World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Another Messerschmitt Bf 109 E 1/48 (Tamiya)
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 09:38 PM UTC
Now that was a sweet little engine, with bearers and all. But I guess I'll have to read up on the DB-models so I don't put in in the wrong frame . The inside of the cowling is absolutely beautiful too.

Thanks for the tip Tony
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 04:08 PM UTC
Another great build Steffen. Can't wait to see it finished

Taylor
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
It seems very well detail the engine. A very nice project Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thanks guys !

All projects are on hold at the moment as I have to prepare for my exam/certification next week.

Daniel: the engine was just a hint for Tony, I will build my model pretty much oob (plus Eduard zoom).

all the best

Steffen
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
We´´ll wait for the next advance,

good luck with the exam
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hi steffen,

Quoted Text

All projects are on hold at the moment as I have to prepare for my exam/certification next week.

Like we say in France... merde!

I spoke with Marc last week. Unfortunately he is busy this week and with your exam I think it wouldn't have been the right timing anyway. Maybe we could organize a meeting in June?

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Well, I still hoped for "Thors day" ... I will probably do nothing one day before the exam and thus a trip to Niederseebach would have been a nice diversion. Maybe I can do some modelling here .. but I am pretty stressed at the moment and cannot focus on anything longer than a few minutes. I am also behind my "learning" schedule (I am haveing a hard time on that, because I never needed it in school and managed get through my curse of studies too).

Today I layed on a first coat of RLM 65 on my Bf109E and Bf109F-2 .. nothing to take some pix of, but at least a small progress.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi fellow Messerschmitt-fans

I am not progressing much, as I can not focus on anything at the moment ..

Still I layed on some more colour and took a pic of what I have now (both crates will get 65/02/71 .. I have no decals for the Bf 109 F-2 yet ... hope there will be a set of Mölders Kommodore machine one day (or something close, esp. white kill markings with roundels):

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:18 AM UTC
Nice clean spray job on the yellow Steffen .
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:52 AM UTC
Very nice Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC
Many thanks Terri and Daniel!

As I wrote, there was nothing much to show. The yellow was airbrushed in 3 layers: White (Gunze Aqueous H11), then Yellow (Gunze Aqueous H4), and as it seemed a bit too less red to my eye I shot another layer of Sunburst Yellow (GW - which is a very good match for RLM 04 IMO).

I broke both tail wheels meanwhile and replaced the struts with hypodermic needle. Also i applied the camo of 02/71. I masked it for the Bf 109E and used a card board mask for the F-2.

comments always welcome (also if you do not like it ... really!! but in that case please give my some advise why not)

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 06:04 AM UTC
Here is another pic ... ready for the Klear coat (I'll shoot that tomorrow).

The mottling was done according to the pix in kageros monograph Bf 109E Vol.1 for Pingels machine and from Jagdwaffe Vol.2 sec.4 for Mölders mount. I did not quite succeed on the latter, but I hope it will look o.k. once the decals are on.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hi all

yesterday i applied some decals .. some went wrong and i had to replace them and i had to repair the lhs "Doppelwinkel" as the tip broke off when I moved it ... using Klear as decal medium requires exact placement the first time, as you have not much time to move it around ... the "decal-Klear" dissolves the underlying Klear layer and melts the decal into this .. gives a nice effect, but is a bit difficult to handle for larger decals (read. i would not recommend this to rookies)

here is how it looks now:

when i already had placed the decal for the kill markings (rhs - not shown) I found out, that Kagero got that wrong .. as clearly shown by the pix in that very same volume. It looks the same as lhs, i.e. it is left aligned and not symmetrical to the other side. (hope that makes sense - maybe check the profile and pic in my first post of the thread). BTW I forgot to install the ReVi ... stupid, I know.

all the best

Steffen
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 10:39 PM UTC
That's looking great Steffen. I really like the comparision between the small differences in camo. Same shades but different mottling and demarcation.

Tony
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC
Today just a small update

@Tony: thanks, mate! The Bf 109E was done according to the Tamiya instructions for this scheme (it fits the pictures in the Kagero pretty nicely). the Bf109F was done vaguely copying this, but the pix i found do not really show the camouflage pattern so I chose a soft demarcation for it and altered it a bit.

The mottly on the Bf 109E was done accoring to the Kagero. the picture in the first post suggests a stronger contrast, but it was taken in direct sun light, which killed all the nuances and thus I rather stuck to the Kagero pix. Bf109F according to Jagdwaffe Vol3/4...

I smeared the whole model with oils (thinned with testors thinner) I used my "warm grey"(near RLM 02) mixed with a bit of field grey (MIG) for the underside adding more Field grey and "ebony black" for the rest. The mix was constanly altered as i do not want all panel lines the same shade (hope this makes sense)

Jean-Luc likes this step in my procedure the most, as i really mess up my model

BTW I know I forgot the medikit badge .. some others too

all the best

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:47 AM UTC
Looks good, Steffen.

I have considered several times to use cardboard instead of masking. Especially since masking is my least favourite part of model making. Having seen your result I will have a go for it.

The wash looks very heavy. How long to you leave your wash before wiping it off again?

Looking forward to see more
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

Well, I let it dry. I want to keep as much as possible in the panel lines, so it has to be pretty dry . Today I waited about 20 minutes, but sometimes I leave it over night (or longer) when I have something different to do. I use a cloth dampened with thinner and wipe the model .. in difficult corners I use Q-tips and the like ..

The difference to this pic (see below) is hard to make out, because I have some natural shadows there, but these are now also simulated by the wash so that they are also visible in different lighting conditions.

cheers

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
Most impressive Steffen , even if you did forget to add some things , old age maybe there my friend ?
I would have to agree on having the panel lines pick out in different shades , brings more const/ to the finish model but not over doing it . All black just does't look right in my eye .

Another note , nice smooth gloss coat !
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Many thanks, Terri!

Quoted Text

even if you did forget to add some things , old age maybe there my friend ?

possible, 35 in a few weeks ... I better start counting the hairs on my pillow

Quoted Text

Another note , nice smooth gloss coat !

actually it is not as smooth as I'd like it to be. I have some runs here and there to polish out.

all the best

Steffen
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:57 PM UTC
Steffen:
I am really enjoying watching the builds. The wash turned out great. What did you use for the gloss coat? I agree with Terri, that looks flawless.

Taylor
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:50 PM UTC
Thank you, Taylor!

If paid some attention to what I wrote you could have noticed that I quite often write of "Klear" this is not because I am dyslexic, but the product I used. It is the British brand name of Pledge (formerly known as Future). Sadly the bottle I bought 2003 (for ~2GBP) is now nearing its end (I tipped it over once and lost approx. 25% this way) ... hope that "Erdal Glänzer" here in Germany is really the same stuff as I like it very much.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:11 PM UTC
Today I have some pix again.

Wednesday I added some of the missing decals and yesterday the whole crate got some Gunze Flat clear to bring everything together. Then I added some small parts like pitot, mass balances and wheels. there is still some stuff to do .. the spinner is my greatest concern as I have to add some blue stripes and a black segment .. and it is not really easy to mask (I do not have such a steady hand like our artist Jean-Luc to paint them by hand)

Here are two pix to illustrate my progress so far:

(the pix are sadly not really good. I just have a standard coolpix L2 and it is still a bit dark in here and the ccd had some problems)

all the best

Steffen
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
A very good job Steffen, it´s getting very nice
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
Most impressive Steffen ! not to worry about painting straight lines , I can't do them either , or at least have a clean edge . I noticed on my 190 build and yes it was the camera on which pointed it out to me ) there are some lines I need to touch up on .

Looking forward to the rest !

35 years young !
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

Very nice progress! It seems you have overcome the most "dangerous" steps of the build. The rest will be easy...

Jean-Luc

P.S. Thanks for the Hurricane. I will work on it as soon as possible...