_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Heinrich Gontermann
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi Guys

just a small problem that I wish to have cleared up, to help me get more info.

Heinrich Gontermann.

In Windsock Datafile special, “Albatros Fighters” Pg 36 has an image at the bottom of the page, it states that this is Heinrich Gontermann of Jasta 15 standing before his Albatros D.V, with the colour scheme being a closely stippled with dark green over a aluminium doped fuselage, but it is very difficult to be exact on this with it being a monochrome image.

But this is only part of the dilema, According to information on the Aerodrome, it states that in Jasta 15 they used Fokkers, D.II, D.III, D.VII and Dr.I and Heinrich Gontermann was killed in flying accident while in Jasta 15.

So this has become a problem for me as I wished to model the Heinrich Gontermann D.V. but he may not have flown one, but someone did fly this aircraft and it was leader as the aorcraft has a leaders pennent on the tail skid in the Windsock Datafile.

So please could anybody give me the correct info either on the Albatros or Heinrich Gontermann

Thanks very much in advance

Dave
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 04:49 PM UTC
Gontermann did fly that Alb. D.V with Jasta 15. Though the quote about it having an aluminum doped fuselage is a bit dubious.

Here is a bit on Gontermann & his Dr.I
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys

just a small problem that I wish to have cleared up, to help me get more info.

Heinrich Gontermann.

In Windsock Datafile special, “Albatros Fighters” Pg 36 has an image at the bottom of the page, it states that this is Heinrich Gontermann of Jasta 15 standing before his Albatros D.V, with the colour scheme being a closely stippled with dark green over a aluminium doped fuselage, but it is very difficult to be exact on this with it being a monochrome image.

But this is only part of the dilema, According to information on the Aerodrome, it states that in Jasta 15 they used Fokkers, D.II, D.III, D.VII and Dr.I and Heinrich Gontermann was killed in flying accident while in Jasta 15.

So this has become a problem for me as I wished to model the Heinrich Gontermann D.V. but he may not have flown one, but someone did fly this aircraft and it was leader as the aorcraft has a leaders pennent on the tail skid in the Windsock Datafile.

So please could anybody give me the correct info either on the Albatros or Heinrich Gontermann

Thanks very much in advance

Dave

Dave,
Did a little "digging" on your question and came up with some food for thought. According to Osprey's Albatros Aces Vol 2 Gontermann flew an Alb DIII with Jasta 5 before he went to Jasta 15 as Commander. That aircraft is pictured on page38 with a caption that says it is "probably 2243/16 and has a "mottled camoflage finish".

In Osprey's ballon Busting Aces book pg 47 he is again pictured with D. 2243/16 and a caption of "the stipled camoflage he applied". In the same book Color Profile 31 shows Gonterman's Jasta 15 Alb D.V with the dapple finish and Planform 8 illustrates the wing upper surfaces dappled as well, contrary to the standard dark green and mauve mentioned in the Windsock Volume you referred to.

I havn't the expertise that many of our members have however, for my money, I'd go with the Windsock version for the upper wing surfaces; the Osprey side colored profile being a good finish to shoot for and the wing uppers in green/mauve. Rimell and his fine volumes have near biblical status in my estimation; don't think anyone could or would argue with his version(s)!

Last, I agree with Stephen's comment to the degree that I beleive the base color under the green dapple was more likely a greyish silver (as mentioned in the Osprey Volumes) or bluish grey as opposed to a doped aluminum finish.

I hope this is of some help; I realise I've highlighted more contradictions between sources then definitive answers! Bottom line though is he flew the DV with Jasta 15. He was killed flying an early test flight in Fokker Dr.I 115/17 IIC on29th / DOW on 30th Oct. 1917 and I speculate that most, if not all, of his 22 kills as Commander of jasta 15 were gained on the Albatros D.V.

Had fun chasing some of this........

Cheers,
 _GOTOTOP