Hosted by Rowan Baylis
!/32 Mig 3
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hello. Just started Trumpeters 1/32 scale Mig 3. Basically built out of the box except for some belts that were made from Verlinden lead foil. The holes were punched using a punch and dye set. I didn't want to spend a lot of money buying a detail set just to get belts, so I went with the lead foil. A hole was made in the seat back and trimmed to shape to allow the belts to come through. The cushion on the seat and the head rest were painted black and dry brushed with raw umber artist oil paint to simulate leather. The wheels and tires are dry fitted for now as is the prop and spinner. The tires, spinner and prop blades have to be weathered.I'm going to go with black and green on the topside with light blue underneath. I'll be using the kit decals.Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi Michael

This should be a beauty when it's done! I haven't seen one of these for a few years.

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan. It's been a long time since I built a 1/32 scale model. The fuselage halves will be going together today. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hello. Just a short update.The fuselage halves are together and the seams sanded smooth. I decided to attach the top half of the wings to the fuselage first. The fit of the wing root is very good. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
Looking slick. Your seat belt solution looks great and it always great to save some money and still achieve a great result. The oleo strut boot is a nice touch.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hi Bryan. Thanks. The map on the seat is a paper product from Verlinden. The oleo covers are a detail provided in the kit. This kit has some very nice detail right out of the box. The only "major" flaw I found so far is the NASTY ejector pin marks on the inside of the gear doors, I'm in the process of trying to get rid of them as best as possible. Next up is applying the paint. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hello. Here's a quick update. The clear parts have been dipped in Future and let to dry for a couple days and then masked with Bare Metal Foil. The windscreen and the rear fixed canopy have been attached prior to painting. There is a very small gap where the left side of the windscreen meets the fuselage. That will be filled and some additional masking will be done, the entire plane will be wiped down with rubbing alcohol and painting will proceed. thanks for looking, Wingman out.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi Wingman, I have looked back over this thread a few times and wondered where you had gone ?? This is looking really good so far, keep the updates coming PLEASE !!

Cheers, D
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Michael

It's looking great. The fit at the wing roots is very impressive. I really must try the foil method for masking canopies - I'm sure I've got some somewhere - you make it look a lot less hassle than the way I do things with tape.

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Damian. Thanks for the kind words. It takes me awhile to complete a build, if I don't feel like working on the build, I don't force myself to work on it. I give BIG kudos to those who have to complete builds for deadlines and such, not only does the build have to be done very well, it has to be done ON TIME. Preshading will be shot first and then the camo scheme, which will be a light blue, black and dark green. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:54 AM UTC
Hey Rowan. Thanks. The clear parts fit well also except for that very small gap on the left side where the windscreen meets the fuselage. Verlinden books got me into using the Bare Metal Foil mehtod. Even after all the years of doing it, I still get nervous putting that brand new #11 blade on the clear part. When you burnish the foil down really tight against the clear part, if the canopy braces are raised nicely as they are on a 1/32 build, it's pretty easy to follow along the brace to trim the foil. The most important thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME. Thanks for looking Rowan, Wingman out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi Michael
Looking really good, what scheme are you planning for this? If your interested I can do you Soviet Star masks at a really good price, little more than the price of postage PM me and we can discuss it. No problem if you don't want masks just letting you know that I'm here
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi Mal, thanks. I'm going with a dark green, black and light blue scheme on this build. I saw a nice scheme over on Hyperscale that I took an interest in. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hello again. Here's another quick update. All the panel lines have been preshaded with black. Light blue will be going on the underside next. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:56 AM UTC
Looks very nice!

Keep going!

Did you use any detail sets??

Cheers Nick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:37 AM UTC
Looks great Wingman ! Nice clean painting in the cockpit and with the smaller parts .

Nick , if you read the whole post from the beginning , Wingman said that this is out of the box . No deatiling sets .
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC
Ok, sorry

Cheers Nick
Moonchild
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 02:00 AM UTC
Nice clean build, I really like it.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hi Nick, thanks. Nope, no detail sets. The belts are from Verlinden Lead Foil with holes punched in. The detail is very nice in this kit. Something I forgot to metion, I didn't use the metal parts that let you move the flaps and such. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi Terri. Thanks. The parts were masked with Tamiya Tape and painted. Masking can be a pain but it's worth it in the end. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi Anze. Thank you. The light blue will be going on today on the undersides of the plane and the other parts. Masking will be done with the mask up off the surface just a bit to give a somewhat soft edge. Thanks for following along, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hello. ModelMaster RLM 78 has been applied to all undersides of the plane and it's parts. It's kind of hard to see the preshaded panel lines in the photos. The green will go on next which is actually ModelMaster Interior Green. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC
This is looking really nice Wingman. It's great to see some good progress shots of uncommon subjects as well, just in case I stumble across one at the right price sometime.

Keep the shots coming, very impressive work indeed !!

Cheers, D
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 05:30 PM UTC
Thanks Damian. I really like the aggressive look of this aircraft. I've noticed a seam that needs to be filled where the intake meets the underside of the plane. I think I might try some white glue for this then I'll apply the Interior Green next. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hello. I need some help. I decided to add the rockets to this build and I need to know what color the rockets were. Were they all black or black with red noses? Maybe they were a Russian Green? Just guessing. I did a search and couldn't find anything. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP