_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
A Campaign of Firsts
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 06:27 PM UTC
I've had another Campaign idea (surprize surprize), how about a Campaign of Firsts ?

Any aircraft that could be demonstrated to have achieved a First.

The obvious First is the Wright Flyer, but you could do aircraft types (First Supersonic, First Jet, First Flying Boat, First Civilian Jet, First Supersonic Airliner, First to Break 400mph in level flight), or maybe focus on markings (First Ace of WWI, First Jet Ace by Nationality, First Aircraft to fly upside down under Sydney Harbour Bridge)

There would be hundreds of firsts out there, but could we put up a Campaign based on this theme?

Cheers, D
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:07 AM UTC
Kind of like the idea, but unfortunately I'm tied up in more campaigns than I can chew.

Cheers // PolarBear
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC
Interesting idea Damian . But like polarbear I have way to much on the go at the moment .

What time frame are you looking at for this one ?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

Quoted Text

Interesting idea Damian . But like polarbear I have way to much on the go at the moment .

What time frame are you looking at for this one ?

I'm like yourself and Bjorn, over-commited but still struggling along. I think this Campaign theme would involve quite a lot of background work, and with all of the other Campaign starting this year I was thinking maybe early 2011. It was just buzzing around in my head while I was doing some reading so I just had to put it in writing.

Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:47 AM UTC
Early 2011 sounds good D ......I can see myself scrtaching a wrights flyer of some sort
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
sounds good to me, as long it is after most of the currently scheduled campaigns
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi Damian

That's a neat twist. I'd join in if it's for next year.

All the best

Rowan
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
yep i'm up for this as long as it starts in 2011(cant belive were already talking about NEXT year),put me down for the first spitfire.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 07:24 AM UTC
Dam fine idea D
As the others say,I'm full to overflowwing campaigns at the mo,but next year,YEP
I might do an Airfix Hawker Deamon(the 1st aircraft I scared with a tube of glue!!!!!!)
Andy
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I might do an Airfix Hawker Deamon(the 1st aircraft I scared with a tube of glue!!!!!!)
C[ ]

Wow! That's a great take on the campaign idea! To rebuild the first model (or at least the first aircraft) that one ever built! I still remember my first - a Japanese Zero (that's all we called them) in 1/72 that I built some thirtyseven(!) years ago (I was no more than six years old)! I'm pretty sure it was an Airfix or a Matchbox model. I loved the red roundels against the white (that's how we painted them back then, with the multicolored plastic shining through) fuselage.

Perhaps it was this one?

I could definitely go for another "Zero"!!! Would that fit in, or would that be the start of a whole other campaign?

Cheers! // PolarBear
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 11:55 AM UTC
Andy and Bjorn, I think you have just created a new Campaign idea !! It's not quite what I had in mind but it would likely get a lot of interest. The first aircraft kit I ever made was about 30 years ago with my Dad, it was a 1/72nd Short Stirling with a tractor and bomb carts. I'm not sure whether that kit is still around.
Anyhoo, that idea might take on a life of its own !!

Quoted Text

Dam fine idea D
As the others say,I'm full to overflowwing campaigns at the mo,but next year,YEP
Andy

Quoted Text

I could definitely go for another "Zero"!!! Would that fit in, or would that be the start of a whole other campaign?

Cheers, D
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
I like it, I think my first was a Starfire on my own but I remember my Dad and I attempting a Caravelle 1/144 scale and an Auster or maybe a Cub in blue plastic. I think the Starfire is available but I don't remember who made the original. I saw an Airfix Stirling recently, I have fond memories of that kit
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC
First plane me and my dad built together was a 1/48 B-1B.It was so big I thought it could fly and heaved it out of the second story window...... ......It didnt fly....
Id be in D.

Build On,
Justin
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 01:36 AM UTC
The first build I ever made of an aircraft - as I recall - was a BF 109E. The desert version by Matchbox. Beautiful box art - that was probably the main factor in choosing kits at that time.
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC
Great idea for campaign! If I recall correctly, my first one was (matchbox?) F-86 Sabre and it was built over 10 years ago. It has taken some battle damage on the way but I still have it!

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
Damian! That Stirling is still around, it was the Airfix kit you built, and it still includes the bomb tractor.

This thread seems to have developed into a "campaign of firsts" on its own accord so I'll show you mine as well:

This is the Airfix Auster that I got for Christmas in 1982. It is still alive and around, the photo was taken a few years ago.

When it comes to a "real" campaign of firsts, I have collected a few kits of prototype during the years. My MPM Bf-109 V-1 was taken out from the stash yesterday to be scrutinised and is but one of the possibilities!

Magnus
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC
My first aircraft kit was built 30+ years ago and was a F4 Phantom. If memory serves me right the top camo (hand painted) came out pretty good. I was boned on the bottom trying to paint the white. After 15 some odd heavy coats it still never covered properly.

I got another Phantom this Christmas that I was saving for a Group Build on another site
This post was removed.
 _GOTOTOP