_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Albatros D.I camo question
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi all – apart from doing an Austrian Albatros, I am also doing Roden's 1:32 Alb. D.I. Not pushing the envelope so much on this one though, more of an out of the box effort.

I am considering which kammo to do for this one – I do like the one on the boxart, 435/16 of Lt Spizthoff, Jasta 5, so that is a possibility.

But theres one in the instrucions – 426/16 of Lt Günter of Jasta 2 that looks even more interesting, with its slightly odd paintjob (field applied or just a trial from the factory?)... For those of you that don’t have the instructions, the cammo runs along the upperwing and extends underneath it meeting the light blue about a 1/3 in from the leading edge. Same for the bottom wing.

Roden usually get things pretty accurate, but I like to crosscheck, and I have not found any references for it.

There is an image in the Osprey Albatros Aces pt2 on p.10 that could be it? The cammo here does not seem to extend underneath as much as in the kit instructions though... if indeed it is the cammo, and not just a shadow in the picture?

So – does sombody here know, is Roden's suggestion correct for 426/16?

Any answer is most appreciated!

Thank You very much

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC
well I have 2 pics of said A/C in two different windsock pubs..I'm not sure of the pic you have, I dont have ospreys part 2.

pic 1 is plate 14 on page 5 in the DI/DII datafile, from lowish left front it shows clearly the whole underside of the upper wing as light in colour, I presume lt blue.

pic 2 is on page 13 of the Albatros fighters datafile special showing the right side which shows a line across the width of the wing, dark in front and light behind, approx 3/4 the width between wing front and the cutout but looking at the pic the sun position is low front so it may be a shadow there is a dark patch above the supporting trestle too which only convinces me more it is shadow and the pic quality isnt brilliant but shadows from the nose rigging point etc are almost horizontal.....theres a line under the lower wing too but not so deep and does look more shadow like.

I know this only confuses the matter nore...sorry
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Keith – Thank You for your info! As you say, it made the matter more confusing :-) But your answer is still very apreciated, and it made me look at the image I have with ”new” eyes.

I guess if there had been something out of the ordinary with the paintjob on 426, then your two datafiles would have made a mention of it, so that is a big (–) for Rodens instructions being correct...

I have been staring at the image I have all afternoon. It is a lineup of two Jasta 2 machines, and it’s imposible to make out which, so I can’t even be sure if its 426. The other machine is only visible by its wingtip, but it has the same shadow/marking under the wing. I am now leaning towards shadow. As you say, this is also photographed late or early in the day with long shadows on the ground.

It would also be odd to apply uppersurface paint on the lower, simply not logical – then again Lozenge fabric does perhaps not seem the most logical idea when you first hear of it?

I’ll keep scratching my head a bit more... And the probably do one that is not on the instructions at all, Oh well.

Best Regards
Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 08:05 AM UTC
Mikael, yes I can't see logical reason to dope a wing like that, I am surprised no one else has stood up with an opinion though. Roden are probably using information gleaned from somewhere and it is easy to assume right or wrong,
Different films then showed colours so very differently, images fade with time etc, so many educated guesses I guess.

Another thing is the caption for the pic in the Albatros fighters special makes no mention of it...reading...Camoflage colours cannot be confirmed but it is likely D.426/16 was doped redbrown and green on its upper surfaces with pale blue applied beneath fuselage, wings, and horizontal tail plane. I'm sure if Windsock thought it dope they would have said.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 03:21 PM UTC
Dan San Abbott's research into the camouflage of the Albatros aircraft is impeccable.

The bottom two schemes in this image are highly...suspect and should not be relied on. I'll do some digging and get back to you.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 06:19 PM UTC
Here is a good read on the subject. Both the D.I & D.II are covered.

click here.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 08:20 PM UTC
Nice one Stephen
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
Wow – yes Stephen, really nice one And a very big thank you, just what I was hoping for. – I have bookmarked Dan San's excellent article, will help me get my DI looking right.

Thanks Keith, it is alwas good to bounce ones thoghts around a bit, gives a fresh perspective on things.

Best Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi everyone

– apart from finishing my Austrian Albatros – I also finished my other Albatros build. I did it up as DI 426/16 of Jasta 2.

Thank You to Jack Flash for pointing me to great info on paint schemes for these early Albatroses. I think I was able to finish it in a more correct manner than the painting instructions called for, perhaps the brown and green are a bit dark though?

As a build it was really pleasant even though I managed to cock a few things up along the way. Roden has really done a good job on this one. The fit is better than their earlier DIII. Decals proved good, but a bit fragile – I had a few shatter on me, but nothing I couldn’t fix. And I had almost no problem with silvering on these!

Working up an apetite for these early Alabtroses – I’m seruiosly considering a DII in Ottoman markings... Mgunns Encore DII has certainly inspired me even more. Or perhaps a W.4 conversion Hmmm Nope probably a WNW DV/DVa before any of this...

Mikael

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
Very nice D.I Mikeal ! I like the weathering you did and the camo is rather striking .....
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Well DONE! I think your interpretation is correct on this one. I like the weathering, subtle, not overdone! You are correct in saying that overall the DI fits better than the DIII, especially the cowling panels.
RAGIII
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
Terri and RAGIII – Thank You so much for your kind comments – much apreciated

RAGIII, I totally agree – the cowling panels are almost an easy fit on this one.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Mikael:

I have a DI on order from Roll Models. I do like the way yours turned out. I too like the weathering on the underside, adds some interest and perks it up. The nice thing with the Encore kit, is you could do a DI, all the aftermarket stuff you would want are included in the kit.
Best
Mark
 _GOTOTOP