_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Two Seater Campaign WNW LVG Mark K.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:15 PM UTC
Okay: I know I said I was going to do the old Aurora Breguet 14, I still might, but I had to break the 'curse' of the WNW SE5, and my girlfriend really wanted to see this LVG to completion: She got it for me as a Christmas Present; so here goes.

Here is the scheme I am going to do it in. I am going to try the dark stain, just to mix it up, as we have seen the light, honey textured stain by many on this forum. According to some of the photo's it seems to indicate a darker stain.

I had seen some work using the SPADA decals wood grain, and the old Aero Scale wood grain, so I thought I would give it a go. This is the starboard fuselage half. I used Aero Scale wood for the forward panels, and shifted the direction, I then highlighted them with Tamiya Clear Yellow and orange. The wood grain towards the rear is the WE32_03 over Tamiya Deck Tan. On some panels I used Clear orange, others I used clear yellow. I thought I would try something different and see if I liked it. As it is the inside it isn't real well seen, and if I didn't like I could always remove it and start over. Personally, I like it. On the middle and other panels where I used the Aero Scale, I overlaid it with W48-05, a real fine grain to give it some depth.

Here the fuselage halves are together and you can see the decal wood grain gives it the effect of different panels. I used the measurement of the outside engraved panel lines and put the decal in the approrpriate spot inside the fuselage. Again I changed the direction of the grain to give it interest.

This is the cockpit tub from the front view. The wood grain here is WE32-003 over a combination of Tamiya Deck Tan as the base, over laid with a mix of Tamiya Clear Orange and Yellow.

From the rear using the same technique

The starborad side showing some of the detail. I painted the seat Model Master Leather and a light green as per the instruction photo, the gas tank is Model Master Brass. I used thin wire for the control cable going to the rear, and EZ line on the rudder pedals.

This has been a fun build up to this point. I am happy with the decals wood grain effect. I ordered more from Mike Taylor at Misterkit USA. There are several grains available and they can be used together for different effects.
Stay tuned for more.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 02:20 PM UTC
Awesome Mark ! I really like the different variations of the wood grain with the decals . Off to a really great start Mark . Looking forward to more progress
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome Mark ! I really like the different variations of the wood grain with the decals . Off to a really great start Mark . Looking forward to more progress

Yes indeed: This is really going smooth. Hopefully, unlike American Chopper where Paulie states everything is going smooth, until ......
Here is the partially completed fuselage with the cockpit tub in place. It is at this juncture that the modeler should ensure the lower wing fits into the openings as the front firewall channel is the guide for the wing spars on the lower wing. As someone mentioned earlier, if they aren't lined up, it will cause strife down the line when putting on the wings. Now is the time to check alignement and ensure a proper fit.

The cabane struts are next. I haven't put them on yet. The directions say to paint them light grey. According to the folks in Belgium they say it is a light grey green. So I mixed up some Testors light ghost gray and Russian topside green. I will use that mix for the interplane struts, landing gear and the engine cowling.

Stay tuned folks, more on the way.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 05:20 PM UTC
It is looking great. That fuselage section can move a bit, so it really is a good idea to make sure the wing spars line up in their cahnnels as you said. It is also a great idea to do a span or two of wing decals at the beginning and end of your modeling sessions to break up the monotony of lozenge-ing the wings.
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 09:05 PM UTC
Very good progress so far, Mark!

Also your girfriend is an : Christmas Present from my wife was a book!

A lesson learned here: the difference bethween a girlfriend and a wife...

ciao
Edo
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A lesson learned here: the difference bethween a girlfriend and a wife...

ciao
Edo

Thanks Edo and Carl, I will break up the lozenge per your recommendation. Edo, I am reminded of the scene in Captain and Commander, where the captain is making a toast: "To our wives and girlfriends; may they never meet"

I will be making more progress on the model tonight with more pics posted. Cabane struts and engine next. Not sure how much I want to detail the engine. I am thinking plug wires at a minimum. I picked up a model car wiring harness the other day at the hobby shop, which I intend to use on this one.

Stay tuned.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 01:28 AM UTC
Alrighty then: I made a little progress last night. Painted the engine block

As the Engine is very prominent on this airplane, I got the idea from seeing others fantastic work on here; to add plug wires. I wasn't going to drill out the plugs but I was having difficulty trying to attach the brass wire to the cast plugs with any success, so I drilled out the plugs, drilled straight through, and using 1/32nd brass tube measuered, I used that as the spark plug as the wire will fit nicely in the hole. The tube isn't tapered like the plug, but I figure the addition of the plug wires will over come the larger appearance of the plug. I was thinking of making the valve springs, but at this stage, I will pass. I have an extra engine with the Encore Albatros D-II and may putz around with that. I also got to use the Moto Dremel tool my Girlfriend also got for me Christmas, yes folks she enjoys the hobby as much as I do!
As there is an extra set of cylinder banks, (apparently WNW was going to add PE at one time) I was able to experiment before committing myself to wanton destruction. This is a first for me, and so far so good. I also wrapped the intake manifold using EZ Line Heavy and then painting it a mixture of Model Master paints (my version of CDL) It turned out alright. I am thinking of painting the middle portion of the cylinders red, representing an up engined engine, just to add a little color to the front end.

I attached the cabane struts, and assembled the upper wing center section to ensure proper algnment and fitment further in the build. I 'set it aside to dry'. I am going to go with my mixture of Light grey green. I like it better than the light grey and as someone stated on one of these forums, you can't be too dogmatic about color, whatever looks good to you.

Right now it almost has the appearance of a Model 'T' truck/airplane.
Thanks to all on this forum for the inspiration to push the 'modeling envelope' and experiement with new techniques.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 01:42 AM UTC
I am also experimenting with sepia pens for the propeller laminations. I got a set of Faber Castillo sepia pens at "Michaels" and have been working on an extra propeller I got with the Roden DRI.
Was it Mark Hamrick who used them or someone on this forum used Sharpies. Well they didn't have sepia sharpies at Michaels, and I didn't want to drive all over so I got these.

I am experimenting with different patterns and using a pen before I try it on the LVG prop.

The pen I am using and the prop:

I am happy with the results, I just need to work on the pattern to look convincingly like a lamination. As posted on the 'Drome' by JAMO, the the majority of the Wolf prop's laminations were not as clearly defined as on the Axial, and the bird I want to do uses a Wolf prop, so I will apply the 'what looks good to me' theory as I progress at that stage.

Thanks to you all for looking and your comments and encouragement.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 01:58 PM UTC
I like it Mark ! Very well done What other colours come in the pack ?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 03:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like it Mark ! Very well done What other colours come in the pack ?

Hi Terri:
The pack is all Sepia. I didn't see vast variety at the Michaels I was at. There was a plethora of other pens in all colors (colours) of the rainbow for those so inclined. I could have spent a lot of time in there browsing and picking up things but I was on a bit of a time table with other stops.
I like it too. They are easy to use, just have to be careful around the prop hub, but otherwise they work pretty good.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 05:03 PM UTC
Thanks Mark ! So the ink doesn't run once it has been clear coated ?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mark ! So the ink doesn't run once it has been clear coated ?

I don't think so Terri: It is a permanent ink, albeit it did bleed a little when I applied the future, but nothing major. Actually it enhanced the grain! I haven't done anything with them this week, this weekend I will be spending some more time on it with pictures ensuing. I did paint the cylinders red, a real pain masking them, but the end result is worth it (I think).
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:16 AM UTC
The important thing here is, "Will she get you another one?"

Looks good. I am happy to see you are trying things.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The important thing here is, "Will she get you another one?"

Looks good. I am happy to see you are trying things.

Thanks Carl: If I ruin this one, the answer will be a resounding no, however, she has been asking me a lot of questions about what other ones I would like to get. I have intimated to her the J.1 is looking more attractive the more I look at it. We shall see.
I will be working on it tonight, I got the fuselage buttoned up, painted with acrylics per the instructions and I am going to take a stab at the wood grain and finish the engine. I will post pics tomorrow. I got a new computer and it won't take the 144mb floppies so I have to post them at work.
L8R
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
Okay, Here are a couple of photo's of the props. One is the Wolf without the laminations, the Axial is not complete but I wanted to get some photo's posted and it was getting late, I am not done with either one, but I am fairly happy with the results so far.

Here is the starboard side of the engine. I used the 'blank' engine block, added my own pushrods and used 1/32nd brass tube for the spark plugs and brass wire for the leads. I used a piece of plastruct for the plugwire harness on this side. This is a first for me, and I am pleased with the results. I just put the end of the brass wire in the tube and viola. I painted the leads Testors Model Master Jet Exhaust. I also used Jet Exhaust to dry brush the rocker arm assembly as well.

Here is the engine head on. It is too bad that WNW didn't give the modeler a series of engine numbers on their otherwise comprehensive decal sheet. That would have been nice.

The portside of the engine. I just sort of buried the plug leads between the cylinders as trying to build a plastic harness would have caused the intake manifolds to stand proud of the engine, and the Almighty knows I didn't want any fit problems. All in all I am pleased with the results. This is the most added detail I have done to a model, I think it will be worth it in the end. I enter things in contests, not to win, but so others can see a model that normally isn't represented at contests.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:57 AM UTC
Mark , excellent addons with the details ! Very nice wrapping done on the pipes as well , they really stand out and draw the viewer in for a closer look .

It is worth the time on adding just a few of the smaller details to give it that little extra something special and to stand out from the rest . I really like the direction you are going with this build , it's shaping up very nicely and I look forward on seeing the finished props which by the way turned out very well with the ink pens

As Stephen would say ....model on !
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:27 AM UTC
Thanks Terri: Right now the fuselage is in the drying mode. I put in a box so the cat hair and dust won't stick to it. I did use oils to highlight the seam lines and put a little grain in. Once dry, I plan on clear coating it, and then applying the Spada wood grain decals. Mike Taylor at Mister Kit USA has a good selection of various grains in different scales, when used together the modeler can achieve a series of wood grain effects. I am beginning to get a little impatient, but as I approach each sub assembly as a model, I don't get bored . Tonight is band practice, tomorrow more modelling, wing assembly, and strut painting.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Carl: If I ruin this one, the answer will be a resounding no, however, she has been asking me a lot of questions about what other ones I would like to get. I have intimated to her the J.1 is looking more attractive the more I look at it.

I have it. Attractive? Well you know what they say about beauty Rest assured, it is a great kit, and I am very very anxious to start it.

It is a kinda good looking aircraft isn't it?

Engine looks great. It is easy to go overboard and try to add too much detail. I think you did exactly what was needed. I do like the red of the high compression engine.

Cat hair? Look at my avatar in the header. That is Ding-a-ling. She provides 1/5 of the cat hair floating around this house.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

It is a kinda good looking aircraft isn't it?

Engine looks great. It is easy to go overboard and try to add too much detail. I think you did exactly what was needed. I do like the red of the high compression engine.

Cat hair? Look at my avatar in the header. That is Ding-a-ling. She provides 1/5 of the cat hair floating around this house.

Thanks Carl: Yes it is and I may just pop for that one, do that as my WNW build and leave the SE5 for a later time. It has a certain 'flair'.
I have two cats, and together they contribute to the air quality of the house and the ubiquitous hair in the paint.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 01:45 PM UTC
Okay: I made considerable progrss today, albeit it doesn't look like much. I used oils to get a wood grain on the already painted fuselage. I then cut out various wood grain pattern decals from the SPADA Wood Grain Series from Mister Kit USA just to see how it turned out. I am pretty happy with it.

The pictures aren't the best, and I don't think they pick up the grain, but it is there. I tried a more pronounced grain and ran it vertical vice horizontal, just to mix it up. It stands out like a sore thumb, but I think when I get the decals on it will be less pronounced.
As you can see, I got a little carried away with the wood grain and applied it to the table.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
The top prop is the Wolf and the bottom is the Axial. I am going to use the Wolf on this aircraft, but did the Axial just in case I change my mind, or for a different aircraft at a later date .

The inks run a bit when applying Future with a Q-tip, but if you sprayed a sealer on it it would be fine, and then it wouldn't run once the sealer is dry. I applied a light wash of Tamiya clear Yellow and orange to the Axial prop.

Stay tuned for more exciting updates.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 01:57 PM UTC
You are just motoring right a long with this project . I really like how the decals add the extra grianing to the wood . I think you did an excellent job with them .
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Thanks Terri: I was a bit hesitant to use them, but with Decal Fokker Streaking, Lozenge, Fabric texture; I thought what the hey? I am pretty pleased with the results. There are several sheets available, I got one that is way over the top for this project, but may be good on something else, the one I used mainly on this is 32-05.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 02:22 PM UTC
I haven't tried these type of decals before , but after seeing Carls excellent build and yours for the group build . I'm very impressed with them . Will have to give them a try some day , but in 48 scale ! Never seen any one do this on struts yet though , now that would be cool !
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't tried these type of decals before , but after seeing Carls excellent build and yours for the group build . I'm very impressed with them . Will have to give them a try some day , but in 48 scale ! Never seen any one do this on struts yet though , now that would be cool !

I was thinking along the same lines. On my next build, whatever it is, I am going to try them on the struts, and see what it looks like. Naturally, the struts would have to be wide enough for the decal to have any effect. But something like the Sopwith Camel, SE5, something like that with a fairly wide strut, it could be effective if not down right breathtaking!
You can check out his website for the different textures of wood grain.
 _GOTOTOP