_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Airbrush Newbie
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hello Everyone, I have just registered on this site & have only just got back Into the Aviation Modelling. I am now taking the plunge Into airbrushing. What I need to know Is can I get an Airbrushing kit which will have the airbrush & all that comes with It & a decent compressor for around £60. I have seen some on Ebay. I have put in a link but you might have to type it in your address bar, im a newbie & havent sussed things out yet. sorry.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140366658492&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The kit looks ok & the model of the compressor is a gs model no AS18~1.

I would appreciate your help as I have a B-17 Memphis Belle (1:48) to start soon.

Sean..
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hi there Sean, Russell here from the United States. Thought I would give you some of my experience and see what you think.

I really, really like the Aztek line of airbrushes by Testors. I recommend the double action variety which allows you to control the amount of air when you press down and the amount of paint when you pull the trigger backward.

Here in the U.S. the model I am thinking of sells for around 90 dollars. It is well worth it since it is an easy airbrush to use and and easy one to clean. The Aztek has screw in screw out nozzle heads, the only drawback is eventually you have to replace the heads because they wear out from cleaning. That costs about 11 dollars, U.S. per head.

I recommend just about any good compressor to use with the airbrush. I use a Badger Whirlwind II compressor, model 80-2. It works just fine giving me the twenty five pounds or so of pressure I need for spraying about anything. It is a relatively quiet compressor as well. I think I got it for about 125 dollars U.S. six years ago.

I don't know if these are in your price range, but it would be well worth your while to save up and get some good products in order to have a good model building experience. Hope this helps you out some. Any questions, just ask. Best of luck. Russell
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi Sean

That package does look pretty similar to what's available at: Airbrush Pro. The only thing that worries me in your ad is that it's described as "used" - and I have known one guy that tried to sell me an "almost new" aibrush that he'd totally trashed through mis-use. So I'd be prepared to spend a little bit more for the guarantee...

You can read my Review of a slightly more expensive setup from Airbrush Pro HERE. By looking at the other items in their range, you can get close to your £60 target.

I have to say though, that the best low cost airbrush I've tried to date is the G-35. The Airbrush Company Ltd. are selling it at a discounted price and it really is a bargain!

All the best

Rowan
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies, Its been very helpful. Also thanks Rowan for your link to your review of the setup, which looks ok for me. When looking on Airbrush Pro's website I found this start-up kit (Compressor AS186 + Airhose BD-24 & Airbrush BD-133 Kit) for just over £100, also apart from the kit I have added above, will I need anything to get me on my way or will I be able to start airbrushing my models from this kit. Would this be an Ideal kit for me to start with, I will be using It for scale 1:48 aircraft mainly. I have a B-17 Memphis Belle that Im desperate to start. Before seeing the vast array of Airbrushes/Compressors, I did purchase a Revell Airbrush starter set which work on the cans, but have since found out I would be best buying a compressor, so Im going to take the plunge. I value your thoughts.

Regards.
Sean..
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When looking on Airbrush Pro's website I found this start-up kit (Compressor AS186 + Airhose BD-24 & Airbrush BD-133 Kit) for just over £100, also apart from the kit I have added above, will I need anything to get me on my way or will I be able to start airbrushing my models from this kit.

Hi Sean

I don't personally have any experience with the equipment brand discussed here, but Rowan apparently thinks it's pretty good, and he definitely knows more than me. After looking at their site I will suggest this, though: if I were you, I would go with one of the gravity feed airbrushes (maybe the BD-130 or the BD-132) rather than the siphon feed BD-133 you're looking at. Actually, it looks like the BD-133 and the 132 are pretty much the same airbrush except for the paint cup, which is a siphon side feed on the 133 and a gravity side feed on the 132. Airbrushes essentially depend on suction (Bernoulli's principle) to feed the paint into the airstream leaving the nozzle, and a suction feed has to work against gravity. They're fine for some applications, but they give you less flexibility in varying your air pressure for, say, spraying small detail or mottling. The compressor looks like it should work fine--it has a reserve tank and that's a must-have (or at least a should-have). If it comes with the hose, you shouldn't need anything else to get started, but you may as well go ahead and order a spare needle and tip to avoid downtime in the event of bending one. You may end up having to add a moisture trap in your line at some point if it doesn't come with one. I would also suggest getting some of those little interdental brushes to use for cleaning the AB--they're invaluable for this task.

HTH

Automaton
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 03:32 AM UTC
hi automaton. the kit im looking at has in fact a bd-132 airbrush.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370268372610&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the link above includes a AS18 compressor & 2 double action airbrushes (bd-128 & bd-132 with gravity feed side cup), connector hose, so will this kit be fine for me as a starter setup. I hope so because im going to buy it if it is, I would also appreciate it, if you can point me in the right direction for other bits & bobs, like cleaning kit & other bits for the airbrushes, you said something about if i bend the needle, what sizes will i need. Forgive me if i sound dumb, its just a mind field for me at the moment & if it wasnt for you guys I woulod be lost.

Regards.

Sean..
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hi Guys, thanks for your help & advice. I will be going for the AS18 compressor airbrush kit, which includes the BD-128 & BD-132 Airbrushes & connector hose. So I need to get some practice In. I do have one of those airbrush/compressor cans on Its way, so I can practice with that first to get used to airbrushing. Theres one more thing thats bugging me, when airbrushing would it be best to put the model inside a kind of mini studio (big box or something) & would a mask be a must have-on.

Sean..
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
The kit you're looking at now on ebay has the compressor without air tank--if you can financially justify it, I really think you'd be better off getting the kit with the 186 compressor--not absolutely indispensible, but preferable.

As for parts, airbrush pro has a page on their site called "needles, nozzles, and parts". If you order needles and nozzles, just be sure they are for the particular airbrush model you end up selecting. I always try to have a spare needle and nozzle on hand for any airbrush I'm using. I've been airbrushing since the mid '70s, but I still occasionally damage a needle, and when you're just starting out it's almost inevitible. And, needles/nozzles don't last forever even if you don't do something wrong--they eventually just wear out. It's very frustrating to be in the middle of a project and have to wait for a parts order to come in before you can resume.

I personally don't have any specialized airbrush cleaning tools, I just use a cheap childrens' art paintbrush and interdental brushes. As for where to spray, yes, a box can help to contain overspray (though if you decide to stay in the hobby longterm, you'll sooner or later want to make or purchase a spraybooth). If you're going to spray with solvent based paints, definitely use a good respirator and spray in a well-ventilated area. Water based acrylic paints are less toxic, but it's still a good idea to use a respirator for safety.

While you're getting used to airbrushing, practice on an old model or some scrap plastic before trying to spray your actual project. Don't practice on paper or anything else porous, as the dynamics of spraying on porous and nonporous surfaces are completely different, and you won't learn much that way. Read the instructions that come with the ab before starting so you understand how to clean it--it's much easier to keep an airbrush clean than to unclog one that's been clogged up with dried paint.

Hope this rambling post helps you get off to a good start, and remember, it's going to take some practice and patience go get the hang of it.

HTH

automaton
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
hi, does it really matter without the airtank and/or whats the advantages of a airtank. have i dropped a b*****k buying this automaton, i really hope not. Can i airbrush with the kit i have bought without the need for anything else.

Regards.
Sean (FLAKATTAK)
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can i airbrush with the kit i have bought without the need for anything else.

yes Sean you sure can & you'll get brilliant results I'm sure. Some great advice there from automaton but really no need to go overboard on spares and cleaning gear when starting out. You won't really need an air tank either if working in the smaller scales. Gravity feed is best as automaton says, you tend to use far more paint with a suction feed since you need a certain level to cover the bottom of the suction tube..A can of PremiAir liquid reamer for around a fiver is all you need for cleaning..just squirt it in and spray through..brilliant stuff

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Premi-Air-Liquid-Reamer-Airbush-Cleaner-150ml-Aerosol_W0QQitemZ290378575427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item439be96e43

No one has mentioned paints - stick to enamels when starting out (Humbrol is fine suitably thinned), forget acrylics as they can dry too quickly and clog..
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
HI Neil, Thanks thats a weight off my mind, I will only be doing models of scale 1:48 or smaller, so I will be ok with what I have, also i have seen that you need to use airbrush paint & thinners & to get it like a milky consistency, would i be better buying the paint already mixed, this is what im thinking of doing. Going back to the air tank, is the air tank an advantage for spraying bigger things?

thankyou.
sean.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:51 AM UTC
..as automaton says, in the long run a tank is preferable but your compressor will function perfectly for what you want to do with it..
no need to buy pre-thinned paint, just get a medium-sized brush, dip into your Humbrol paint pot (stirred) and transfer to airbrush paint cup, adding thinners as required in the same way..with a gravity feed you really only need small quantities of paint to start spraying and nothing gets wasted.....works for me, others no doubt have different methods....
..the only thing to worry about now is using the brush - with dual action, the golden rule is 'air on' (depress the trigger), 'paint on' (pull the trigger back, gently does it, the further you pull it back the more paint is delivered..) ..
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
Rightio Neil, Ive got ya. Are Dual action airbrushes better or would a single action be better. The kit I have just bought has 2 dual action airbrushes, which I think are BD-128 & BD-132 & are gravity feed. Also with the compressor I have (AS18), will I be able to add a tank at a later date or will I need to get a complete new tank. The guy who I have bought the kit from does have another kit with the tank for an extra £23, so Im in two minds as to contact him for the tank one. Please forgive me with asking you & everyone else everything under the sun, Im a complete novice & need all the help I can get.

Regards.
Sean.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hi Sean
I use the kit you have bought, the compressor is excellent and does not need a tank. (the tank normally provides a resevoir of air between compressor and brush to reduce pressure fluctuations). I started with a 7cc overhead fixed cup double action brush and .3mm nozzle then added a 2cc overhead fixed cup .2mm nozzle DA brush using the same compressor, just fit which ever looks best for the job. I spray Tamiya acrylics thinned 2:1 with water (works fine). Vallejo ModelAir paints work fine straight out of the bottle and cover many colours the Tamiya don't. Alclad laquer and Klear both spray straight out of the container. Cleaning, as the man says, brushes, I use cotton buds, ethyl alcohol, water is all that is needed. I have tried Single action brushes and don't like them. Practice first using ink on paper then try paint on a model that doesn't matter. I much prefer airbrushing now.

FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
cheers Andrew, My kit should be here within 2-3 days & I cant wait to have a go with it. Ive also bough a can of premi air liquid reamer for cleaning, As for paint I am going to buy it already mixed to start & then when im more into will mix my own. I have a brick built outhouse in the garden to use as a spray den. If I can ask you Andrew, In the instructions that will come with the airbrushes, will It say the sizes of the nozzles & needles, for when i need to buy replacements. I bet It takes some practice using dual-action airbrushes as well. When it comes to the compressor, will It take care of itself when in use or will I need to set it & whats the setting to use when spraying a 1:48 scale..

Thankyou.
Sean. (FLAKATTAK)
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hi Sean
The compressor pressure setting is variable, I use 10 - 20 psi mostly and that usually works fine. Less is better than more. My first one was fitted with .3mm needles and nozzles, you can order any size so long as you match needle and nozzle size. Using acrylics cleaning is easy and usually a wash in warm water and spray with a finger over the nozzle will back wash paint into the cup for a change of colour. Clean it thouroughly at the end of a session. Don't let paint dry on the nozzle, if you're not using it, wash it.
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi Sean, I didn't see your pm until this morning--check your inbox.

Have a good weekend;

Automaton
 _GOTOTOP