_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Losing panel lines.......how not to do it?
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:01 AM UTC
Been working on a P-47 on and off for the last year or so. I lost interest for months ,as I sanded away some of the panel lines......

a) is there a way of re-panel-lining a 1/72 model?

b) what's the best way not to lose the panel lines in the first place, especially when there is a lot of sanding to do?

Cheers
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
There was a post here a while back from another modeler who said that he scribed over the existing panel lines before he did the sanding, so that the lines would still be visible after the sanding. You can rescribe the panel lines by using a scribing tool of some sort and using something to guide you in your work. Again, I have heard of others using label tape because it is flexible and sticks well enough to guide the tool as you gently rescribe the lines. I think the keyword here is gently. Practice on an old model or piece of styrene before you jump in. Also, there are some templates made by different companies. Some drafting or art supply stores sell plastic drafting templates of different size and shaped "openings" (rectangles, squares, ovals, circles, etc) that people use for drawings. You can also use them for this purpose. Hope this gives you a starting point.

Have fun,
Matt
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 12:24 PM UTC
Heres an example of how to fill gaps without sanding away any detail.
FILLING GAPS MADE EASY

Nige
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 03:10 PM UTC
Nige:

Great tip. I really appreciate your tips and photos...makes it really clear.
Thanks.
Matt
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 07:20 PM UTC
hawkeye's "reading the seams" thread here on aeroscale is very helpful too.

also over on the airedale navy thread andy is coping with a poor fit by
deliberately introducing gaps so as not to have to deal with a step.

nailing it really makes such a difference between something that looks like a kit
and something that looks like a plane in miniature.

I just took quick look at your drawings, brilliant stuff, with a smooth airframe
you will definitely be working magic.

for rescribing the lines once you've done sanding i use a sewing needle in a pin vice.
everyone has their favorite tool for this though. dymo tape for a guide can help.

propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:46 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips, guys!

Nige, that is brilliant! I'll try it on my future models...............and what's very silly on my part, is that I read and commented on how useful your thread was a while back!!! Doe!! Getting old....lol
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige, that is brilliant! I'll try it on my future models...............and what's very silly on my part, is that I read and commented on how useful your thread was a while back!!! Doe!! Getting old....lol

I had noticed Alex, but I thought I'd let you have a "senior moment" all to yourself,,,lol.

Nige
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
I don't have a lot of experience with scribing panel lines, but in my experience the ultimate way to avoid panel lines is an airbrush or spray cans. If you are using an airbrush already, then you just need some practice. I experimented on a plane that I had screwed up badly enough to call for the trash. Get a feel for your brush, what settings work for different types of spraying and with different types of paint. Once you can switch between detailing thin panel lines and covering a 1:32 fuselage in a few swipes, you're good to go. Good luck rescribing and with future kits!
 _GOTOTOP