_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
1:48 Fokker Eindecker Dual Combo
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC

Once again Eduard have released an excellent Limited Edition Dual Combo kit, this time of the Fokker E.I/II Eindecker. The kit is in 1:48 scale and includes some very interesting items. It also represents a very nice Historical package.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:10 AM UTC
Very nice review Jean -Luc !

Thanks for sharing
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
Nice one Jean-Luc!

It looks a very tasty package indeed!

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
I already have mine. It is great.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
Nice review Jean-Luc with one tiny niggle, could you please include the scale in the title, I had to read the entire review before I found a clue as to whether I would build it (I would). The more Eduard kits I build the better I like them, and this is a subject I would really go for, provided it was in 1/48 scale
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice review Jean-Luc with one tiny niggle, could you please include the scale in the title, I had to read the entire review before I found a clue as to whether I would build it (I would). The more Eduard kits I build the better I like them, and this is a subject I would really go for, provided it was in 1/48 scale

Sorry Andrew. Its the general policy that we let the description box at the bottom note the scale.

Nicely Done Jean - Luc! Very decent review and I would agree on the rating. Looks like an early aviation über kit! A true combo as it provides everything for two complete kits.
Rangefinder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 05:38 PM UTC
Having built most of this kit I must say that my example, at least, is not up to Eduard's usual standards. I have three Eindecker III builds in 1/72 and one E-IV, all from Eduard. One of my built EIII builds has won a number of awards in local shows. This is to the point that I love the airplane and waited years for Eduard to release this kit in 1/48. I bought one immediately. Unfortunately, the quality of the casting on my example is very poor. The fuselage halves do not come together, top and bottom, flat. The cross section is more like a very shallow "v" that has to be filled. It's large and deep enough that putty is required. The really bad thing here is that the work that must be done on the top and bottom of the fuselage completely destroys the delicate impressions of the internal framing pressing into the fabric covering. In fact, the top of the fuselage right behind the gas tank cover was so bad I had to cover it with thin styrene sheet. All in all, the fuselage is now ruined in that it never will have the same level of detail and smoothness as it was intended.

I had been on the verge of buying the Dual Combo kit but unless I determine that I got a bad example in my box, I will have to think long and hard before buying another 1/48 Eindecker from Eduard. And, that's a shame because this is one of the top models I want in my collection.

Rangefinder
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
Greetings Scott what you have discovered is the malformation that takes place when sprue molded at right angles is pushed from the mold too soon. The method to fix this must be done before any prep work on the kit is undertaken. After finding the problem areas by dry fiting the fuselage halves, take one of the fuselage halves (the most offensive) using both hands. Your thumbs on the outside surfaces, your finger tips on the inside the piece. Next flex the top and bottom (half)sections to line up the mismated edges. Do not over flex the piece. Dry fit and check as you go.

The old DML / Dragon 1:48 Fokker Dr.I and D.VII exhibited this misalignment issues. Especially the post Hong Kong reunification examples. From the mold these edges were supposed to line up. But as mentioned pushing the sprue out too early tends to create this problem. There are other causes but this is the most common.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hi Scott,

Sorry for the late reply. I will check my sample and do some test fitings. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. If I forget, please remind me...

Jean-Luc
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
I just checked mine out. It looks like it will join up fine on my example.

Scott, I would love to see some pictures of your builds.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Carl

Glad to know your kit is OK. I'll be interested to see what Jean-Luc's is like.

Another trick for overcoming this problem, if it does occur, is to insert some rectangular bulkheads to maintain the correct cross-section. You can usually obviate the need for too much filler and so preserve the moulded detail.

All the best

Rowan
Rangefinder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:01 PM UTC
Stephen, thanks for the tip. I am obviously too far along to try this, or the "bulkhead" idea also suggested. Wish I'd known or thought of this before. If I'd dry fit the halves and inspected it closely, I might have.

I'm going to take a look at a friend's kit. He hasn't started it, and see what his looks like. I might get in touch with Eduard on this. Probably a good QC feedback.

Someone asked to see some of my builds. You can here at my web site: web.mac.com/eindecker/

Thanks, all.

Michael
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hi Scott,

I haven't had the time to test fit the parts on my sample but will do over the weekend...

Jean-Luc
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 07:49 PM UTC
Just bringing this up for Jean - Luc and some inspirational modeling in 1:1 by Herrn Achim Engels.

_GOTOTOP