_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Pitts Special S2A - 1/48 AZmodel
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi all

I did not really know where to put this, so it ended up in General Aircraft .. hope this is o.k. with the PTB.

(Click img above for German review)

So I got this model a few days ago and while reviewing it for my site I also started to do a little testfitting. All in all this is a pretty basic kit and it is short run in many ways .. e.g. I do not really have an Idea where I should have glued the wings ... I guesstimated it using the markings profiles on the backside of the box. It was a bit tricky to install the interior stuff and there will be more adjustments to do. I also rescribed some of the panel lines ... this is how it looks now:

i won't finish it this year as I only have 4 days left for modelling, but it will hopefully not be as hard as the SUE/SEM ...

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

It seems as good a home as any. I'm looking forward to seeing how this little cracker goes together.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hello Rowan

Well, as I wrote, this is a short run kit. Do not expect a quality like the recent MPM Spit Vc .. it is not bad either ..

here is a pic with the dashes and seat belts in place .. you will not see much of that stuff, so I do not care too much. BTW As I found no German plane in this canopy config I will do the blue a/c.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:02 PM UTC
Some more progress

I glued the fuselage halves yesterday and let them dry over night. I filed and sanded the seam but I still need a bit of filler (it looks pretty much because I did not want to find out later that I have missed a spot ... which might occur anyway.

Then I attached the engine (the overhang is intentional and correct) and the rudder. I also searched my wallet for a better size comparison and really still there was something left ... some more Eurocent but thats it for the month .. good I won't have to take care of food at Christmas

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice progress. I must admit I like the blue colour scheme - if only because it's inviting someone to say you've put some of the decals on upside-down.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, I would have preferred a nice German markings option, but I'll go with the Blue Belgian Bird. I hope I manage to get the "Mistress" markings one day (one or another way).

a little more progress yesterday... somehow AZ managed to provide wrong interplane struts .. all drawings and the boxart in the kit show symmetrical (roughly) struts, but the plastic parts are shorter on one end:

Well I just lengthend the parts a bit, but there is still a lot of fiddely adjustment necessary...

I think I will have to defer further progress into next year

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

I see what you mean about the struts - without the modification they don't match any photos I've found of them. I'm not too sure about the slightly dimpled effect along the fuselage on the panel line either - it looks a smooth curve in the photos of full sized aircraft I've looked at.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:23 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

I agree, but I try to keep this pretty much OOB with only "necessary" modifications. The "bulge" is "hidden" by the upper wing so I won't reshape the fuselage, but I might do if I would build another one.

The wing struts do not match the length of the fuselage struts, which I will use as a guide...

BTW I spent more time on airliners.net in the past days than in say 5 years before.

All in all I somehow expected this to be a very short run kit, so this does not (bleeeeeeep) like the SUE but hey, I am still at the beginning.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 08:37 PM UTC
It's blue ....

and glossy

so today it is time for some decals .. too bad I think it could be finished in a 2 or 3 more days, but today is the last before I go on Christmas vacation (have to pack my stuff tomorrow) - sadly I cannot take the whole "workshop" with me ..

all the best

Steffen
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:14 PM UTC
I just want to say I'm watching
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:44 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Neat. While it may seem frustrating not to be able to finish it before you leave, the way to look at is that it'll be a nice one to come back to after Christmas to get you ready for the next project. And, of course, the extra few days will give the decals plenty of time to dry.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Thanks for watching Michal and Rowan

@Rowan: bad thing is that I have to build when I am in the mood/flow. I bet I dont want to proceed next year because I find something I do not like about the kit .. but there is no way I can finish it now.

here is some more WIP still need to touch up a lot and seal it all before attaching the upper wing.....

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 08:56 PM UTC
Last update for this year.

I proceeded quite well yesterday, but of course there was no chance to make it (have to spray the pattern on the upper wing as AZ provided blue decals for that one instead of white) Which gives me a little time to smooth out the wire attachments ..

I will still watch this place so if you have questions or comments please feel free to leave them here

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Good going. I've never tried the classic "drill right through the wing" method of attaching rigging - mainly because I've always been worried that the marks would show, no matter how carefully I repaired them. I will have pluck up the courage and give it a go one day.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, for me this seems the only way to get enough tension on the "invisible thread" to get it straight. I do not trust in heating anything near my model and I also do not understand how the WW1 gurus cope with that glued in wire turnbuckles.

I have a friend that glues stretched wire in but for my taste this is much too thick (especially on such small models) and exactly measuring the distances and cutting precisely to a tenth of a mm is also not very easy...

Honestly I do not care too much if this will turn out 100% .. thats the refreshing part of this project. Guess it will be kind of a model show sod. Easy to transport and a very different model, but very few will have a close-up look ...

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:17 AM UTC
Hi gang

Apologies for bummping this, but I do not want it to fall tooo faar backwards, as it is quite a feat to find the old stuff again when I am proceeding .. I should start looking for the Eduard Bf 110E BLog I want to finish that one early next year because it is already very complete ...

merry christmas

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hello again

still finishing older things (hopefully) and as I've had enough of paonting stripes to rockets I resumed this one..... I worked on this thing from time to time but did not post photos as the progress was minimal.

After the pic above I filled sanded the areas where the wires poke through. Then I masked and sprayed the upper wing white... found the filling sanding insufficient and did the whole routine again. Today I added the decals from the kit which are (as mentioned earlier) in a different shade of blue (I mixed mine according to pix of the real thing).

Now I will used the decal as a guide for masking and airbrushing. Some of you may find this ridiculuos, but I am better in attaching decals half way symmetrical than masking symmetrical ....

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice to see our old friend underway again. I'd forgotten that you didn't finish it when you got home after Christmas / New Year.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 03:45 AM UTC
Finally more "progress" on this looooong forgotten friend...

as I prepare some airbruhing an it is not really nice weather to do anything I finally masked the upperwing deco to adjust it to my blue colour (the lower side also needs some re-painting due to the wires). As a reminder: AZ model decided to provide all decoration as white decals, except for top side of the upper wing

"Problem" is that the whole model needs to be protected .. read masked. I did that already once for the white so I am not eager to do it again...

all the best

Steffen

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
Now come I hadn't replied before, I thought I had...
But anyway, I've been keeping an eye on this build and it's coming nicely. I've always liked these racing planes. Perhaps I should try one myself too.

Regarding the masking, how anout cling film (aka plastic wrap)?
Put down masking tape around the upper wing's lower surface, leaving it hanging over the edge, then wrap the rest in cling film.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

Well I lost a bit of focus on this one due to several circumstances. Guess I will get it done soon. Thanks for the hint, but paint is on the kit now

I find this one even cooler .. and I need to find East German markings for it (or maybe I try printing for the first time) ... but it is not on schedule right now .. alot more projects before it.

all the best

Steffen

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi agian

so it is coming together:

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
Here is another small update.

There would be a lot of ssmall parts to add to bring it near the original thing, but the kit does not contain these and i do not feel like scratch building aero-dynamic counter balances for the ailerons and the like. Also the markings are wrong when compared to the pix I found online ("Arsene" below the pit is missing and the lhs (seen from pilots perspective) marking under the wing should not be "WEBA" but a large white "OO-NUE"

The prop is almost ready (just have to add the decals) so I hope I can call it done in a few days....

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 09:36 PM UTC
Just a few more bits and it is complete ...

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi all

I bought a new background today as the blue does not really work with the light blue model. Still the pictures do look much lighter than the model (but it fits the real thing nonetheless):

Still I want to add two "sticks" that keep the wires together (and will put some focus on them) I will leave out the aerodynamical counter balances for the ailerons and the elevator linkages (there were no PE parts included for those and I do not feel like scratch building them).

Comments welcome .. and no I still do not have giant cents

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP