_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Best Modern AC Simulation?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
Do you happen to know any good AC combat available that has many fighters available for use for the PC? This could be a good reference on what model should I buy and how it looks like. So far, I played the game Aero Dancing for the Dreamcast console. It offers a lot of modern AC and its the best I've played yet
REMF11M
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
Check out Jane's U.S.A.F. I like it and I think theres an expansion pack out with Israeli jets for it.
Galaxy_FE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC
I still think that Falcon 4.0 rules the roost for shear accuracy. While you can only fly one airplane, the existing models of others aren't too bad.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Im an avid online combat flight sim junkie, but up until this point only WWII sims, the best by a long shot is IL2 sturmovik Forgotten Battles, the best graphics, flight models, and targeting (most sims use a bubble around the aircraft and apply hits to the nearest componant where the bullets hit the bubble, il2 you have to hit the aircraft itself) and the most indepth game play, like complex engine management ie adjusting your fuel mixture, props and such, damage profiles,on aircraft and pilot, and fully functioning cockpit gauges, well to get to my point the makers of il2 are coming out with a modern flight sim called "lock-on" or lo-mac it looks to be awesome, supposed to be out in the next few months if its anything like il2 it will definately be worth the price of admission. here is the addy to check it out, the screen shots are prettty sweet.

http://www.lo-mac.com/

one big difference between the makers of il2 and other flight sims is that il2 watches their forum boards, and actually adress problems in their sims with patches and updates usually always containing new aircraft and fixes to problems, anywhoo this one should be good.

Bender
oh yea, Im not affiliated with IL2FB or ubi soft in any way shape or form, just want to see more people fly and fight in the virtual skies.

virtual bullets cause no harm.....well maybe a bruised ego here or there.. hehehe
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 05:00 AM UTC
I enjoy "Janes Fighters Anthrology and the IAF. Both have occupied way to much of my time. :-)
ModlrMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
I vote for Janes USAF. Realistic, and you get to fly lots of different aircraft.
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
I enjoyed Longbow gold, IAF and Falcon 4.0.

shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I vote for Janes USAF. Realistic, and you get to fly lots of different aircraft.

Does the plane have take-off's and landings? Is there a Harrier capable of VTOL? Are there custom maps and multiplayer gaming?
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
Been a while since I played it Shonen, but yes, there are take-offs and landings, you can customize missions and do multiplayer (IIRC). But as far as I know there isn't a VTOL capable Harrier - yet.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
I too think that Janes USAF is one of the better flight sims......but has anyone got it working with Windows XP? Janes isn't going to patch it for XP....I know some guys are working on it.....but hasn't happened yet.

However shonen....as the game comes stock.....no it doesn't have any VTOL stuff such as the Harrier...however if you get some of the mods for the game....you can get a Harrier in game....now whether it takes off like a Harrier I am not sure.

Another good on that is coming along....and I am sure I will get lots of boos for this is Strike Fighters. Its good if you like the 60's and 70's combat, comes with 3 versions of the A-4, the F-100, F-104, and 3 versions of the F-4, as well as the Mig-19. Now with all the mods going on with this sim, there is now a Tu-22 Blinder, Su-15, F-86, B-52, A-1, F-80, and thats just what I have....there are also lots more in the works including A-10, A-7, A-6, as well as probably alot more that I haven't seen, as well alot of new weapons are being developed for the game as well.....ie: B-52, armed with a bunch of AGM-86 ALCMs......hehe....the doo the whole villiage attitude!!!

Alot of work has slowed down on the plane making as they are awaiting a patch from the developer that is supposed to open alot of the code up and make it easier to mod...Third Wire is being pretty generious when it comes to this...where as alot of companies won't help out the mod community when it comes to this stuff.

Just my 2 cents!!
Jaster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC
Janes USAF is good fun, great graphics, reasonable learning curve, multi aircraft and mission types! It also seems to have an active and productive user community that are dedicated to improving the basic game.

Now for sheer fun, although it can be REAL frustrating, try one of teh Online MMP (Massive Multi-Player) sims like Aces High or Warbirds. Both are WWII sims, but are VERY good. Way too much info to go into here, but a real blast!

Jim/ Jaster
 _GOTOTOP