_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Taking a "Break" from Modelling
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
Tiny update hopefully in two weeks the metal thing will be removed and I will be put in a leg cast for up to another 12 weeks while the break still heals along with the six holes that have been drilled into my bone.

Currently I have an infection in my left toe just to make things more fun for me. So Im back on the anti-biotics penicillin wannabe for the next week or so wasn't too good when I had to take them after coming out of hospital in the first place. Oh well.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi Sam

I was talking to a girl who'd broken her leg badly while skiing the other day, but I couldn't help but think she'd got off lightly - she didn't have any of that hardware drilled into her leg! It makes me shudder to think of it...

Take care and all the best

Rowan
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
Some good news today, Sam has had the pins removed today (without anaesthetic) and the leg has been put into pot for an undermined amount of time now.

This is the leg as of a few minutes ago

They've gone for a full leg cast so Sam can start to put a little weight on it. Hopefully this will assist the healing process. If not the consultant thinks they may need to look into a bone graft

She couldn't resist the choice of cast but they couldn't do the camo all the way as they need to keep an eye on seepage from where the pins were.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi Allen

Great to see Sam making progess. Don't they do RAF Blue casts?

All the best

Rowan
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:48 PM UTC
Well its been a while since the last update. Guess what I still have my leg in a cast the top break seems to have healed ok its the bottom one which was worse that has not So to say I am fed up is an understatement.

We now have a new Hamster called Gizmo

I was not going to get a new one until my leg was sorted out but a few weeks ago I went to the stables to catch up with friends and see some of the new horses and was given some devastating news. Tiger (the horse I always go on about that I completely adore and fell in love with) his cancer spread to his face and they were sending him to a field to live what was left of his life and stopping his medication the cancer had spread / spreading to his mouth. I was heart broken first Loop and now Tiger. Im still upset about Tiger

We went shopping the next day and there is a Pets at Home next door to supermarket I went in there and came out with Gizmo

Apart from that nothing much has happened, still off work and finally I have a few hours motivation at the weekend to do some modelling (check out campaign threads on Aeroscale )

R.I.P Tiger

in his eventing days
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hi Sam,

I just caught the forum about your "adventure" over the winter/spring. I was, of course aware that you where having a problem with your leg, but until now I didn't know how bad it had been.

Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I'll keep you in my prayers. I'm glad to hear that repairs are going-mostly- oaky. I hope the bottom break hurries up and heals. At least you are back to the work bench, with your new buddy.

Lastly, my condolences on Tiger. It shouldn't happen to anyone.

Anyway, happy modeling and enjoy the vacation...even if is forced

Later
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
They are not given to us. They are loaned. It is we who determine the love and comfort in which they live their lives.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
Thanks guys Nearly the weekend so maybe a few more hours modelling
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC
That's the spirit Sam, have a good weekend.
tim
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
I got some modelling done but it was finishing off some figures I started Oct last year but never really got past the priming stage.

http://hfmodeling.kitmaker.net/forums/160277&page=1

I did also get the decals onto my P-47 campaign entry so not too bad really
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 12:53 AM UTC
Some news Drum roll ....................................................................

It's off, now have to wear a splint and back on one crutch for walking. Physio starts Friday and after physio we are driving to stay with one of my friends, at a horse show Saturday and then driving to Cambridge and finally on Sunday we are at Duxford for the Flying Legends airshow (all WW2/ WW1 aircraft)

Sporty red splint

Battle damage

It feels so good to be back in a pair of jeans Fingers crossed Im booked in to start riding again on the 1st Sept depending how physio goes
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC
Nice to see you healing up Sam ! I would have went nut's having to have that jig on my leg for so long .
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi Sam,

Giddy up! I hope you can get back in the saddle quickly.

Enjoy the airshow!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
Wooooooooo well its been six months 8 days since I was thrown off and 4 weeks since my cast came off and ....................

tonight I had a great night, rode Spirit and manged to stay on for the full hour I did have one or two rests (tiring work this horse riding malarkey). I was happily trotting and cantering around but Im not doing any rising trot at the moment its on the sore side when I try to. Overall Im thrilled ankle is the size of 4 tennis balls strapped together but no pain so I don't care ;D

I don't think the physio will be happy tomorrow as Im supposed to do light exercise, swimming, treadmill walking etc not careering round on a horse. I think I could be banned from the yard first night back and someone else gets thrown off her own horse - broken ribs, spinal injury, bruising down her side, arm injury and a broken fence in the out door school.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 12:21 PM UTC
Sam, given your adventure and now this, there's a lot to be said for sitting quietly at the workbench playing with plastic.

Great to see you are back in the saddle.

Cheers, D
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 02:37 AM UTC

Well the physio has signed me off today not too bad normally a 6 week course minimum and they signed me off after 3 weeks. I think they were getting a bit fed up with me complaining it was too easy

I have today off work so Ive been working on some of my camping entries well battling with decals is more accurate The mossie is fully decaled just need a coat of Klear over the decals and to attach the bits and pieces and it is ready for weathering and varnishing. The P-51 and P-47 are still being decaled but those decals have decided to be a pain in the butt so Ive put those two aside and Im going to pounce on them when they least suspect it. The B-17 should have its wings on soon then just priming and airbrushing.
 _GOTOTOP