_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009- 10 Albatros D.V. Mr.Mox
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 01:24 AM UTC
So, this is my attempt at a WNW kit - its probably not the last WNW kit I will build

I will build mine to represent Ernst Udets plane - one of the more discreet schemes, but i like it.

Got the kit friday and just had to begin working on it right away - this is where it is now.

All input are welcome, as I really is on unknown territory

Cheers/Jan

guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC

"It´s happy days for modellers..." - I agree and your build is coming along very nicely. The engine and interior look great.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 02:05 AM UTC
Welcome to the GB Jan

Excellent start so far , not bad wood grainning either . How did you do your painting on the seat ?
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thanks - sorry for the lousy pictures - I did a new batch that came out much better.

The seat is done with a base color and the other colors "dappled" on to look like a worn out lacquer.

Cheers/Jan

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
Super work, I love seeing everyones differing interpretations of these beautiful kits. I'll be watching you progress with great interest.

One note, I think you have the float chambers on the carb upside down, no biggie especialy if you are puttong the cowls on though.

Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC
You have really made some serious progress on this build. I really like the engine work you did. The other areas are good as well, but the engine really has that 'well used' look to it.
Welcome to the build.

Best
Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Coming along nicely!
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:05 AM UTC
Thanks, I dont think I have ever used so many different colors on one kit before

Quoted Text

One note, I think you have the float chambers on the carb upside down, no biggie especialy if you are puttong the cowls on though.

Keith

'

Damn, you are right - corrected - thanks Keith!

Cheers/Jan

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:33 AM UTC
That gas tank looks great. That is the effect I am hoping to get on mine. Your build is really looking good.
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC
Carl, the brass is Humbrol and as such quite strong when left to dry solid - the green is water-based and when still a bit wet you can rub it of at the edges to let the brass show trough.

Managed to assemble the fuselage today and give the panel-lines a preshading.

Allso gave the supports ?? - some black the frot of the cowl. Normally I would begin with the light color, but since I am going to mix the hull color myself, I prefer masking a color that comes right out of the bottle should accidents happen.

The hull and wings will be painted over several sessions, first basecoat is a mix of white, gray and silver - later when this is dried up, I will mask the ribs in the wings and give the upperside a darker overspray and the underside a light overspray.

Heres the current state:

Cheers/jan
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi Jan:

Your preshading is lookin good. I was contemplating doing the Udet Version, so I will be watching as you progress. It is a plain scheme, but you are making it interesting with your preshading and multiple colors.

Best

Mark
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC
That looks great, the good thing about modelling you can follow the instructions but everyone has there own way of building and painting, and which gives the rest of us hints and tips to do our own, i like the way you have dappled the paint, i am going to have ago with that myself, look forward to rest of your build.
keith
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I am properly taking a lot of my armor modeling "bad habits" over to this build, hope it will hold

Masking galore ....

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC
whatever genre, I can't see why we can't mix methods....especially if the work well. You are really flying with this build and she is looking most promising.

Beautiful

Keith
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:27 AM UTC
Looks really nice, in particular the fuel tank! I am looking forward to the rest of the build!
RAGIII
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanks, I have found a lot of interesting techniques looking at subjects that normally don´t attract my attention, I guess it all goes with being openminded.

Anyway . not entirely happy with the result of my masking, but i think the big black crosses, weathering and a dullcoat will change it alot.

Cheers/Jan

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 12:14 AM UTC
Yes it's a difficult call on masking the wings, the original obviously was doped in silver so you wouldnt get no real structure showing through, I imagine it was pretty much 100% opaque so I might ave been tempted not to shade but just detail pick the ribtapes and maybe just ghost a lighter shade over the trailing edges between ribs. But honestly it's hard to say, maybe check out a neiport build or two to see how they worked the silver dope?

Keith
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Yes, its tricky - I don't know how blocking the silver-dope was compared with other solutions - but the wings will be pretty boring without some kind of effect - I think I will tone it down with a thin mix of white and silver.

Been adding et control wires for the tailplane and been experimenting with some 0.4 mm brass pipe from Finemold - only test fitted and removable for weathering and decals. This method of rigging is surprisingly easy when the eyelets are done in the wings etc.

Cheers/Jan

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 04:55 PM UTC
Go Jan Go ! Beautiful work done so far
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:24 PM UTC
Thanks Terri - I do my best - but right now I have struck a dead-end, more about that later.

Decals are on - and it has really changed the look of the paintjob - its more subdued now in contrast with the big black decals.

Now I have the problem, how to weather it - i have some Pro modeller stuff, I could also use a homemade oil-wash or I could give it the "oil-dot" method I normally would use on my subs ??

I am after a well used but also well kept look.

Current status:

Cheers/Jan
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:28 PM UTC
Excellent work there Jan! I should it will look great once you have weather it!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 03:14 AM UTC
I love the markings ! Will have to do this in 48 scale . Well done so far Jan , turning out very nicely .

For the weathering depending on how far you want to go with . How about doing a pin wash of brown/black mixture for the panel lines with a light over spray of Tamiya smoke thinned down then sealed with dull coat . then over that a dusting of pale or light blue/grey pastel chalk . Wing ribs can be done in the same matter . I guess oil leaks are pretty much the same as building a sub just the air flow would be different , never build a sub so I'm not sure how you do your weathering on one . the rad can having staining around it with browns and black shades of chalk .

I'm probably not the best person for this , but I do hope it helps you out and gives you some ideas .

Looking forward to your next up date
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
It looks great. For weathering, maybe a little dust with dust colored pastels sealed with a flat coat.
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the input - so far I have done the beautiful MG´s - its a good thing, that these later kits includes PE for the sleeve

I have begun the weathering with "oildots" - black, white and sand dots applied randomly and then swiped off first with a damp brush, later with some tissue paper

First a "before" picture:

Then the underside:

And the hull and wings - rather subdued, I am going to ad dusting later when the landing gear goes on.

Cheers/Jan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
Looking very lovely so far Jan .
 _GOTOTOP