_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Two Seater Campaign 1.5 Strutter
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hello All,
Here's what my project for the Two Seater G/B.Tom's Modelworks Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter 1/48 scale vacuform kit. I'm planning to get this project off the ground in the next few weeks.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 05:01 AM UTC
Wow!
Just the look of tha *sprues* is, to me, dounting!
I once had a vacuform canopy and I made a mess... you should be really brave to deal with such a build!
I'll follow it closely!

ciao
Edo
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!
Just the look of tha *sprues* is, to me, dounting!
I once had a vacuform canopy and I made a mess... you should be really brave to deal with such a build!
I'll follow it closely!

ciao
Edo

Edo,
Vacuform kits are not as bad as one might think.They just require more time than the standard injection kit.True they can certainly be a challenge but no more than most short run kits.Thank you for your commits,much appreciated.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC
Good on your Gregory:

I too will be watching this one unfold. You did a great job on that Breguet. I just can't get past why? Roden makes a decent 1 1/2 strutter in 1/48th. Is it the challenge?
Good Luck

Cheers
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good on your Gregory:

I too will be watching this one unfold. You did a great job on that Breguet. I just can't get past why? Roden makes a decent 1 1/2 strutter in 1/48th. Is it the challenge?
Good Luck

Cheers

Mark,
I have the Roden kit as well.You hit it on the head it's the challenge plus the fact that I get more saticfaction from this type of build.Since my return to WWI modeling now you'll see more vacuform kit projects from my bench as well as injection kits.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC
I have done some vacs in my life, but have no desire anymore. What is nice about them, if one is so inclined, is the odd a/c that the vac u form kit offers the modeler, willing to take the time and turn it into a gem. With the plethora of kits out there now in 1/48th and 1/32nd there is plenty to keep me interested and challenged.

Best

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 01:44 PM UTC
Most excellent choice for your project Gergory ! Looking forward to seeing this one unfold .

I do enjoy vac kits . Have something planned in the spring if things work out well .
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Morning All,
A little bit of an update for you today.All the parts have now been cut from the sheet and have been sanded down.I've spent about the last two weeks working on the interior details,with still away to go as of yet.Can't post any photos at present due to a malfunctioning camera I'm afraid that without photos folks it's not much good as an update,maybe more of a progress report.At any rate I post photos as soon as possible.On the bright side though this Strutter will be wearing French colors thanks to spares from Roden's #402 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
Well: What kind of a lame excuse is a non functioning camera? Cutting 'em out of the plastic and sanding them to shape is always a good feeling and sense of progress. I am looking forward to the photo's once the miscreantic camera is up and running.

Cheers

Mark
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC
Gregory,

Most excellent choice. I have the Koster Siemens Schuckert vacuforms on the shelf and will be watching your build with learning eyes.

Regards, Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 12:55 AM UTC
Camera not liking you , well that's a bummer . Looking forward to it when you do get progress pic's up on how you did the cockpit .
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 04:17 AM UTC
I´ll be witching this one.A vac is something u don´t see everyday. Nice I´m holding an old Aeroclub Hawker Hart. Wanting to start that vac, but the seller will not give me a fair price( still have his Vac)

Good luck with the build

Larsa
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
I have the Sierra Strutter. I got as far as cutting out the major components, then.........
Mine now resides in the box with my Roden Strutter I will be watching your progress. Perhaps it will be an inspiration to me to go back to mine!
RAGIII
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
Here's the latest on my Two Seater Campaign contribution.I hope you enjoy this latest update.

This is the 1 1/2 Strutter's instrument panel so far .Still lacking the Mag switches and pulsometer.

The fuselage halves have been detailed out using plastic square stock and wire for the bracing.
Right side

Left side

Both together

Now for my favorite bit.The cockpit and Gunner's station. The basic interior was built up with plastic card with the exception of the Pilots seat which is a spare from the Roden Strutter and Eduard seat belts.

gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC

The fuel tank to be mounted between the Pilot and the gunner.

The cockpit with the tank temporarily in place.

Last for today, test fit with cockpit and fuel tank in place.

Thanks for looking . In case you're wondering the coin used for scaling is a Canadian Loonie $2.00 coin. I suspect Terri's sharp eyes spotted this nearly instantly.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
Very nice work so far in the cockpit Nice attention to the details .

Yes I saw the loonie which is not 2 bucks , it's only one dollar , but it's not even worth that and won't even buy you a news paper . How did you come across it ?
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:53 PM UTC
Terri,
LOL I stand corrected.I had both coins handy from my last trip home in November. Please forgive by near senior moment,I'm just so confused.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 05:53 PM UTC
A question for you all. Can anyone tell me if the tail skid arrangement is the same for a Strutter as it is on the Pup? Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A question for you all. Can anyone tell me if the tail skid arrangement is the same for a Strutter as it is on the Pup? Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory , I'm not sure if the tail skid is the same but the fuselage construction is close to being the same . I looked in the datafile but it really doesn't show this so I can not say yes to your question . So on a educated guess they are more then likely the same . Even the Sowith triplane fuselage is also close so if you have the datafile on that it might show the arrangment for it . I don't have it so again it remains an educated guess . Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you .

Where is home in Canada ?
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory , I'm not sure if the tail skid is the same but the fuselage construction is close to being the same . I looked in the datafile but it really doesn't show this so I can not say yes to your question . So on a educated guess they are more then likely the same . Even the Sowith triplane fuselage is also close so if you have the datafile on that it might show the arrangment for it . I don't have it so again it remains an educated guess . Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you .

Where is home in Canada ?

Terri I have both datafiles for the Pup and Tripe,so I do some more reading.I agree to think that they're likely to be very similar to each other.

Home is actually my wifes home town of Calgary,I just went to the last two and a half years of High School.Funny thing when we were dating I told I'd take her to Texas someday.I being true to my word I did just that. Not mention Kansas,Oklahoma,Texas again ,then finally to Mississippi.Eventually we'll be back in Texas again.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette the Well Traveled
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC

Doing great, Gregory. I really like the extra detail you're putting into it. I've always enjoyed the variety available in Vac kits. you can always find something different to build. You are right they take more time but are well worth it.

Mark
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
The Saga Continues,it's update time again. I 've concentrated on the Strutter's fuselage last week.Once the basic fuselage was closed up it was time to putty the seams and start corrections.

The corrections were as follows. 1) Reskinned the forward metal panels to replace the soft details as they are molded in the kit. 2) Modified the gunners station by cutting down both the front and rear portions to fit the Aeroclub gun mount. 3) Reskinned the Turtleback to achieve the proper Sopwith rear fuselage configuration. 4) Installed the forward access panels to the nose. 5) The openings for the carburetor intake was redrilled and aluminum tubing installed. 6) Installed the firewall and the exhaust channel. More to come....
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:36 AM UTC

Coming along nicely, Gregory. I really love vac builds.

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
Gregory, Great details! I love vacuforms for their potential and close to scale thickness.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
As you can see the work on the tail surfaces had begun. With the main portion installed on the fuselage. The remaining tail parts have been sanded down and are awaiting installment. I've begun work on the upper wing as well.

Just a small amount of putty was needed to finalize the wing and correct for the dreaded oversanding.
A test fit of the kit supplied engine.

No doubt the sharp eyed among us with notice it's not a Clerget but a Le Rhone. I have no idea if Tom's supplied the wrong engine or I robbed the it for some other project.But done the less I be shopping around for a good Clerget now.
Test fit of the engine and the white metal cowling,prop.

That's all for now . Thanks for taking a look.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Hey Terri I got the right coin this time. For the rest of you guys it's a Toonie, a Canadain $2.00 coin.
 _GOTOTOP