_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Wingnut Wings Albatros D.Va
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do have one observation - the DVa "Stropp" is in the Smithsonian and it has lozenge wings, not the mauve and green camo that Wingnuts is calling out. Any thoughts on this? The Stropp version is my favorite but I do need it to be 100% accurate.

I have a Czech Republic Decal sheet for the DV and DVa in 148 with the Stropp A/C and it shows the wings with Lozenge. It gives the date as August 1918. Maybe in April 1918 it had the mauve and green cammo wings. Not that it is an authority, but it references the Smithsonian a/c as the source for their instruction. It looks like we have ourselves here is a regular engima!
Emilio_Lizardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 04:32 PM UTC
The OTF guys did some research on the aircraft that came too late for the 1976 restoration. The serial number indicated that the came for a green/mauve production batch and examination of the original fabric from a stabilizer revealed underside blue and not lozenge under the yellow and green paint. The DVa restoration book even indicates that the werke numbers on the wings were different than the aircraft which suggests that the wings were possibly replace in the field or that items from other captured aircraft were sent witht he fuselage when the French gave the aircraft to the US.

The other observation was that perhaps the NASM restoration had the fuselage too light in color.

The one surprise is the yellow spinner and wheels. Maybe Steve Lawson can fill me in on that.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 09:11 PM UTC
I can hear the Decal manufacturers mixing their inks and can only imagine what other
choices we are going be offered..... I only wish/hope Wingnuts include/sell their lozenge as well.

Also looking at the weapons and Engine detail, a nice idea would be for them to release them as seperate mini upgrade kits for other 1/32 kits on the market. I can't wait to see the pup in more detail too

Keith
Ellevenbravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:49 AM UTC
David,

With regard to Stropp's fuselage being too light, you are correct. In the NASM book, they mention that the original German spar varnish used to seal the plywood at the Albatross factory was darker than what they used. In retrospect, they admitted that they should have added a bit of raw sienna or burnt umber to their varnish to get the proper tone.

Regards,

John

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 07:56 AM UTC
OK, so when???? Middle of March? What about the Fokker?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wait till the Captain gets a load of this!
Dwayne

My silence has been noted.

I was taking our trash out to the curb yesterday morning, and the 16 inches of snow and ice on the ground got me. I tripped/slipped and executed a very poor PLF. Needless to say, my back wich is currently more metal than bone, did not take to well to the twisting and bouncing, and retaliated in kind. After some assistance from the Left Handed Untergefrieter, I am now able to feel my legs again and spent some time in the workshop this morning.

So, imagine my suprise when I opened up my favorite site this afternoon and found this. Not one, but two releases of my trusworthy old friend, the Albatros. My first model, ever, was an Albatros way, way back in about 1966. Seeing this beautiful release actually brought tears to my eyes (well, it might be cat allergies). On top of that, my MA 1/16 scale Albatros also showed up yesterday. This is proving to be a good week, aside from the twisting metal in my back. I was planning on three Albies, now upgraded to two of each. Yeah, they do have a good marketing plan.

This is a great time to be a 32nd scale WWI modeler. Now where did I put that oil paint?
BurlBurlingame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
At last! A source of parts to finish my BattleAxe Albatros!

(joke!)
modelguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 06:08 PM UTC
Homina, homina homina!!! I need to go to confession just for my impure thoughts about the DV! When I get mine, I'm just going to carry it around with me for a week or so.
nzdavidh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 08:35 PM UTC
Nice one James (some people get all the tough assignments... that must have been a real drag). Stunning looking kits... can't wait to see the build reviews.

Personally, I can't decide whether to take the plunge in March or hold out for some of the releases due later in the year. DVa or FE2b hmmmm....
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one James (some people get all the tough assignments... that must have been a real drag). Stunning looking kits... can't wait to see the build reviews.

Personally, I can't decide whether to take the plunge in March or hold out for some of the releases due later in the year. DVa or FE2b hmmmm....

Life is too short. Model On!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From Greg VanWyngarden

Quoted Text

". . .It would appear that the WNW people got a little confused on this one. It's obviously based mostly on this well-known photo:

The original (or at least one original) is in the Bayerische Kriegsarchiv. The lengthwise black/white stripe on the fuselage identifies this machine as a Jasta 14 aircraft - or at least, it served in that unit at one time.

This photo has long been a puzzle. There's little doubt that the fellow in the photo is actually Ltn. Wilhelm von Poschinger, who never (AFAIK) served in Jasta 14. He did serve in Jasta 12, and (according to Rick Duiven and Mückler) came to Jasta 32b on 27 March 1917. He served as the OzbV ( the Officer for special duties) from 27 May 1917 to 29 June 1917 (or 17 July 1917 according to Mueckler) when he left the unit, either for FA 296A or FEA 1b. However, he seems to have returned to von Schleich's Jagdgruppe 8b staff, as he appears in the well-known series of group photos taken at Epinoy on 8 June 1918. I would assume (which is always dangerous) that he was simply posing in front of the Jasta 14 Albatros D.Va for that photo above, but I don't know the time or location.

As you say, Ltn. Gustav Freiherr Vogt von Hunoltstein (gen Stein-Kallenfels) also served in Jasta 32b as OzbV, coming from FA 296A in September 1917. He too, appears in those group photos, which may be where the confusion came from.

Sorry, but I don't know which Jasta 14 pilot flew that particular Albatros D.Va - but I really doubt that it was either von Poschinger or von Hunoltstein."

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC
Also from Greg. . .

Quoted Text

Hi All, The same D.Va appears in this line-up photo taken at Phalempin airfield in the German 6. Armee area, dated 23 May 1918. The rest of the aircraft are Jasta 14 Triplanes.

dcshoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
Greg-
Many thanks for the clarification. Another thought: I may have missed something along the way, but Wingnuts has the three-color top wing camouflage (which seems correct for the build date) while the NASM has the lozenge fabric. What I expect to learn is that someone found that NASM's wings are not the originals, but a mis-matched set picked up in France at the time the US brought the plane back. Any insights you c an share before I make a tragic blunder on the camouflage?
Many thanks.
V/R,
DC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greg-
Many thanks for the clarification. Another thought: I may have missed something along the way, but Wingnuts has the three-color top wing camouflage (which seems correct for the build date) while the NASM has the lozenge fabric. What I expect to learn is that someone found that NASM's wings are not the originals, but a mis-matched set picked up in France at the time the US brought the plane back. Any insights you c an share before I make a tragic blunder on the camouflage?
Many thanks.
V/R,
DC

For the captured version WNW got it right. Two toned upper Camouflage. I brought up and earlier threead on "Stropp".
Click here.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Stephen: Thanks for that bit of info and the link to the models and how the NASM got the way it is. As I have mentioned before, you learn more here by accident than any place by design.
 _GOTOTOP