_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Wingnut Wings Albatros D.Va
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 09:08 PM UTC
Richard Alexander, Co-ordinator over at Wingnut Wings, kindly agreed to Stephen Lawson's request for an exclusive interview with Aeroscale. Stephen then asked me if I would be interested in meeting Richard down at the Wingnut's shop in Miramar, Wellington. Someone has to do the tough jobs! That was one of the easier decisions I have ever made. I have just returned, laden with four special advanced review samples from the next batch of Wingnut releases. Thank you Richard for your generosity. What follows now is a teaser for the full interview which will get written up and published on Aeroscale in a few days.

You have all been waiting for two new Wingnuts kits, the Sopwith Pup and the Albatros DV. Actually there will be two versions of the Pup, an RFC version and an RNAS version. Likewise the Albatros will be released in two versions, the DV and the DVa. Note the worldwide free shipping offer has been extended to include these four new models which will be available for sale from the Wingnuts website in the middle of March 2010. This is official from Richard using the latest information from the shipping company.

Here is a first look at the Albatros DVa, 32015 which will be US$59.00.

Here is the 'official' kit spec:

-High quality Cartograf decals for 5 aircraft.
-149 high quality injection moulded plastic parts.
-Optional radiators, flares, windscreens, flare gun and 4 propellers.
-Highly detailed Daimler-Mercedes D.III/IIIa/IIIaü engine.
-9 photo-etched metal detail parts including LMG 08/15 Spandau cooling jackets.
-Fine in scale rib tape detail.
-26 page fully illustrated instruction manual including full rigging diagram.

Steve Anderson did the box art:

Lets start with the instruction booklet which is an absolute cracker:

Ronnie Bar did the artwork. Five markings options are included, only one of which is well known:

Thats got to be the biggest swastika on an aircraft I've ever seen. I don't think too many of that version will get built in Germany . . .

james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 09:27 PM UTC
Looks great!
I'm no WW1 fan, but I heard only good words about Wingnut's products, and those colourful schemes look very inviting! I read they also provide some nice colourde instruction sheet as well, any chance to see some?
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 09:30 PM UTC
Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine

So there will be two Pups released and two Albatros’ released, my credit card will be melting.......

Dave
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 09:33 PM UTC
I hope these images are not too large for everyone. Mark Miller is the 3D modeller responsible for designing the Albatros, a very experienced WWI aircraft illustrator. Now I know what he was doing in Wellington when I met him at our local IPMS club meeting. Well done Mark!

The fit of the fuselage bulkheads will be very easy and precise with the grooves cut in each fuselage half.

Note the interrupter cables leading up to the mg breeches:

The interior painting guide is very detailed:

The booklet is filled with detailed photos, these from the survivor at the Australian War Memorial Museum DVa:

Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 09:46 PM UTC
Wingnuts have really done their homework on the engine. Two versions are provided a Mercedes D.IIIa 180PS and D.IIIau 200PS:

The reference photos of both engines will be very useful for the detail-afflicted among us. Here is a Mercedes D.IIIa 180PS:

And here is a D.IIIau 200PS:

With views from every angle and great closeups of the camshaft and valve rockers:

Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 10:08 PM UTC
Even the nose section has all the bulkheads provided. Imagine a cut away model!

Wingnuts have listened to their customers and are now including photo etched cooling barrels for the LMG 08/15 Spandau guns.

So many great, clear period photos. I have read a lot of WWI aviation books but many of these photos are new to me. Previously unpublished I wonder?

Two different radiators for the top wing, a Teves & Braun and a Daimler-Mercedes radiator.

Three different propellers are included, a Niendorf, Axial and Wolff, each with lovely makers decals.

The instruction booklet is like a Datafile, its so packed with reference information. Tomorrow I will post some detail photos of some of the kit parts. Suffice to say for now, it all looks very nice! I'm off to bed.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 10:09 PM UTC
You tease!! I want I want I want... yesterday..
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 10:40 PM UTC
Thanks!
marcinwalczak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 11:58 PM UTC
yes, yes
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC
Wow , very impressive moulds ! The detail is unreal and the option to build her with the cowl parts off .....COOL !

Middle of March you say , same time as my Birthday !!!
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 01:11 AM UTC
Ah! ah! ah! Terri!
I was surprised not to have seen a comment from you to this thread given your 'passin' for Albies... Than come to me the time zone problem....
Nevertheless, I was waiting for you, and I hope to see you soon at work with it!

ciao
Edo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah! ah! ah! Terri!
I was surprised not to have seen a comment from you to this thread given your 'passin' for Albies... Than come to me the time zone problem....
Nevertheless, I was waiting for you, and I hope to see you soon at work with it!

ciao
Edo

No passing on the albbie's for me . I have 20 in the stash which cover the D.1 , D.2 , D.3 , W-4 , D.V/a , Dr.1 , C.III and a future scratch project of the J.1 which I'm still gathering info for .
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
James,
Thanks for this bit of great news my friend.The Albatros D.Va sure looks outstanding!But where's the Pup's photo's and info ? the supence is killing me and soom my modeling funds too.And where's the Fokker's ?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Opps!
I misspellled... it should read PASSION not passin...
so, I think, is much more clear...
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

James,
Thanks for this bit of great news my friend.The Albatros D.Va sure looks outstanding!But where's the Pup's photo's and info ? the supence is killing me and soom my modeling funds too.And where's the Fokker's ?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory
As I said this was a teaser. The feature article and the other reviews will come very soon. I have some exciting news from Richard. For example, with these two Albatros kits there will be 10 different markings options. A further 60 are in the pipeline!

I'm off to work now and my next uploads will be after 10pm Kiwi time.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 05:48 AM UTC
Thanks James.I appreciate the update no matter what.Now off to work you go,I'm be looking forward your next.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
OOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooH Yes....now how many dare I buy.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
OUT Standing!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
O.M.G. Can't wait for the next three reviews- long live Aeroscale! The color schemes in this kit are simply choice, to say the least- and the instructions are just fantastic. Elegant work, Wingnut Wings-

Cheers!
chuk
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Nice!

Wait till the Captain gets a load of this!

WNWs sure know how to market their kits, nice collaboration between Aeroscale and them. Excellent job James and the fringe benefits aren't bad it seems. Way to go Stephen, can't wait for the interview. Looks like I have a few weeks to scrape and save, gotta have all four.

Dwayne
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi guys. New here, although I know a lot of you from over at the 'Drome. James, thanks for posting the sneak peek at the DVa. I can't wait for this to come out! Last year I re-entered the modelling world after a 20 year hiatus, thanks to Wingnut Wings. My modelling skills are nowhere near the calibre of you guys. I really only finish mine out to the point that I can take them outside and take reference shots for paintings. Sometimes I don't even finish out the interiors (*GASP!*). Anyway, I ramble.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hi James,

Excellent stuff! I can't wait to read the reviews and the interview...

Jean-Luc
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Excellent James! Very nicely done! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see WNW doing "Stropp" as she was in war! Even down to the yellow spinner and wheels! Everything about this kit is exciting. And you scored big for Aeroscale! You sir are a steely eyed modeler! My sincere thanks for this coupe!
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC
At Last! I will have to have one each of the Albatri!!! Now to look into that loan................
RAGIII
Ellevenbravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
This looks like a wonderful kit. I can't wait for it.

I do have one observation - the DVa "Stropp" is in the Smithsonian and it has lozenge wings, not the mauve and green camo that Wingnuts is calling out. This is a very well documented machine (I have the book on it's restoration which is a wonderful resource for anyone building an Albatross model) and I would tend to go with the Smithsonian's version over Wingnut's. Any thoughts on this? The Stropp version is my favorite but I do need it to be 100% accurate.

Regards,

John
 _GOTOTOP