_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Another Messerschmitt Bf 109 E 1/48 (Tamiya)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 09:47 PM UTC
Many thanks Terri, Daniel and Jean-Luc

I wanted to avoid several "thank you posts" until I had something to post, so sorry for the late reply. I painted the spinner yesterday ... quite a task for a hamfisted guy like me. I looked closely to the pix in Kagero and in my opinion the spinner is (from the enginge forward) blue/white/blue/white and the last stripe is split in 3 segments white-black-blue ... that's my interpretation, with the blue colour adopted from the sources

here is just one pic (one was to blurry to post it) .. when the antenna is on and the canopy demasked I will take the 10pic all around shots, so that you can see all the mistakes (which were not so many this time)

all the best

Steffen

P.S. Thanks for the info Jean-Luc ... I thought it is something different for Aeroscale and as I wrote I try to improve my older articles (on the IPMS D website) with some new/better pictures
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hi All

Well, everything must come to an end ..so does this project. As rare as it is in my case, but I call it finished.

Had to take the pix twice as i noticed I had forgotten to install the guns ... doh.

comments welcome!

all the best

Steffen
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
What mora can I say than it´s an excellent work. It seems beatifuul, the camu, you have a very good hand with the airbrush
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
Nice job Steffen, i like 71/02/65 schemes the best for 109's- well early ones anyway. Looks like Gunze camo colours to me? I really like their RLM colours, especially their 02 shade.

Something looked different than usual for this one and it took me a while to work out what it was. It's the yellow nose- it extends back further along the fuselage than most Bf109's with yellow noses that i've seen.

Andrew
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
Many thanks Daniel!!

It is no perfect model but I am quite satisfied (and it was intended as motivation project, which worked out).

Some hints:
the rhs "Doppelwinkel" is a bit off angle,
the antenna mast is too flexible in the Tamiya kit; the antenna almost has no tension, but it still bends the mast.
the wheels are not weighted
and there are some futher things I could mention ... but OTOH it was fun

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job Steffen, i like 71/02/65 schemes the best for 109's- well early ones anyway. Looks like Gunze camo colours to me? I really like their RLM colours, especially their 02 shade.

Something looked different than usual for this one and it took me a while to work out what it was. It's the yellow nose- it extends back further along the fuselage than most Bf109's with yellow noses that i've seen.

Andrew

Many thanks, Andrew!

Yes it is Gunze ... like those shades a lot and the RLM 02 is the best oob I have found (IMO) and the handling in my airbrush (Gabbert Triplex) is very good (they worked also very good with my Atztek 470).

The yellow nose made me choose this camo .. the profile in Kagero's Monograph even has the panel in front of the wind shield painted yellow, but checking all the pix there made me believe the artist got that wrong and the profile I quoted in the first post of this thread is more correct.

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC
Another fine build Steffen ! Excellent job with just the right amount of weathering .
Was the prop hand painted ?

Cheers
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Another fine One-Oh-Nine! A very nice job, Steffen - and a great thread as well.

Cheers!
chuk
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:54 AM UTC
Many thanks for your kind and forgiving words, Terri and Chuk

@Terri: I masked the prop with my Aizu tape (that is the same stuff like Tamiya but it comes in narrower rolls --- I used 1.5 mm) but the result was not very good so I had to rework it by hand .. it still is not all straight and nice, but I can live with it.

@Chuk: well, my thread is surely not is nice and enjoyable as your Me 410 and Helldiver threads, but I hope it was at least a bit informative ... even if just out of the box.

all the best

Steffen
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC
Stunning work there Steffen. Again, you've got quite an impressive build!!!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 09:24 PM UTC
Thank you, Hermann!

now off to the oldrr projects ... maybe I can get my 110E finished before you complete yours I can dream, can't I...

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

Excellent build! The pictures are great too!

I hope to be able to see the model in real soon...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hallo Jean-Luc

Thanks, my friend! I also sent you the pix of the finished model for a small photo feature .. in case you have some spare time.

Ich bin fast immer hier, du brauchst nur vorbei zu kommen. Oder wir treffen uns bei Marc, dann mußt du mir aber schreiben, was ich mitbringen soll ... ich habe ja jetzt alle meine Modell hier und diese alle mitzubringen ist mir zu aufwendig.

viele Grüße

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP