_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Tamiya Fw190A3
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC

I have my fingers crossed that I have the photo upload part figured out. Any way this is the first kit I have finished after a 9 year hiatus from modelling. I started this back in 2000 and didn't get any further than the cockpit, which inexplicably I painted some strange color, likely field gray. I was sure I knew better back then, maybe impatient or broke, but I left it alone as I didn't think this would turn out this well. Only added items were some etch belts form a dragon kit and true details wheels. Alot of firsts for me in this model and it is 10 times better than the last kit I finished.

mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 09:02 AM UTC
Whew!
That worked so here are some more.

There are some minor details to touch up. I used a prismacolor silver pencil to decent effect on the cowling and tops of the wings, but not so well on the wing leading edges and prop, so it will need a little chippng with some paint. I am in the paintig phase on the tamiya kubelwagen and pilot kit and hopefully combine them for a small simple diorama.
Grip84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
That looks great Mike. Keep at it and don't wait another 9 years to finish the next one. Super.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks great Mike. Keep at it and don't wait another 9 years to finish the next one. Super.

Fear Not, more is on the way. I have a StuG IV, another that I started way back when and doing for an armorama campaign. Next on deck for aircraft is a 1/48 hasegawa Ki-61 which I will be attempting BMF.
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC
Nice build - like the camo
Moonchild
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 06:12 AM UTC
Nice FW, I have the same one too. But I thing you should paint black line at exhausts. You can see that here.

Hope you know what I mean.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Anze

Wrong bird, but nice photo .. just finished it a few weeks ago. it is Mayers A-4 with the external supercharger intakes. (The pic is nice .. what is the source?)

BTW ... very nice model Mike!!!

all the best

Steffen
P.S. just had a look in the Assi Hahn bio by Jerry Crandell and the Fw 190 A-3 can also have the Adlerflügel but not necassarily has to .. also found another photo of my bird that is heavily camouflaged on the fuselage ... strange
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hey there, really nice aircraft. Here is a picture of mine an FW-190 A-3, in 1/72 scale. The Tamiya kit. I think the markings on the side of the fuselage may be wrong with the open iron crosses. That is the markings that came with the kit though.

Again, your's is a beauty. Really enjoyed looking at it. Hope to see more of your work. Russell

mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
thanks for the comments guys, I didn't have many photo references to work off of, but did have a couple color profiles, enough to get me to attempt to correct the kill mark on the tail and make kills 4,5 and 6 french, though I had a conflicting plate claiming they were 5,6, and 7. But like I said I didn't go all out because I didn't think it would turn out this good, there are a few things that could be better, like a couple spots were seams could be cleaner. The fuselage camo is heavier than I had wanted and I messed up the attitude of the rooster on the cowl.

Anze, very nice photo of the power unit in use, someone has a kit of this I would like to use someday. Did they need to use the power unit every time they started the aircraft?

Steffen, Nice job on Mayers' bird! I need to work on manipulating ailerons, rudder flaps etc, it adds alot.

Russel great job, and on a small scale, one day I will try it, takes up much less room.
Moonchild
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 09:36 AM UTC
Well I thought it is the same aircraft, sorry. The photo is from the Lotnicze 4, Jg2 "Richthofen" 1942-1943.
Mike, may I ask you for some color profiles? Thanks
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 12:42 PM UTC
Anze,
I would email you some if I had them in the computer, but I have this book in my reference collection. It may have flaws I am unaware of, but I have enjoyed it alot. There is a 2nd book with more profiles but I don't have it yet.
Here is a link to it on the US amazon sight

http://www.amazon.com/Luftwaffe-Fighter-Aircraft-Profile-Schiffer/dp/0764302914/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi Mike

Lovely work on the camouflage and overall finish.

All the best

Rowan
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 05:02 PM UTC
Well I said I would try to incorporate this model in a simple diorama. So I picked up the tamiya 1:48 Kubelwagen kit, with the pilot briefing figures. I got those pretty much finished. The figures need a flat coat, and the kubel needs a couple final touches and then some pigments. The base itself is finished, just need to get the ball rolling on the groundwork, I'll spare further progress and post again when it is done.

This post was removed.
 _GOTOTOP