_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
What airbrush??
MadMatt2002
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi, I am about to make a model of a D.H 89 Rapide (kit by Heller) and although I have made many models before(Large R/C and plastic kit) I would like this one to be different for 1 main reason.
My father is currently very ill(82yrs) and as a young man he flew for a company called Air Transport Charter, which flew Rapides and DC3's.
My fathers most remembered aircraft he flew was G-AIUL(a/c is still around in storage at Chirk in Wales-apparantly-condition unknown) and I would love to make this model as close to the actual A/c he flew at the time.
my questions are this.
1) what airbrush/compressor would you recommend for a beginner(i.e. not breaking the bank!!)or can you get a really good finish with brushes?
2) how do you get decals made up for bespoke models?This a/c had the company name under the cockpit-and would be very small letters on model!

Thanks for any info you are able to offer, I look forward to your reply,

Regards

Matthew Smith
p.s.- any chance of a review on this model kit??
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:16 AM UTC
gotta run but want to point you to this feature on ab's

Triple Treat
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
I'm back...
For aircraft you want an airbrush.
I would recommend that you set a goal of a double action gravity feed airbrush. In my opinion these are two very good features of a brush. Double action (eventually) is required, gravity feed (cup on top) is not required but very nice.
Depending on your desires and funds a double action may not be your 1st brush.

A compressor I can't really address because I haven't been exposed to UK products. I know there have been some reviews of them on the KitMaker Network.
I would shoot for a system with a reserve tank. This will help reduce noise. The compressor runs to fill the tank and then shuts off till the tank is empty. For for the few minutes while you're brushing there is no noise.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 04:24 AM UTC
It depends on what your budget is . You don't want to go to cheap ( you pay for what you get for ) an Airbrush and compressor is an investment , which you want to last you for a very long time . Testors has starter packages for the beginner , however you will need to pick up the cans of pellent which can be very costly in the long run . Great for practicing on until you build up your experince with using one .
Slobber is right on the double action and you can get then where you can set to be use as single action and as you get confendence from use it , from turning a screaw you will have the double action back . For the compressor shop around for one the range any where from 100 bucks and up .

A great place to look is e-vil bay or on modelling sites in the want adds . Hyperscale is a great place to start . Even here . I can reconmmend the badger 350 single action airbrush her in Canada it's about 80 bucks easy to use and clean .

As for the decals , if you are handy with computers and have a inkjet printer you can make your own . Testors has decal paper and a spray to over coat them after printing them to hold them together . You can also see if one of the follows here can print them for you .

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi,

You could try this setup, I did and its excellent. I brought the Compressor, airbrush and hose for about £95 which is a real bargain.

here

I have been using it regularly and the compressor ahs never missed a beat, and the brush, for such a cheap example has performed faultlessly. I have had to relace the needle once (because I bent it when cleaning it ) and the nozzle once (lost it when cleaning ). Replacement parts are cheap though so no drama there.

Delivery was quick, ordered one day arrived next.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:25 AM UTC
http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Gravity_Feed.html

These guys are good and cheap. I got the ab130. You can find
the same ab130 all over ebay. I think it is a copy of some other
airbrush but it is really solid feeling.

Review here. Looks like they put the price up by a tenner since then.
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/2691
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi Matt
as you are in the UK for decals you could try Paul Parkes. He is in Birmingham and has a forum over on Britmodeller where you can get in touch.
Parkes682Decals
He may well be able to help you out
Steve
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

You could try this setup, I did and its excellent. I brought the Compressor, airbrush and hose for about £95 which is a real bargain.

here

I have been using it regularly and the compressor ahs never missed a beat, and the brush, for such a cheap example has performed faultlessly. I have had to relace the needle once (because I bent it when cleaning it ) and the nozzle once (lost it when cleaning ). Replacement parts are cheap though so no drama there.

Delivery was quick, ordered one day arrived next.

Great minds think alike Steve and the moral of the story. Don't clean your airbrush
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

p.s.- any chance of a review on this model kit??

Hi Matt

I'll dodge all all the airbrush issues and just say - if you review it, we'll run it. Check out the style and format of our existing reviews, but this is an ideal opportunity to fill in a blank in our database - and if you can provide a Build-Review on the Rapide, so much the better!

All the best

Rowan
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC
Thought I would throw my hat in the ring! I have been using the Aztek airbrush line for over ten years, it got me back into airbrushing and away from rattle cans! I recommend at least the Aztek double action airbrush which is around 90 to 100 dollars here in the U.S. If you want single and double action go an extra 30 or 40 dollars, U.S., and get the Aztek 4709. This is the one I have. I really like it and it performs well I think.

A compressor is up to you, a local hardware store or hobby shop can get you started around 120 dollars U.S.. Sorry I haven't been able to convert to pounds! Yikes.

Hope you invest in a set up, don't forget an organic vapors mask, it helps with the lungs! Hope this helps. Russell.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
In my opinoin the BEST bang for buck as far as airbrushes go is probable the old Badger 60, a VERY decent airbrush,and single action. You can get knock-off Iwata compressors at a great price too....having said all this I prefer Iwata hands down on all fronts...
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
I go with Airgunner particularly if you want to try and not sure how you will take to it . I use the same kit but recently bought a second brush. The compressor is really quiet and the double action gravity feed brush is adequate. I too after a year of use have had to replace a needle (bent while cleaning) (theme here somewhere) and a nozzle clogged by Vallejo day-glo paint, I will probably clear that. I saw the Airfix Rapide the other week and will buy one soon.
G-AIUL was built by British Coachworks Ltd Works number NR749 registered 8/11/46 appears to have been de-registered in 1973. The last registered owner lived in High Wycombe. As it is de-registered it is probably not still flying
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 08:55 PM UTC
Ive been using the airbrush and compressor from everything airbrush for about two years now mainly on armour kits but no problems at so far.
 _GOTOTOP