot figure from a 1/35 scale WW2 military figure to compliment the aircraft so the added detail of "wings"on the pilot's chest would enhance the overall appearance.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks....Des.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. Could someone please tell me if Australian Flying Corp pilots during WWI wore pilot wings on flying jackets, and if so, were they metal or cloth. I am building a Roden 1/32 SE5a and chose an AFC scheme to complete the model. I have also made a pilot figure from a 1/35 scale WW2 military figure to compliment the aircraft so the added detail of "wings"on the pilot's chest would enhance the overall appearance.

Thanks....Des.

Without going into more research - daily uniforms had the embroidered emblems. Walking out uniforms were probably more simple but we are discussing the officers unifoprms so pins were common for that purpose.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi. Could someone please tell me if Australian Flying Corp pilots during WWI wore pilot wings on flying jackets, and if so, were they metal or cloth. I am building a Roden 1/32 SE5a and chose an AFC scheme to complete the model. I have also made a pilot figure from a 1/35 scale WW2 military figure to compliment the aircraft so the added detail of "wings"on the pilot's chest would enhance the overall appearance.

Thanks....Des.

Without going into more research - daily uniforms had the embroidered emblems. Walking out uniforms were probably more simple but we are discussing the officers unifoprms so pins were common for that purpose.

I believe that AFC uniforms were the same as RFC and later RAF - embroidered wings on all uniforms.
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC
Thanks Bulldog#3

I will add the detail to my pilot figure.

Cheers...Des
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 02:37 PM UTC
Many thanks Stephen.

I have cut a metal "pilot Wings"from very thin sheet brass, polished it then added some painted detail, looks good on his chest.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Cheers....Des.
 _GOTOTOP