_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
RIP....my disaster
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi all,
Was putting my aircraft collection in my new cabinet a while ago and one of the glass shelves dropped. Most of my aircraft that I've built over the last 5 years were completely destroyed. Here are a few pic's of the disaster. Hope 2010 is a better year.

I'm sick. All that money and hard work. This really stinks.

Hermon
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hermon I dont know what to say.
That is just a nightmare.
I hope when the dust has settled and youve had time to evaluate each aircraft seperately you'll be able to salvage as many of them as possible.
Nige
medicman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:39 AM UTC
Iam very sorry for your loss,really heartfelt sorrow. I allmost cried and they are not mine.Hope all is well in the new year bro.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC
Oh my God!!!!!!

I'll say it again

Oh my God!!!!!!

How many models destroyed!!!!???

All that money

All that happines for plastic modelling

And as Rick says I almost to cried!!!!!

The worst disaster I've ever seen

Merry Christmas & a Happy new year....

Cheers Nick
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hermon my man, I am devastated. I don't know what to say. I know that I am over 2500km away but I feel your pain mate.

Chin up, you have our support and friendship, have a beer and sit for a bit.

Cheers, D
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:09 PM UTC
All I can say Hermon is I'm sorry. It is like a death in the family and to someone who dosen't put the time and effort and even love into building model aircraft they just don't know what one feels in such a situation as this.

I sucked in air like a jet engine and exclaimed my god! That's was my reaction when I first saw what had happened. Again I am sorry. Russell

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
Dear Hermon,

I am sick for you, man. I have never had anything like this happen before. An antennae snapped, a gear collapse, props break...but nothing like this.

My heart goes out to you.

Hang tough.

Sincerely,

Fred
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi Hermon

Major disaster!!!!! I have had a few stored 1/72 AFV's shaken in a biscuit box by a visiting parent and was as mad as hell. The quality of your work though I could not compete with and I would be truelly gutted if this was mine.

I hope that once you get the shelves replaced you regain the will to live and refill it. Maybe take the oportunity to do a themed build or stray into realms not yet ventured in the years of modelling so far.

It could be harder to repair the kits you done knowing how hard you worked to build them in the first place. Maybe a clean sweep would let you move on and make the space for much wanted kits out of your stash.

Have a nice big Malt Whisky over the new year and make a resolution one way or another.

Have another on me and look forward to seeing your replacement builds.

Nige
retiredbee2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:41 PM UTC
I had a disaster once or twice but nothing like this. Really sorry to hear about it . hopefully you can piece some of them back together and re -paint without any flaws showing. It is not so much about the money. more so it is about the heart and time that you put into them. I for one, and I think that many of the others are wishing you best of luck for rebulding them................this too shall pass...........Al.........and remember the quote from Shultz.....When you think that today is the end of the world, it is already tomorrow in Austrailia.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.....When you think that today is the end of the world, it is already tomorrow in Austrailia.

And I'm already having a bourbon to calm my shaking hands in your honour Hermon.
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC
Wow Hermon ..what a loss. This has to be any builders worst nightmare come true. I truely hope that you manage to salvage most of those kits. Good luck and for what its worth Happy New Year.

Hermann
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
Well, life goes on. I've sorted through all the stuff.......looks like I may be able to salvage about 6 airplanes out of 32 total. I'll get some parts off of some of them to use on other projects but for the most part 26 aircraft are a total loss.

I really, really, really appreciate all the kind words and support from all you guys. It's been a tought couple of months. First my little dog Max was killed, now this. Well, like they say, if it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger in the end.
Again, thanks for the kind words, all of you.

Hermon
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:01 PM UTC
That's sad, very sad to see that happen to anyone.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:29 PM UTC
That is a truly wretched event,Herman. The Horror! Go to the store and get the BIG bottle of single malt scotch. It has the most healing powers.........
God! 26 combat losses on the ground. Lads never had a chance....
Rick
jhoog59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:42 PM UTC
OUCH!!! That hurt. I hope at least some of them can be fixed. A similar thing happened to me when I moved Not many made it out unscathed. I really feel your pain on this one.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

my little dog Max was killed

Killed??!!

How??

Cheers Nick
Tango-India-Mike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 08:15 PM UTC
Oh no, what a rotten thing to happen! I'm very sorry about Max too. I don't know what happened to him, of course, but I'm always upset by terrible things happening to innocent animals (and people).

The mass destruction of such beautiful models is very dispiriting, but whenever such things happen to me I try to remind myself that they are only material objects that can be replaced, and that there are millions of people in less fortunate parts of the world who face genuine hardship every day. Here in my part of the world there are 37 families who have just lost EVERYTHING in devastating bushfires...their homes and all their possessions, but fortunately not their lives. Little consolation to you, I know, but such events make a few broken plastic models mean nothing at all in comparison.

Let us enjoy our plastic models by all means, but also let us not forget how fortunate we are to be ABLE to indulge in such trivial pursuits...and, at the threshold of a new year, let's all strive to make it a good one for EVERYBODY.

Best wishes,

Tim.
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 08:28 PM UTC
Oh no.....!
I feel your pain and this is my worst nightmare, I have a similar cabinet and I live in a seismic area....
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hi Hermon,

Quel désastre! I feel your pain...

At least the Skystreak is saved somehow: Skystreak feature.

I can't encourage the Aeroscale members enough to submit their work for publishing on the site. This way, at least some of the models would remain visible, even after such a disaster. Keep in mind that this site can also represent your virtual display cabinet. I know this won't replace the real models but it's better than nothing.

Hermon, if you have pictures of your destroyed models, I would be very happy to do a Portfolio of them.

I hope this won't happen to you again though and that 2010 will be a better year like you said. I'm also sorry for the loss of Max...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi Hermon

You have my sympathies too. I guess the only positive thing is that you weren't seriosuly injured by the glass. I hope Remax is doing well and making up somewhat for the loss of Max.

I fully agree with Jean-Luc about the value of photo records. I lost most of my collection when packing up to leave London with a similar shelf-disaster and I wish I had photos of the models, some of which dated back 20 years or so. If nothing else, they'd remind me that, once upon a time, I used to actually finish models!

As Tim says, here's to 2010 being a better year for everyone.

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:40 PM UTC
I feel your pain dude...I even don't want to know what were your thoughts when you watched it happening...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:42 PM UTC
Jean-Luc, you are sooo shameless ....

Hermon I feel your pain .. I still remember when I sat on my finished Hetzer dio with Hauler sets and stuff ...

Still I would try to save as many as possible

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc, you are sooo shameless ....

Yes, I know...
bpunchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:42 PM UTC
SHOOT , Hermon that must hurt bad , sorry to see that mess . My son got in my display to " feel the models " and that was a bad day , but my models werent the quality of yours .
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hermon

Horrifying news. I can only echo what all have said before me.

My thoughts are with you and hopefully repairing those that you can will ease the pain. While cost may be a concern it really is at the lower end. Nobody was hurt that is the most important thing - and then when the glass is repaired you will have a nearly vacant "canvas" waiting to be filled.

Mate I hope 2010 is heaps better for you.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP