_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
New to WWI Aircraft Modeling
chazsmith1
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hi! I'm new to building WWI aircraft - I usually build 1/35th scale armor but I've just started dabbling in 1/32nd scale kits. I bought a Roden Fokker DR I Triplane and a Wingnut Wings Albatros D. V. but haven't started one yet. I've read a lot of your posts in the Forum especially the builds for the Wingnut Wings and Roden kits. You all do really great work! I think it's a whole different set of skills especially the wood finishes and the rigging.

My question is where to do you find all the aftermarket stuff mentioned in the builds? I'd like to find the upgrades made by Part? I've also been trying to find a set of decals for my Roden Fokker by Cutting Edge, The Baron's Tripes Part I. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Charlie

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC
Greetings chazsmith1,

First of all welcome to the early Aviation title. lots of room here for fellow modelers dedicated to the craft. Second there are several thread for these issues.

Never say never again to PE machine guns is one.

Another is one simply called Photoetch frets

And another is Beauty is in the details
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:52 PM UTC
Where you purchase them depends on where you live. Many of the sponsors links around the sides of the pages carry the parts you seek. You can usually order through you LHS.
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi Charlie,

I have one of those Roden DR.I's on the go at the moment.

Aftermarket stuff? It has some of the Eduard photoetch, but only some. It has some Tom's Modelworks guns. It has some of the most excellent Bob Buckles buckles in the rigging, and it has some Archer stitching along the belly, and that's about it*.

Without any of that lot, it still builds up into a fine aeroplane and is a good starter for anyone beginning in WWI. If I had to only take a few of those, I'd have the Eduard Photoetch for the gun barrels and seatbelts, although I'm not convinced they are right, and the rigging stuff from Bob Buckles.

Can't help on decals I'm afraid. I printed my own. Well, they're only black crosses on a white background!

Richard

*I'm not telling the whole truth. There's another three bits of aftermarket stuff, but they can wait for now.
chazsmith1
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 12:59 AM UTC
Guys:

Hi! I really appreciate each of you taking the time to respond to my post. Thanks for all the information on what and where to get started. You've given me lots of reading that will be very helpful once I start building. I've actually started the engine on the Fokker last night. I do come to this Forum every day just to check what's new. Your build posts are very informative, especially all the great step by step pictures. I'm really looking forward to the future!

Thanks
Charlie
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi Charlie

Welcome to the early aviation forums

guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC

Welcome, we're here to have fun.

Mark
chazsmith1
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Stephen:

Hi! I just spent my morning going up to all the forum topics you sent me links for and they were great! I killed 2 trees printing it all out and putting it into my binder! You all add so much detail to your tutorials - far more detail than I ever got from any of the Armor tutorials I've read in the past. I also went up to the links for the aftermarket vendors mentioned so that really helped get me started as well.

Thanks for your help!
Charlie

PS Richard, thanks for your links too, checked them out as well. Also, thanks Terri and Mark for the welcome!
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:07 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Charlie and looking forward to seeing your first project posted here.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi and welcome,

you'll find everyone here willing to give and share tips, techniques, info and more, all of us have something to learn.

Welcome to the Early Aviation commune Charlie

Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi Charlie:

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people, and information freely given. You are correct in that WWI subjects do require a different skillset. Your modeling skills will serve you well. Each subject you do is a foundation for building the next one.
Have fun

Mark
chazsmith1
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hi Everyone:

Sorry it took so long for this reply but I have trouble getting replies to work with my browser. I log in but don't get the Reply screen - the joys of using Morzilla FireFox. Anyway, I finally got in so I wanted to thank you all for the welcome. It's really nice to know that there's someone out there to ask questions of when you are just beginning something new. Have lots to read and digest but I will put up some pictures once I have something worthy of showing.

Thanks
Charlie
 _GOTOTOP