_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
DVII (OAW) 1/48th Eduard Kornbeef.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 09:22 PM UTC
Well guys and girls, whilst conquering my Rigging worries *trying to copy marks TB making* I delved into the stash....digging out the old Dragon DVIII and Eduards DVII. more on the DVIII in a later post.

Folowing Stephen's build I took note of the mods he pointed out. Many thanks Stephen.

But being me and having had a go at one of these kits before built as Starks A/C but sadly disappointed with Eduards spotty scratchy decals...why did they do that?

Anyway, I rummaged arround finding enough 1/48th eaglestrike to cover the upper but not enough for the lower. So I've ordered some from Microsculpt and am awaiting their arrival.

Being me isnt easy.....thinking the cockpit area couls be opened up a little I set about the fuselage with a dremel......results...melted and holed plastic of course.....

pass the plasticard nurse... :-P

so 1 rebuilt interior is underway....not thinking that thinning the walls puts everything else out of scale...ho hum I think the Fokker built DVII that follows might be done differently. Of course one you start scratching where does it stop?

the loz....studying pics from http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/index.html and decided printed doesnt mean soaked right through the linen. So I tried Stephens idea of flipping the decal and using woodlands scenic PVA. Eduards was no good having a white base but eagle strikes looked pretty good though the purple was rather vivid and I had to overspray the linen colour a little stronger than I would have liked.

So rebuilding the framework with .20 rod and such the floor withplasticard etc. Of course that meant rebuillding the controls too.

I'm opening up the louvres a little as I go. Wings are pretty much ready, waiting for the transatlantic postman now to deliver my microsculpt loz.

I intend building thi as Buchners Werewolf green & blue DVII so anyone has any info to any unusual, non standard or other pointers on this A/C it would be apreciated My info is limited to the DVII anthologies and what I can find netwise.....and here of course most of all.

Keith

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Not bad at all there Keith ! Nice work in the cockpit . I will not comment on Eduards Lozenge ..........................but microsculpt is the best !!!! I wanted to use them on my Fokker build but didn't have enough ......

On the profile you are working on , sorry to say I don't have any . If I find some I will let you know
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
cheers Terri, loking at your pics the loz doesnt seem as spitty and spotty as mine.....must be the pics, I had contemplated using it for the underside but thought seeing as I was ordering upper I may as well push the boat out and get both.....4 & 5 colour up and blw while I have a little dosh left.

:)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .Following Stephen's build I took note of the mods he pointed out. Many thanks Stephen.

But being me and having had a go at one of these kits before built as Starks A/C but sadly disappointed with Eduards spotty scratchy decals...why did they do that?

. . .Keith"

Eduard hired Mr. Mark Miller for the artwork on this first Fokker (OAW) issue. Its on the box art and the instruction booklet. (He is working with WNW now.) Its not about feel its about simulating the look of clear doped fabric. Anything that was painted usually had some kind of uniform surface field. Printed fabric like lozenge had areas that showed the texture or thread shadows. Look at Mark Miller's renditions of his Fokker D.VII.

Here below is my attempt on an 1/48 Eduard late production Schwerin Fok. D.VII fuselage.

Click here for Lozenge 101.

Here for texturing simulated fabric areas.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 04:59 PM UTC
For reference on this kit and Buchner's bird (he had several by the way),Click here.

The green and white striped tail unit on Eduard's Ltn. Franz Büchner Jasta 13 machine is unconfirmed by any photos I have seen on the subject. It was probably the same blue as the fuselage - solid not striped. And he did have had more than one machine painted in this scheme. This late model OAW built machine is seen after the war. Wingless and without its horizontal or vertical tail units. Its blue seemed much lighter than other images of Jasta 13 examples that are available. Note as mentioned before, the reference to Büchner’s late version OAW having a BMW engine is not supported by any photos that I have seen either.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 08:55 PM UTC
Thanks for the info and links Stephen, once again you leave me better informed and equally confused. That's just me though

Thanks Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 04:21 AM UTC
How's the progress coming Keith ?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How's the progress coming Keith ?

pretty good Terri, I have the magazine in, the sides painted and the floor ,dash and bits woodgrained. I'm working on the seatframe and dash panel at the mo..... found a pair of failed Dragon DVII's in the loft so am pinching a few bits offa them...ammo feeds for one and the stirrups for the rudder bar. Got confirmation the loz has shipped from Microscale so am looking forward to recieving what may be my last purchase in a while...LOL

K
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
Well...... Manic times,

I got my Loz from Microscale Yday, I have to say "very nice indeed" so I set about Lozzing the lower wings.

In between this and dont ask why I checked the fuselage against Windsock files....found the louvre pattern was Fokker and not OAW so have had some change of plan.

Whilst lozzing I soaked my old unfinished *Lilac Li* in vineger squeezy and water till the cr*ppy Loz lifted........and began a 3rd Early Fokker DVII too....

So I have:-

Fokker DVII late with 4 colour loz (Greven J12 or Bolle Jasta Boelke)

OAW DVII 4 colour loz/lilac (Stark J 35b)

Fokker DVII Early streaked fuse and 5 colour loz Profile to be decided

Dont ask why I dont know but it seemed to just happen so I may start a new Build blog on all 3 if I get some pics tomorrow.

What do you think
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
Wow talk about adventures in Keith's Worlds !

Yup you have some choices there don't you . I'm sure what every you come up with will be most excellent indeed Keith .

Looking forward to all three builds now !

Glad you are impressed with Microsculpts lozenge , what are you using for the rib tapes ?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
I have ribtape decals coming out my ears.....grins

Not literally though...just wayward hair.

Seriously, I have a stash of Eduards from these kits, A sheet of Eagle Strike too.
Though Fokker used loz ribtape I believe so I will be trying to slice Eduard and Eagle strike loz.....I thought the slight variance might just bring the ribtape out....I have to experiment.

More pouring through Datafiles I guess
 _GOTOTOP