1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk IV
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
[u]History[/u]

When Britain went to war in 1939 the Bristol Blenheim was undoubtedly the most important aircraft in the inventory of the Royal Air Force. The Blenheim was built in vast numbers and set new standards in performance. It was issued to every RAF Command, including Bomber, Night Fighter and Coastal Commands. The introduction of the type heralded the adoption of many new production techniques. The all-metal monocoque structure and complex internal systems were at the leading edge of the technology of the day.

During the opening encounters of the war the Blenheims flaws were brutally exposed by enemy fighters and flak. Casualty rates were alarmingly high and only the dedication and courage of the crews that flew them enabled operations to continue. A total of three Victoria Crosses, Britains highest recognition for bravery was awarded to Blenheim crewmen. Frequently overlooked, the contribution of the Blenheim can not be ignored. Despite its inadequacies, it was the only British bomber capable of offensive daylight operations until the introduction of the de Havilland Mosquito. Blenheim squadrons served in every theatre of the war and chalked up many historic firsts. They pioneered many of the techniques of modern aerial warfare such as airborne radar interception.

A Canadian-built variant of the Blenheim named the Bolingbroke was used as an anti-submarine and training aircraft.

[u]Specifications (Blenheim Mk IV):[/u]
Engines: Two 905-hp Bristol Mercury XV radial piston engines
Weight: Empty 9,790 lbs., Max Takeoff 14,400 lbs.
Wing Span: 56ft. 4in.
Length: 42ft. 7in.
Height: 9ft. 10in.
Performance:
Maximum Speed: 266 mph
Cruising Speed: 198 mph
Ceiling: 27,260 ft.
Range: 1,460 miles
Armament: Three 7.7-mm (0.303-inch) machine guns, plus up to 1,000 pounds of bombs internally and 320 pounds externally.

Number Built: 4,422

Number Still Airworthy: One

[u]The Kit:[/u]

This kit seems to follow suit to what little I've seen of Airfix kits. Lots of flash, thick clunky parts, and parts that are virtually welded to the spree trees. I have to admit I like the detail to the surface of the aircraft with the rivets and such. Its a shame that a lot of it will be lost when it comes time to sand the filler that this will undoubtedly need.

Like most of us I like to start with the cockpit. Is it just me or is this seat as excited as me to get started? :lol:

The instrument panel

Adding gauges to the back of the exposed instrument panel.

The bombardier/ Navigators seat will have to go. They sat on a retractable stool that stowed away under the Nav table. This looks more like a folding jump seat from an old Toyota crew cab pickup truck.

The Navigators map table will also have to go. Its Drummel time!

It's almost like the seat was never there

I left a small lip of the original table to give the new table something to attach to.

Now here is where it gets interesting. On the real Blenheim's the cockpit was a multi-level compartment with the pilot sitting high and the Bombardier/ Navigator dropping down to the nose to do his part. The model had it all on the same level. I'm going to attempt to change this.

I started by making a new attaching point for the flight deck.

The deck was then cut to match what the actual Blenheim's had.

Rib work

From what I found online the kit seat didn't look right to me for the pilot. To remedy this I stole a spare seat from one of my Academy B-17s. Cut the legs off, trimmed down the seat back and added arm rests. In the end it was closer to a seat I saw in a picture of a Blenheim.

Next I added a wall between the pilot and the bombardier table which was made from some evergreen styrene.

Painting the Blenheim cockpit

I added the fuel control box the the bulkhead

Next I added the control column and the seats. The pilots seat cushion is a bit shiny for me so I will attempt to tone it down with some flat cote. I also added the map box to the navigators table.

Next up will be the retracting stool that the Bombardier/ Navigator uses at the table and maybe some seat belts.

Till then thanks for looking.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 07:54 AM UTC
Wow, really good start.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:16 AM UTC
Really looking forward to seeing how this build comes out. Russell
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC
Looks great. Keep posting your progress.

Cam
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 07:54 PM UTC
Wow a walk down memory lane, I loved this kit when it was new back in 19** I loved the nose as a kid dont ask why, I dunno. Lovely work bringing an lod girl like thiss back to life.

It makes me realise just how fortunate we are these days and why we really shouldnt grumble so much about little tiny things wrong with modern manufacturers kits....I do include Airfix's more recent releases here. But seeing an old 60's kit like this still in production makes you realise just how far the manufacturers have come.

Now this is a kite that would loook wonderful in a modern larger scale, dont you think?

Keith
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 12:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Kieth I agree I think a larger scale of this model could really look good but then again I would like an updated version of this one. The next big task for this one after I close up the fuselage is going to be a bit of a challenge for me. That be cutting back the length of the top engine nacelles to the proper spot on the wings and fattening them up. The kit nacelles are to lean and long.

A little more progress on the Blenburgher (early Blenheim nickname)

[u]History[/u]
The night fighter version, the Blenheim IF, was equipped with a special under-fuselage pack that housed four machine guns, and an airborne interception radar. It was a Blenheim IF that made the first radar-assisted kill of the war in July of 1940. The Blenheim would also become the first aircraft to make reconnaissance and bombing raids into Germany during the opening stages of the war in the west. The Blenheim Mk IV would equip 70 squadrons at its height of popularity, and continue to serve in the Middle and Far East until the last years of the war. A Blenheim Mk V was also built, with extra armor and weapons, but the same engines. This meant it was an extremely slow aircraft and after serious losses in Italy, it was withdrawn from service.

[u]The Model[/u]

Continuing the cockpit with work on the navigators stool.

The fuselage is all closed up now and after the glue cures the filling will begin.

I'd like to make an attempt at fixing the engine nacelles like those of you in the GB did but I'm not so sure I have the skills to attempt such a task. I need to think about it some more before I decide.

Thanks for looking.
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Kieth I agree I think a larger scale of this model could really look good but then again I would like an updated version of this one

There is a 1/48 scale version put out by Classic Airframes. It is a mix of resin and plastic as per there normal kit layouts. I have one in the stash and it is very nice. Here is a link to a kit review.

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/blenheimivreviewbg_1.htm

Cam
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
I remain impressed. It's amazing how much detail can actually be crammed into a 1/72 model. Espwcially if you have the right tools (and good eyes ). BTW, what is the metal template you show in the first new pic?
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Mark. That is a 1/72 scale scribing template. Its used for re scribing panel lines and access panels. It conforms to the fuselage real easy. I just picked it up yesterday.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
More details please. I'm using a couple of old eraser shields, and would love to get something more purpose built for my work.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
I thought about using an eraser shield myself but eraser shields don't have the assortment of circular and oval panel sizes. Also an eraser shield will not conform to the fuselage as ease as this does, and they come in different scales. Like I said earlier this one is for 1/72. They also have them for 1/48 and 1/32. I will get the make later tonight when I get home and post a better picture of it
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC
As requested here is the info for the scribing tool I have

The company is Verlinden
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hi Dirk,

Great start. Keep going! Well done.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 06:02 PM UTC
Dirk,

Thanks. I wanted to know where to get one.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 04:56 PM UTC
Mark

I've seen them on EvilBay. This one I happened to find in my LHS
Removed by original poster on 04/21/10 - 17:02:38 (GMT).
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
It took me a while but I decided on Coastal Command Blenheim. I'm going to use the kit decals providing they don't disintegrate when they hit the water. Its the color scheme I'm going for as opposed to an actual aircraft.

The Process begins with the Primer

Bottom color

Top coat of Medium Sea Gray

Applying the masks for the Dark Green

Installing the guide rails for the pilots hatch

One two 920 hp Bristol Mercury XX engines

The Dark Green in place

Thanks for taking the time to look at my project.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
Coming along nicely.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
I wouldn't worry too much about the decals disintegrating, the old Airfix decals tend to hold up nicely. But I've always had trouble getting them to not silver.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
Keep going Dirk, we 1/72 scale modelers have to stick together you know! Russell
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 05:36 PM UTC
Here is the Blenheim unmasked

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:35 AM UTC
The Blenheim has been on the back burner for a little while due to other projects that have a timeline but every now and then I pick it up. The other day I had some time so I painted the bronze on the forward engine cowlings.

Till next time thanks for looking
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
Nice work on the bronze. How did you keep the paint from bleeding around the cylinder heads?
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
Simple Tamiya tape and a lot of pressure. Some did leak through on the undersides. I will address that a little later.

Thanks for looking
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the bronze. How did you keep the paint from bleeding around the cylinder heads?

Also Mark, if you only mist on the coats very lightly there is never enough fluid paint to bleed under the masking tape.
 _GOTOTOP