_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
TVAL Albatros DVa photos
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 08:17 PM UTC
I expect lots of you have ordered the new Wingnut Wings Albatros kits so I thought you may be interested in some photos of the reproduction Albatros DVa built by The Vintage Aviator Ltd (TVAL). They have a generous 'open hangar' policy each weekend over the summer months and I have visited a couple of times looking to get the kind of detail photos that modellers always like to get. The kit instructions have some excellent photos and the TVAL website is a must see as well. Hopefully these shots offer something further for the more detail-afflicted among us.

The Vintage Aviator went to great lengths researching the build, even to the extent of laser scanning the original, restored Albatros DVa at Canberra, Australia. The laser scanner was accurate to 0.001 inches with­out direct physical contact, giving a greater degree of accuracy and detail than original drawings. After nearly two weeks of digitizing, enough information was captured to construct a complete digital model of the aircraft.

TVAL made their own plywood for the fuselage bulk­heads, sourced appropriate nails and even made their own five color lozenge fabric, based on original fabric samples they held.

Here is a link to the album over at Photobucket: http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Albatros%20DV/

Check out the cable that fits around the spinner:

The tailskid has fabric wrapping around the upper half and a leather strap protecting the head end:

Note the tie down ring for picketing the aircraft:

The oil/fuel seepage from the drain cock under the fuselage is interesting. This is on an aircraft less than six months old:

The nails in the ply panels on the fuselage are quite noticeable and should be easy enough to replicate using a pencil and a straight edge:

There are lots more photos over at the album. If anyone would like hi-res copies, drop me a line: [email protected]

Happy Modelling
James
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 08:25 PM UTC
Nice one James, I was aware of TVALs work but as a AMS sufferer these pics are a pure delight/torture to me and many others. I used their SE5a restoration when I worked on my kit.... Now 2 DVa's are on the way to England.....time to sharpen that knife and hone my tools

Invaluable reference Thank you

Keith
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi James!
very useful stuff!
Thank you for sharing!

Ciao
Edo
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 08:28 PM UTC
Here are a few more:

One of the instruments was being calibrated with a modern version fitted temporarily on top of the greaser pump. Also some of the placards were not quite finished yet:

Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 08:40 PM UTC
Gene De Marco has noted in an interview " The seat is an odd high back leather covered wrap around device that has seat belts designed to keep you from falling out only, not to protect you in the event of a mishap. The lap belt is designed to go over the seat and not even contact your thighs or lap. The high sides of the seat leave little room for your elbows when pulling the stick back, an awkward position but one you have to get used to".

Note the fabric screen behind the seat.

Some further comments on flight characteristics by Gene De Marco are interesting:

"In flight the D.Va performs well, not nearly as well balanced and harmonized as the RAF SE.5a though. The ailerons are heavy and the roll rate isn't very spectacular, the elevator is very sensitive, almost too sensitive while the rudder is less than adequate. For me the best part is the engine, something about it gives the feeling of security, it has a healthy rumble and good throttle response. It is difficult to keep the engine warm on cold days and is easy to overheat on warm days, the radiator shutters seem to be either full open or closed and even then there isn't enough temperature control. During the flight your other senses take part, as the engine warms and fluids start oozing out there is the occasional whiff of burning oil or cooking grease each of these comes with its own visual indicator as well, a small puff of smoke or hot droplet in the face. With minimal instruments, only the airspeed indicator in the strut a Tachometer in front of you and a small air pressure gauge to measure fuel tank pressure there isn't much to monitor, no oil temperature or oil pressure indication and no electrical system".

If any of you are planning to visit EnZed you should be in Masterton at Hood Aerodrome on April 24 for TVAL's next airshow. I wonder if TVAL's new LVG C.VI will be finished in time?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:37 AM UTC
Fantastic pic's James !

The fun part will trying to make all the nail holes on the WNW fuselage !

Thanks for taking the time and sharing the photo's
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 01:00 AM UTC
Perfect timing Jamo. These pictures are great. I am seeing details I never noticed before.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your contributions to this site. You have provided us with great reviews, pictures, and information. I am sure I speak for just about everybody here when I say you are a most highly valued asset to this site. You are always willing to help and we are lucky to have you gracing the Kitmaker Network.

Thanks
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 02:29 AM UTC
James,
Thank you for the excellent photos. They'll be very useful to anyone building or planning to build an Albatros D.Va.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perfect timing Jamo. These pictures are great. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your contributions to this site. You have provided us with great reviews, pictures, and information. I am sure I speak for just about everybody here when I say you are a most highly valued asset to this site. You are always willing to help and we are lucky to have you gracing the Kitmaker Network. Thanks

I echo Carls sentiments Jamo. Your efforts are appreciated and welcome. Always helpful.

Cheers
Mark
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thank you all for the kind feedback. It really is a pleasure to be able to share this stuff. Probably a bigger thank you is due to Peter Jackson and his teams of gifted, hard working people at The Vintage Aviator Ltd and Wingnut Wings who are making our dreams come true.

Happy Modelling
James
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi James,
A great set of photos.
Classic wings Mag has a great article on the build its in the previous issue.
I've yet to get to visit The Vintage Aviator Ltd I had hoped to visit over Christmas but did'nt quite make it.

Is there any chance next time you are there to get some shots of the DH2 if its there please,its kinda funky in a strange sorta way.

Cheers

Chris
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC
Truly a work of art. James also gave us some more excellent images in the Aeroscale Rememberance Day Feature.

Click here.
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James,
A great set of photos.
Classic wings Mag has a great article on the build its in the previous issue.
I've yet to get to visit The Vintage Aviator Ltd I had hoped to visit over Christmas but did'nt quite make it.

Is there any chance next time you are there to get some shots of the DH2 if its there please,its kinda funky in a strange sorta way.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes I have that magazine and used it for the quotes above from Gene De Marco. Its worth getting.

TVAL don't have a DH2, perhaps you meant the FE2B? I have taken a lot of photos of the Fee (and its Beardmore engine) in another album at Photobucket.

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/FE2b/

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Beardmore%20160hp/

There is a flyable DH2 replica at the Aviation Heritage Centre at Omaka but it wasn't made by TVAL and is somewhat less useful as a reference.

Regards
James
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 09:12 PM UTC
I have set up a new Photobucket album with Hi-Res images of the Albatros DVa. Each is about 4Mb in size, not cropped or compressed, so plenty of scope for zooming in. Depending on the speed of your internet connection these may take a little longer to download.

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Hi-Res%20images/

Happy Modelling
James
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Just bumping this forward,
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY