_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Suchoi Su-7BMK - Eduard 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi all

sometimes I just have fun in cutting and glueing plastic. Then I start a new project even if I have a hundred started projects on the pile. honestly I first wasn't all too enthusiastic about the Su-7 re-release, but when I did some research for the kitreport and had a look into the kit I was pretty happy with that and decided to give it a go. Today I got some stuff I ordered for this project: HiDecal decals for Su-7BMKs, fitting Lifecolor paint, and the scoop set by Quickboost:

I started gluing some pieces in the cockpit:

and I used my motortool to grind away the unnecessary plastic on the fuselage. Furthermmore I removed the gills from the fuselage inserts and glued in PE parts:

Not pictured is the nose cone and the exhaust pipe that I also glued together. I am not sure how well I will progress with this build, but it is fun so far...

all the best

Steffen
P.S. I used the German transliteration of the manufacturers name, which is Sukhoi in English
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

I wondered what the teaser was all about.

What markings are you going for on this one? Eduard already seem to offer a good selection, so it must be something unusual...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well I wanted a camo scheme of the Ramadan/Yom Kippur war 1973 and I thought the Egyptian in the kit was. But I was unsure about the scheme in the kit because the Nile Valley Scheme looks a bit different, thus I checked the web and found this decal sheet which has 3 different Ramadan War markings: Egypt, Syria and Algeria.

The Algerian is probably the most interesting, but has "Europe style" arabic numbers the other two have arabic arabic numbers (does that make sense?) anyway I chose the Egypt scheme and ordered paint for that one (I thought it was 3 colour but it is only two colours for the upper side ) ...

Edit: wow I cannot edit my first post ... that is a pretty short time Jim has established now .... I just wanted to add a link to my in box review:

Eduard Su-7BKL/BMK 1/48

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Neat - it's always interesting to see the spotlight shone on less commonly modelled airforces.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, I find those often more interesting because events and aircraft are often not very well known....

here is another picture as there was some colour involved today:

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hi again

There's some great subject matter for future Campaigns - have we ever done an African air forces, for instance?

Nice review, by the way. Keep posting the links - my highschool German is improving... langsam.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, I only provide the links to show the sprues and stuff you get in the box. I do not intend to lure people away from here! Sure there will be a review of the Su-7 soon on Aeroscale, that is much more readable for most of the visitors.

As for an African Campaign: cool idea, but what would you do with Swedish Tunnans deployed in the Kongo or Portugues Ginas? ... an Article about the latter and Olivers(Erlawerke) nicely built model made me want to build one ... luckily I was not able to find the proper box for that project (Heller boxing of the Occidental kit because of engraved panel lines).

but back on topic .... I do a bit of filling and sanding at the moment, as the speed brakes don't fit at all and I want them closed...

all the best

Steffen
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hmmm... very promising, but looks a bit difficult and skill-requiring to me!
Looking forward to the rest!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi Giacomo

Well, it is no Tamiya "shake'n'bake"-kit, but it is not that difficult .... just take your time - and a motor tool helps to get the u/c bumps away for the BMK version .. or you just build a Soviet or Czechoslovak BLK.

Thanks for your coment!

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 02:59 AM UTC
After some sanding and rescribing I put on a thin layer of primer. It is not perfect, but I am o.k. with it ... at least under a few layers of paint

I also managed to add ssome more PE in the cockpit. As many will know this is something I do not really like to build ... and sometimes it shows. I'll keep this area pretty much oob.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Looking good. I must admit I know very little about postwar Soviet aircraft, but I always associate a sort of turquoise colour with the cockpits - was the Su-7's grey?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

the colour is correct maybe slightly on "the dark side", but o.k. I used Tamiya Neutral Grey. The green was introduce during the 1970ies (IIRC)...

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi again

Cool - I just thought I'd better check before you go too far. I always pitied Soviet pilots having to face that weird colour - not my idea of an ideal working environment...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi all

After glueing the tub to one fuselage half I turned to the dash .... it is not really fair to make such photos of so little parts, because the grainy surface is hugely overexposed. and yes I slightly misplaced the panels, but I still think it is o.k.

all the best

Steffen
P.S. Rowan just posted an English review to this very site.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi Again

I just glued in the rhs upper console and attached the instrument panel to it (as per instructions). When this was strong enough I glued the whole fuselage together. The engine exhaust was already glued in for a few days and the fit improved and the nose was mounted yesterday so I could focus on the best possible fit to avoid putty ...

The line you see in the picture is not a step but oozed out plastic/glue .. hope this will help getting rid of the seam.

all the best

Steffen
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's some great subject matter for future Campaigns - have we ever done an African air forces, for instance?
[ ]

@ Rowan - There has indeed been an African campaign ("Siya Africa") back in them olden days when all models sorted under "armorama". I participated with a shiny Ethiopian Saab B 17. I would love have another go at the continent. Maybe an Egyptian Suchoi 7??? Always wanted to build some adversaries to my Israeli fleet!

I'll be watching this build closely, Steffen!

Cheers! // PolarBear

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be watching this build closely, Steffen!

Thank you, Björn! It is fun so far and the "sand & spinach" camo should look good too (even if I originally wanted the Nile Valley scheme)...

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
Just a bump to prevent this is being pushed on page two of LP

BTW it is difficult to get the wings straight without the rudderfin and vice versa too .... and to make it all look good together is a 4-dimensional problem

all the best

Steffen
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.... and to make it all look good together is a 4-dimensional problem

all the best

Steffen

Just the type of challenge we all love, right Steffen ?

Really nice work so far, I'm enjoying watching this build.

Cheers, D
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC
Many thanks, Damian!

Quoted Text

Just the type of challenge we all love, right Steffen ?

There must be a line between a challenge, masochism and insanity ... I do not think I would notice it

This project is faar more fun and much more straight forward, than I expected ... but better not praise the day before the evening ( just a translated German saying, not sure if it is valid in English too )

cheers

Steffen

P.S. those of you that think about buying this kit (and the Quickboost scoops), maybe also want to check the wheels set by Resin Art. ...Hope to get that soon.

http://www.cmrmodels.co.uk/Resin-Art/4904.html
The3rdPlacer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC

but back on topic .... I do a bit of filling and sanding at the moment, as the speed brakes don't fit at all and I want them closed...

all the best

Steffen[/quote]

Steffen, I like closed airbrkes myself, but usually am unhappy with the result of closing them and trying to re-scribe.

A better idea may be to sand them flush them make a tape "mask" around the perimeter of the brake leaving it exposed and the surrounding plastic covered.

You then spray some paint onto the mask and slowly build up the paint so when the mask is removed you have nice clean edges and a nicely defined edge. The new (paint) airbrake will be slightly higher than the surrounding plastic, but it is a good trade off for nice tight edges.

Ryan

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Excellent progress - it's really coming together.

Ryan - that's a great tip. I'll certainly remember it for future builds.

All the best

Rowan
The3rdPlacer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:22 AM UTC
Happy to help Rowan.

You have to pick your battles when modeling! Usually kits that have positionable panels are not ment to be shown closed....they almost never fit right! After being frustrated myself with trying to rescribe them I came across this tip some where I don't remember.

Ryan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hello ryan

many thanks for the hint, though that method does not fit my "working style". I do not mind that the edges look a bit wobbly .. it is just wear and tear. If I had planned a little ahead I would have made new ones from plastic sheet that fit better....

Rowan: yes it is comming together but still a loooong way to go.

Here is how the plane looks now. I did not really nail the angles, but for now it looks acceptable. We will really see it when the u/c is on. I need to fill a bit under the lhs rudderfin and wing root ... but all in all not much. Of course I put some work into the fit before I attached the parts! ---- especially the fin as a slightly upward angled part would never sit flush to a downward curved fuselage so better sand some plastic before you glue and you will save a lot of filler.

Ahh and the lhs fin part is a short shot. There is a bit material missing at the front, but it is not much and an easy fix.

all the best

Steffen
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 11:24 PM UTC
In this pace you're gonna clear your stash before summer holiday...
 _GOTOTOP