_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
F4D-1 Skyray 1/72nd **WIP**
Rusty2785
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:55 AM UTC
Here is a box art pic of the model i'm building. First kit in a long time so check back for updates. Any advice, comments and resources you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rusty
Rusty2785
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
Helps if you actually remember to post the pic lol

Rusty2785
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
does anyone know what paints are good for using for airbrushing that are pre thinned in aircraft colours etc? I'm needing to get something similar to Tamiya AS-16 & AS-20?

cheers

Rusty
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
Well Rusty are you looking for acrylics or oil ? most of the latter here use acrylics paints . For airbrushing the paint needs to be thinned . Tamyia , Gunzu , Testors Model Master , Polly Scale ........ The list goes on . The paint should be thinned to the concisest of skim milk . For use of thinners you do have different options . You will get better results using the same as the manufacture to what paint . Rubbing alcohol ( isopropyl) can be use for all acrylics and is much cheaper . Add the thinner slowly , if you add to much you will have to remix a new batch . Always easier to add more . I always spray with flat base paints . I find they cover better then gloss base paints but this is just me .

Oil paints are the same for thinning and you can use mineral spirits for thinning as well However , they are harder to clean the airbrush where acrylic paint can be cleaned with water , rubbing alcohol even windex and easier on the lungs .

Can't help you with the jet thingy , I know nothing about jets , but I do look forward to your build ...............................all this said with out my morning coffee .......
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the answer, Terri, I was about to ask the question that fits your answer. One thing, however: I used Tamiya acrylics with Tamiya acrylic thinner last night, and had a bit of a (minor) problem with it running the coat underneath. I will use some of that for cleaning brushes, but are the thinners you mentioned (alcohol, windex, etc.) good for thinning the paint for airbrushing? I've seen your work, and you do a beautiful job. Thanks for answering what must be a bit of a dumb question.

Matt

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 02:24 PM UTC
Matt , the only dumb question are ones which aren't asked . Asking questions is the best tool we have .

To answer your question , Yes you can thin acrylic paints with rubbing alcohol and windex .

What did you use for the under surface ?
Rusty2785
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Cheers Terri

I think in the past I have thinned a little too much and it seems to have run. I used paint thinners on the acrylic tamiya paints before and it didnt come out right. Maybe I should just play about with it, and as you say start with little as you can always add more. Impressive answer considering you hadnt had your morning coffee!! well played lol

Thanks for your help Terri, your like a modelpedia!!

Rusty
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Well I wouldn't go as far as modelpedia ...............................

No trouble at all Rusty , we all have to start somewhere . I knew very little about a lot of stuff when I first joined the site . But the guy's here jump in to help with the questions and I'm still learning new stuff all the time . Wether it's a new tip or tecknic or info on a aircraft !

Happy modelling ...........................now where is my coffee ...........................

So a man say's ..........How do you know these things ? .................well I said , I know things about legs !
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt , the only dumb question are ones which aren't asked . Asking questions is the best tool we have .

To answer your question , Yes you can thin acrylic paints with rubbing alcohol and windex .

What did you use for the under surface ?

I used Mr. Surfacer 1000 to prime the part. Then Tamiya acrylic thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner. Maybe it was the thinner that caused it to run a bit. I'll try Windex today. thanks, Terri.

Matt
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Matt , sorry Rusty on the hijack here , seems to have turned out to be more on thinning and airbrushing !

Matt : There are few things that could be causing the paint to run ....

1. The paint is thinned to much .....mix ration 30% thinning 70% paint ( consist of skim milk ) This can very depending on the paint and effect one wants to do .

2. Holding the spray gun to close to the surface , or moving the brush to slow causing paint to build up .
Start the spray off the model spray at a medium pace and release off the the model .
I have some junk models that I practice on until I had the feel off it .

3. Air pressure , if you can set the air pressure to 15 PSI on your compressor you will have better results .

4. Now sit back and have a coffee , admire your handy work with a smile !

So a man says's ..........How do you know these things ?.................Well I said .........I know things about leg's !

Rusty2785
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 09:02 AM UTC
Hey Terri

no worries about the hijack. It's good stuff to be learning for me too. Always had a problem thinning my own paints. Got a bit more work done on the skyray over the weekend (not a lot) so will hopefully get some pics taken tonight or tomorrow and get them on here asap.

Was also interested in joining the stripey plane campaign, not sure if my skill is up to it yet though. DOn't want to have my plane with curvey stripes next to everyone elses lol

Rusty
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Thanks, Terri. I think I thinned it too much by accident and then had the fatal thought "I can make this work." That's like saying "Hold my beer and watch this." Rusty, just work deliberately and ask a lot of questions if you're in doubt. You get a lot of good help and tips. I used to see those things flying around my city when i was younger. As i remember they were gloss gray with a white belly. That was pretty standard camouflage at the time for the Navy. The quality of the striping is in part due to how the masking is applied to the model. Just take your time and work to get it as right as you can. The stringbaggers are great at stripes, so Terri is a good source for a "how to" on that subject. When i used tape, I used to paint the edges with a clear first to seal it. The clear would take up any space that would normally be seepage, then the color would be crisp. I imagine by now there are better ways. Someone here said it is better to think one hour and build 5 minutes than to think for 5 and build for an hour. That's pretty good advice, I think.

Thanks,
Matt

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 06:42 PM UTC
Rusty don't be shy about your builds , Sign up for the campaign and have fun !
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 12:20 PM UTC
I have been using Tamiya masking tape and only really have problems on tight radii. I tried a stripey Fokker DVII on a cheap SMER kit that I didn't care about and it came out well using draughtsmans tape that I had lying around. Buy decent tape, press the edges down, especially if one piece rides over another, spray light coats, don't rush. One day I'll take my own advice
 _GOTOTOP