_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/48 Apache Longbow (Hasegawa)
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 08:25 AM UTC
Yup, that one's a beauty! I take it that you would recommend this kit? Doesn't seem like there were any major fixes going on anywhere. You really got my mind working though with that arctic scheme you were talking about...I'll start my planning!

Congratulations on such a clean and impressive build!
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Thanks Robby!

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend this kit. No major problems. Some filling and sanding when joining the fuselage halfs but that's a given really. The canopy fit isn't perfect either but nothing a bit of fettling can't fix! Just needs very careful handling during building and painting as my knees will tell you after all the praying I've been doing to the carpet God looking for various bits and pieces!!!

As for the arctic scheme, this is the inspiration for what I almost went with;

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-16/f-16c_profile03.shtml

I think the apache would look great like this!

Thanks again and happy modelling to you!!!

Cheers, Jim.

jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
Looks fantastic. I sure wish Hase would release some Middle Eastern versions of this heli - Egyptian, Israeli, Saudi, and UAE. I hear India will be aquiring Apaches also. Hopefully they'll trick them out in some interesting camo, instead of the same boring monochromatic scheme every other country that flies the Apache has gone with.
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:27 PM UTC
Jim, thanks a lot for the link...if I ever get around to it (it could be a while, I'll admit...), that will certainly be my inspiration! And I guess I'll be doing the same bit of praying as you did, since my workbench is on carpet as well :/

J, IsraDecal makes a sheet for US/IAF Apaches. I've been having a difficult time finding them, and when I finally do, they're kinda pricey. I'm not sure about any other ME units though.
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
Thanks J. Yeah, would be nice to see more versions. I quite like the japanese one and have seen a singapore airforce one, both hasegawa.

Robby, be sure to post your progress if you go for it, which you should. The kit is a lot of work but well worth it!

Cheers, Jim.
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 11:57 PM UTC
wow !! what an amazing looking model this is really inspiring me to start building my 1/48 Kiowa kit really nice work
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC
Thanks Dave,

May have to get the Kiowa myself, would be great to display them together!

Thanks again, Jim.
 _GOTOTOP