_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Pe-2 Lower Gun Position
MKessler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 08:48 AM UTC
I'm gathering references on the Pe-2 at the moment, and I've run into something that I can't seem to find confirmation on. Can anyone confirm that there are two styles of lower gun positions? I'm not in a location to check my references well, but if memory serves me correctly, there is one that is more streamlined and tapered at the rear that appears to open to the rear to allow direct line-of-sight for the gunner back along the 6-O'Clock low. The other style is more blunt in shape, and includes a trough for the gun to sit in while stowed, and two doors which open downward to allow the gun to be lowered where it was aimed using a periscopic sight. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Matt
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Matt

According to the Crowood book, there were several variations - an OP-2l Machine gun with a 160 degree periscopic sight on early aircraft, twin 12.7 mm UBT guns on later machines, and a 20mm MB-2 cannon installation. Unfortunately the book doesn't really help much with the external appearance from a modelling point of view.

All the best

Rowan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

While not a Pe-2, maybe these pix from a TU-2 can provide some insight:

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/21340
MKessler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 02:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that someone would have the magic answer, but it seems as if I'm more in the dark than ever.

@ Rowan:

Would you recommend the Crowood book? It's a bit pricey these days, but I have seen copies for sale.

@ Frederick:

Thanks for the thought. I do appreciate it.

Matt
Griffon65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 04:46 PM UTC
Matt, I'm not sure how much it will help, but I have The Illustrated Book of Fighter Aircraft by Francis Crosby. It has a page on the Pe-3, but in the photos on the page it also seems to have a couple of Pe-2's pictured.

I can try to email a scan of the page to you of you want.
 _GOTOTOP